Is it worth the Money ?

ClearVHS

Im finally looking to purchase Over watch. Its 40 Pounds on Amazon but i rather buy it digitally on PS store for 55 pounds but im wondering is it worth this price ? Im a trophy hunter and looking for a game just to chill at and this seems to be that game. Opinions ? also how big are the updates all together ?

41Jhg1UypfSljaq0JYfpITlAqlQNe1BwLn6SMwHC

I bought this at launch and for me it's the biggest disappointment of this gaming generation. Not only the game is dull, boring, unbalanced and poorly designed, but the trophy list is terrible. It's the only game in like 80 games I gave up to platinum. Every trophy requires absurd luck and almost zero skill. (like revive 4 allies with a single use of a support's ultimate, that means all 4 of them need to die in the same spot)

You can also see there's a huge difference between user ratings and critics' on Metacritic, which makes me think Blizzard paid the editors for a favorable reception. http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/overwatch

• Like 3

I bought this at launch and for me it's the biggest disappointment of this gaming generation. Not only the game is dull, boring, unbalanced and poorly designed, but the trophy list is terrible. It's the only game in like 80 games I gave up to platinum. Every trophy requires absurd luck and almost zero skill. (like revive 4 allies with a single use of a support's ultimate, that means all 4 of them need to die in the same spot)

You can also see there's a huge difference between user ratings and critics' on Metacritic, which makes me think Blizzard paid the editors for a favorable reception. http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/overwatch

You do realize Metacritic is an accumulation of scores from different gaming websites. I'd doubt Blizzard would pay 18 different critics just for positive reception.

I've never personally played the game, but I've heard polarizing reviews. It's a love/hate game. You'll either love it or hate it, though I think most multiplayer competitive games are like this.

• Like 1

Yes OverWatch is worth the money. I don't really even like first person shooters but it is my current game of the year. It is a good chill game. Even after obtaining the platinum I still play it because it's fun. If you don't boost the Platinum is very hard to get, but if you do Boost it is pretty easy. One of the biggest problems OverWatch has is that you can't really tell if you're going to enjoy it by watching videos. I say take the plunge and buy it, but you may want to wait for other opinions as well.

You do realize Metacritic is an accumulation of scores from different gaming websites. I'd doubt Blizzard would pay 18 different critics just for positive reception.

I've never personally played the game, but I've heard polarizing reviews. It's a love/hate game. You'll either love it or hate it, though I think most multiplayer competitive games are like this.

Triple A games usually have a budget dedicated solely to marketing. This budget depends on how big the company is, but it usually is larger than 10 million. Let's say they paid each critic $5.000 to be in top on metacritic, and that's only 90k for 18 critics. Cheap, but clearly the best publicity you could get, considering the number of people reading gaming sites.

All above is common sense, but I also have a friend working for a popular site who was paid to give a not-so-good game 100 points. This was not Overwatch, but you shouldn't believe critics' reviews are sincere.

Edited by MojoNJojo

Let's say they paid each critic $5.000 to be in top on metacritic.

Those are some pretty easy critics if it only took $5 to get them to rate OverWatch so high.

Seriously though I do understand your point, but that typo really stands out.

I do play a lot of TF2 and it has many similarities with Overwatch

If you like TF2 then there's like a 90% chance that you would like OverWatch.

Those are some pretty easy critics if it only took $5 to get them to rate OverWatch so high.

Seriously though I do understand your point, but that typo really stands out.

There is no typo. In Europe a dot is used instead of a comma to mark large numbers, while a comma is used for decimal marking.

0,5 = 1/2, while 10.000 = ten thousand.

• Like 1

There is no typo. In Europe a dot is used instead of a comma to mark large numbers, while a comma is used for decimal marking.

True, but you used the Dollar sign instead of the Euro sign. Using a dot after the dollar sign means decimal marking. Which makes it a typo.

Im finally looking to purchase Over watch. Its 40 Pounds on Amazon but i rather buy it digitally on PS store for 55 pounds but im wondering is it worth this price ? Im a trophy hunter and looking for a game just to chill at and this seems to be that game. Opinions ? also how big are the updates all together ?

41Jhg1UypfSljaq0JYfpITlAqlQNe1BwLn6SMwHC

simple answer. mojoNjojo is wrong tbh.  most trophy's are not luck dependend at all. u just need to be skilled with ur champs AND know how to flank/backstap properly with ults. if ur a good teamplayer and a good assasin player most of these trophy's wil be easy to obtain.  

mojo just try's to cover his lack of skill with "its a luck based list"   the revice ult.  easy  on push the payload map when ur on attack ur team wil 100% get whiped with a ult. just revive them and you got it,  all quad kils are just positioning and knowledge to.

the game is decent/good. the chars are balanced once you learn them AND their counters.   the only problem rly is that the matchmaking system isn't that balanced and you often get very bad unskilled teams.

Ever watched some gameplay videos? It's worth the money definitely. But a game just to chill? Hard to tell.

It can get frustrating when your teammates have no idea what they are doing and die one after the other. But if you do get decent teammates, have friends you can play in a group with or just don't care about losing, it can be really chill (but never touch competitive mode. There is no chill at all!).

Trophy wise, it looks hard, luck based and may be intimidating, but you CAN REALLY get most of them by just playing the game. I was one of the people who considered not getting the game because of the trophies, but I caved in and after 50 hours of in-game time, I got more than half of the trophies without boosting (only took me so long because I was picking the same characters, even if I've already gotten their trophies :P)! They all came naturally and it's always a surprising and satisfying moment when you hear a trophy pop. :) There are probably only 1 or 2 trophies that are REALLY hard/luck based but nothing a quick boosting session can't fix.

• Like 1

I have also never seen it done like this. Britain still counts as Europe right? lol

But yeah, I'm still debating whether I should get Overwatch, it looks fun and I like Blizzard games but I hated TF2, I'm worried it'll be a huge disappointment.

Triple A games usually have a budget dedicated solely to marketing. This budget depends on how big the company is, but it usually is larger than 10 million. Let's say they paid each critic $5.000 to be in top on metacritic, and that's only 90k for 18 critics. Cheap, but clearly the best publicity you could get, considering the number of people reading gaming sites.

All above is common sense, but I also have a friend working for a popular site who was paid to give a not-so-good game 100 points. This was not Overwatch, but you shouldn't believe critics' reviews are sincere.

You are absolutely correct when you say not all reviews are sincere, that's why Metacritic has the format it does.

If that was the case EVERYONE would do it. If that was the case, why even bother reading the reviews in the first place if it's not worth anything? They are simply one man's/woman's opinion on a game anyways. I think you underestimate the value of one's integrity.

You are absolutely correct when you say not all reviews are sincere, that's why Metacritic has the format it does.

If that was the case EVERYONE would do it. If that was the case, why even bother reading the reviews in the first place if it's not worth anything? They are simply one man's/woman's opinion on a game anyways. I think you underestimate the value of one's integrity.

Critics are giving Blizzard a free pass. For $60, gamers are only getting a third of a game, if that. Titanfall was hammered for its “lack” of content, but Overwatch’s dearth of content is overlooked? Halo 5 was hammered for a short campaign and missing local co-p, but Overwatch doesn’t even have a campaign! Yet it’s a 90 Metascore? Overwatch only has 2 game modes, no co-op, no campaign, no meaningful progression, a handful of maps—yet all this is overlooked. No other title has gotten away with such blatant exclusions. It all proves how critics are not only full of **** they play favorites too.

Crappy matchmaking is the first problem. Random/solo players often get paired with premade teams and get crushed. I see the same problem with Battleborn. It’s absolutely game-breaking. Overwatch favors teams, so groups ought to play against other groups. Instead, Blizzard is pushing speedy matchmaking over quality matchmaking. Most matches are completely lopsided with one team getting early momentum and maintaining it throughout the entire match. If a lobby of random players wins too many matches, Overwatch breaks up the lobby and puts the players in different games. I’m serious. Penalizing random players for winning is bull**** especially since premade teams have the upper hand.

Overwatch doesn’t balance teams either. There’s no limit on the occurrences of each character. In other words, players on a team can use the same character and spam abilities. I recently left a match where all players on the enemy team choose Mei and spammed her ice wall. My team was locked in spawn. I’ve seen other teams spam D.Va because of her ridiculously OP ultimate.

And like all hero shooters, some characters are vastly superior to others. There’s a reason so many people run around as Tracer, D.Va, Reaper, Bastion, and Soldier 76. They’re fast, can self-heal, and are really hard to hit. Despite its composition, Overwatch plays more like COD than Team Fortress 2. The pacing is fast and games aren’t tactical.

Players favor run-and-gun lone wolf play that isn’t conducive here. There’s little incentive to experiment. Bastion and D.Va can easily wipe out entire teams in seconds. Others like Symmetra are high cost, low reward characters. When getting steamrolled, teams can’t wait for Symmetra’s portal to charge up. And since players tend to value K/D over win/loss, deadlier characters will be favored over supportive ones.

Lastly, map design is uninspired. Like Advanced Warfare, it’s hard to distinguish what can and can’t be accessed. Poor map design makes Pharah’s jetpack or Widowmaker’s grappling hook damn frustrating to use at times. Spaces are tight, so players are generally piled on top of each other in a claustrophobic nightmare.

The lack of content is mind-blowing. It’s shameful. Blizzard is clearly capitalizing on its name and marketing to bury the fact Overwatch is a half-baked product. The numerous missteps in game design, server set up, and matchmaking are enough to make me wanna quit. Anyone who gives this game a high score is foolish. I know people are enjoying it, but that doesn’t make Overwatch a great product. This trend of pushing half-finished games out the door has to stop. Now that Blizzard has done it to high critical acclaim, every developer who has hesitated will jump on the bandwagon. COD Infinite Warfare isn’t looking so bad now.

Edited by MojoNJojo

Critics are giving Blizzard a free pass. For $60, gamers are only getting a third of a game, if that. Titanfall was hammered for its “lack” of content, but Overwatch’s dearth of content is overlooked? Halo 5 was hammered for a short campaign and missing local co-p, but Overwatch doesn’t even have a campaign! Yet it’s a 90 Metascore? Overwatch only has 2 game modes, no co-op, no campaign, no meaningful progression, a handful of maps—yet all this is overlooked. No other title has gotten away with such blatant exclusions. It all proves how critics are not only full of **** they play favorites too.

Crappy matchmaking is the first problem. Random/solo players often get paired with premade teams and get crushed. I see the same problem with Battleborn. It’s absolutely game-breaking. Overwatch favors teams, so groups ought to play against other groups. Instead, Blizzard is pushing speedy matchmaking over quality matchmaking. Most matches are completely lopsided with one team getting early momentum and maintaining it throughout the entire match. If a lobby of random players wins too many matches, Overwatch breaks up the lobby and puts the players in different games. I’m serious. Penalizing random players for winning is bull**** especially since premade teams have the upper hand.

Overwatch doesn’t balance teams either. There’s no limit on the occurrences of each character. In other words, players on a team can use the same character and spam abilities. I recently left a match where all players on the enemy team choose Mei and spammed her ice wall. My team was locked in spawn. I’ve seen other teams spam D.Va because of her ridiculously OP ultimate.

And like all hero shooters, some characters are vastly superior to others. There’s a reason so many people run around as Tracer, D.Va, Reaper, Bastion, and Soldier 76. They’re fast, can self-heal, and are really hard to hit. Despite its composition, Overwatch plays more like COD than Team Fortress 2. The pacing is fast and games aren’t tactical.

Players favor run-and-gun lone wolf play that isn’t conducive here. There’s little incentive to experiment. Bastion and D.Va can easily wipe out entire teams in seconds. Others like Symmetra are high cost, low reward characters. When getting steamrolled, teams can’t wait for Symmetra’s portal to charge up. And since players tend to value K/D over win/loss, deadlier characters will be favored over supportive ones.

Lastly, map design is uninspired. Like Advanced Warfare, it’s hard to distinguish what can and can’t be accessed. Poor map design makes Pharah’s jetpack or Widowmaker’s grappling hook damn frustrating to use at times. Spaces are tight, so players are generally piled on top of each other in a claustrophobic nightmare.

The lack of content is mind-blowing. It’s shameful. Blizzard is clearly capitalizing on its name and marketing to bury the fact Overwatch is a half-baked product. The numerous missteps in game design, server set up, and matchmaking are enough to make me wanna quit. Anyone who gives this game a high score is foolish. I know people are enjoying it, but that doesn’t make Overwatch a great product. This trend of pushing half-finished games out the door has to stop. Now that Blizzard has done it to high critical acclaim, every developer who has hesitated will jump on the bandwagon. COD Infinite Warfare isn’t looking so bad now.

Again got to correct you.   the games indeed play more like cod when ur with people who don't know wtf they are doing. but if you play with a decent/good team they go for the objective tactically and don't even care that much about kils unless its to get a enemy out of the way.

you are basing all you say on the small amount of retards that play the game. the same people who are stuck in bronze on league of legends and smite. and can't get a  higher rating then 40 "wich is extremely low btw"  

also soldier 76 reaper etc are NOT hard to hit at all... its just your aim thats bad...  d.va's ult is not op either as even a small pole can block it if u stand behind it...  wich means ur positioning sucks.  stop making excuses for yourself and admit ur just not that good.... stop thinking ur a god while ur not better then a bronze 5 scrub

Edited by DivineFoxy
  • Like 2

you are basing all you say on the small amount of retards that play the game.

stop thinking ur a god while ur not better then a bronze 5 scrub

I am a terrible FPS player, but I am not a terrible person who's bashing others for how they play a video game. Oh, and just because some people are unskilled it doesn't make them 'retards' as you're implying.

In a more philosophical sense of thinking, I believe you could find other ways of fueling your ego's voice, or covering that hollow need for self-appreciation, or whatever emotional reasons you have for acting like a complete jerk on a games' forum. Needless to say you missed the essence of my post... and I even used bold! *sigh*

Edited by MojoNJojo

I'm gonna say yes, it is well worth the money.

I don't even like FPS games normally and I love Overwatch.

I find most characters to be balanced bar a few (though it's probably more because myself or my core group of friends don't really play the counters to said character).

It's probably not a CHILL game, but if your definition of chill is that of which you play a game for fun and having a blast and not just dropping it after getting all it's trophies/playing SOLELY for trophies, then it will probably fit your description of chill.

Even if you get frustrated or tilted at the game like I do sometimes, I just play some Weekly Brawl mode and mess around since no one goes into those to be a try hard.

Speaking of the trophy list, most of it isn't bad, but some will probably require some boosting (Rapid Discord/The Floor is Made of Lava), unless you're a really good Zen/Lucio player.

To reiterate my initial point, I say pick it up, as someone who hates FPS originally, I've spent almost a couple hundred hours on this game already. Since you enjoy TF2, you'll more than likely enjoy the game.