How Do You Handle Your Backlog?

The_Blackout_Kid

I handle it by not handling it. If I'm not poor, games will be added.

Otherwise I try to only play about 2-3 games at a time, but I'm struggling just to get through Deadpool at the moment, which is what's holding me back. I just don't like the game, but I feel I need to push through and get it done, but because I don't like it I put it off for longer which leads to me not playing anything at all.

I usually pick what to by just looking at the shelf and picking whoever has the most interesting looking spine.

I like to think if my games could talk to each other on the shelf, whenever I added a new game they'd be like ''So how long you guys been here?" and then the games that are still in their shrinkwrap after 3 years, talking with really muffled voices like "Too fucking long.".

3 games at a time: 1 retail PS3, 1 Vita game, 1 PSN download that I play on Sundays.

I try to plan 5 games ahead for each format. For my PS3, I usually play a AAA or long game followed by something less intense. For example: I just finished playing Kingdoms of Amular recently, now I'm playing G.I. Joe, and after I'm done with that I plan on playing through Assassin's Creed III.

I have a mega backlog list that I add to every week with every Playstation Blog release post. However, I don't continuously worry about buying the games unless there is a sale. I wait until I actually plat or 100% all the ones I currently own, but besides that I do have the preference of playing easier plats in between the bigger investments (ex: playing a lego game after dark souls) 

Gotta say, it's surprising to see many players with a huge backlog that they have never even touched for years.

What I do is I write a list of games that looks interesting. After it has been released or I see it on sale(I never buy brand new games that are $80, Canada), I take a look at it online on forums like psnprofiles ;). I See if the MP component is active or not, whether it looks fun or is free of game breaking gitches, whether it has unobtainable trophies, etc. I research it a lot. I end up probably saving myself a huge headache from spending money wrecklessley on games that I may dislike. Now I'm not going to lie, I always end up getting a sense of impulsiveness stirring inside of me whenever I see a sale since I'm a sucker for those. However I end up restraining myself at that moment till that sense fades away. If it doesn't fade away then that's an indication that it may not be an impulsiveness of simply buying things but I actually want to play that game.

Also when it comes to playing, I focus on only 2 games at a time, rarely three. I end up clearing them faster this way. In the beginning I used to have a backlog of 11 to 12 games at a time( which I know people say it's too little compared to them but it's A LOT for me), but after getting to know myself, I've reduced this number to probably about 4 or 5 at a time. Once I'm done with those 5 or so games, I go out and buy more.

Edited by poopooblast
  • Like 1

I try to focus on 2-3 games at one time and not overwhelm myself, with a lot of you though in that when their's a sale on, I end up shooting myself in the foot!  I've been looking at trophy lists in more detail before I start playing though, if the plat is unlikely then I'll focus on one of my older games.

I don't let myself get stressed out over trophies, I have 7 games left to do before achieving 100% completion and I'm in no rush to do it. What I normally think when I've finished a game is "I could have done that much earlier" but as long as I don't die then I'll probably get 100% completion on my account eventually, I already got rid of the most frustrating game in my backlog which was Gran Turismo 5 and the rest will come with time, I've done C. Viper and El Fuerte's Hard Trials on Street Fighter IV so it's only a matter of time until I get that done, I just need to find the motivation to get myself back on it. 

It does actually. It isn't obvious you play it on an alt account because of your completion rate.

No, I play on an alternate account because I want check the games out to see if I like them rather than having them on my main one.

I have a decent sized 'backlog' of games that is kinda overwhelming but i've decided to go through them by series though, i'm going through the Far Cry series right now which is going great at the moment then after that i'll finish up the Assassin's Creed series. There's a lot of PS4 games that I want to play but the majority of my backlog is PS3 so I haven't really bought much PS4 games because when I get around to them they'll be a lot cheaper.

• 2 months later...

I don't really "manage" my backlog. I just let it keep getting bigger and bigger. I've come to the conclusion that between the rate I buy games and the rate I finish them it will just keep growing. My backlog is like a Hydra, finish one game and two more takes it place. LOL

This is pretty much me.  But unlike finish off games, it just grows regardless.  Maybe here and there I'll finish off a game.  Sort of like how I used to have my room, a big mess... I'd clean it up... then not long afterwards, it'll just get messy again.

• Like 1

Mostly by feelings of the moment: "Oh, I should play this one!", "Oh, I have to finish/complete this one, I've neglected it for so long!"

Also I have an excel file with colored cells of games (according to their completion) to help me make a choice.

And yeah I'm also one of these players that get their 10 "free" games every month with their PS+/GWG subscription, so yeah the backlog is constantly growing...

I'm currently stopped buying new game unless I really want to get the game day 1 or it's very cheap (because there were few times I bought a game on sale, never touch it and just to see it was listed at lower price in another sale few months later)

Working on my backlog in the following order:

- Physical Game - Release Date

- Digital Game - Purchase Date (I keep a record in excel)

- PS+ game -  Purchase Date (only select 2-3 games that interested me in each month)

Edited by PliskinCobra

I don't buy games day 1 unless I intend to play them the same week. So nothing except the biyearly Tales of and some odd game here or there.

And I don't buy discounted games if I'm unlikely to play them by the time they'll be on sale again and possibly even cheaper.

Saves money and backlog troubles. My backlog is usually at 15-20ish games and I find it just big enough to always have a choice on what I'm going to play next, while not feeling overwhelmed by it.

I only tend to buy games on Day 1 if I'm really hyped for them and intend to start them right away, I only pre order one or two a year anyways. I also developed a new tactic to lessen my backlog by waiting until I have time whenever I buy a game as opposed to buying it whenever I want. It works pretty damn well, I've only backlogged 4 games this year and 2 of them are JRPGs anyways, so those take a while. My backlog is probably at 40 something unplayed games, but I reduced it a lot from 2015 when I had like way more than that. I usually get most new games a few months after they come out if I really want them.

Also, I usually tend to skip out on sales on PSN since I don't like adding to my backlog just because of low prices, and I usually have enough to play at the moment, but a few of the games I bought this year were on sale like Lone Survivor and White Night.