Rise of the Tomb Raider - How are you buying it?

madbuk

100 members have voted

1. 1. How will you be buying RotTR

• Pre-order
    • New @ full price
    • On sale
    • Pre-owned
    • Not at all

I am a huge Tomb Raider fan. I wasn't overly fond of the 2013 reboot in comparison to some of the earlier games (which are arguably my favourite games of all time), but Rise of the Tomb Raider seems to improve on the aspects that I hated about TR2013.

Being a big TR fan, I frequent TR forums and there is a lot of controversy surrounding how Square Enix handled the exclusivity situation (understandably), and a lot of people are saying they'll be buying the game pre-owned so that SE don't see any of their money or support.

Now, originally, I fell under this camp too. But... I've started to question that. RotTR really does look quite good, and I want to show support to the Tomb Raider franchise (despite the misstep 2013 made). This is especially important, to me, as TR2013 sold poorly in SE's eyes despite selling millions - I wouldn't want to see them drop the franchise entirely and have TR be gone for good.

And the more I read about RotTR... The more I'm tempted to pre-order it. The last game I pre-ordered... I don't even know. I don't think I have. But there is something about purchasing a Tomb Raider title that has always stuck with me. I remember going to GAME shortly after Anniversary released and spending a GAME gift voucher I got from my aunt for Christmas. I remember giving my mum money for Underworld and her returning with it from a shopping trip with her friend. I remember winning the Tomb Raider Trilogy from a contest at school. I remember my brother getting a gaming chair and (sadly, with my money) TR2013 and returning home from school seeing it on the chair. It was a magical moment to me.

Do I remember my purchases of other games? Not really. That's how much the TR brand used to mean to me, and I would like to believe I can reach that level again. I probably will trade in my copies of TR2013 and use the money to partly fund a pre-order of RotTR, because I'll get the Definitive Edition back anyway.

With the many, many topics surrounding this that I've seen on TR forums, I was wondering what the people here have to say on the matter.

• Like 1

I pre ordered it from amazon to get the artbook. As far as pre order incentives go, an artbook seems too good to pass up. Plus, I'm done waiting for this game at this point  :lol:

I don't have any problem paying full price, despite having been upset over the timed exclusivity bs. My form of protest came with not buying the xbox version despite having an xbox one. Like the op, I'm a huge fan of tomb raider and don't want to see the series end after this game due to poor sales

How will I be buying ROTTR?

I will be buying it by going to the nearest game shop or downloading on the PSN store. I also could get it delivered by carrier pigeon but I don't want to upset the war veteran downstairs.

Edited by FlareXV

I'll be pre-ordering it so that I can play it early. Also, nothing beats getting a free game along with it even if I've already played said free game (Now that is what i call a pre-order bonus.) I don't have a problem paying full price for it as I've been waiting for years for it's release for PS4 and I've steered clear of all youtube videos pertaining to the game so I still have no idea where her adventures lead to this time and it'll all still be brand new to me.

I'll probably end up pre-ordering the game in the near future. I absolutely loved the original games on the PSone and the PS2 but I still have to play the 2013 reboot. I'll probably end up playing the 2013 within the next 2 months and then play Rise of the Tomb Raider on release. I'm pretty excited for this game :D

Im going to buy it on sale, not because I mind paying 60$ for it, its just that its releasing in a massive storm of games.. I mean Oct-Dec for me is FFXV, VR, Last Guardian, South Park, Gravity Rush, KH2.8.. Kinda feel like I can wait out for it.

SE released it on Xbox the same day as Fallout and next to Cod and Battlefront. Now with Last Guardian, Battlefield, Titanfall.. Jeez?

At the lowest price possible in a good sale below $20...new though cuz I never buy used games.I play TR since the PS1 but I'm not fan of bullshit and I although its rare for me to buy a game at full price...this TR MUST be bought on low price.I'm doin ma part.

Rental, so I guess that counts as pre-owned? Although that's not in protest or anything, I'm just a stingy bastard.

But out of Square Enix's franchises, Tomb Raider seems to perform the best when factoring in age and number of games. Despite the last game not meeting their unrealistic expectations, it still performed better than almost everything else they've put out. Even if this exclusivity deal did more harm than good, I don't think the franchise is in that much danger.

• Like 1

Rental, so I guess that counts as pre-owned? Although that's not in protest or anything, I'm just a stingy bastard.

But out of Square Enix's franchises, Tomb Raider seems to perform the best when factoring in age and number of games. Despite the last game not meeting their unrealistic expectations, it still performed better than almost everything else they've put out. Even if this exclusivity deal did more harm than good, I don't think the franchise is in that much danger.

That's... odd. 9 Tomb Raider titles? There are 11 main ones (1-4, Chronicles, Angel of Darkness, Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, 2013, Rise) and several others (the GBA games and the Lara Croft spin-off series, for example) so I wonder which they're excluding?

Maybe on sale like I always do, my backlog is so huge that I think it's not worth it full price, even if I buy the game now I will not play it soon cause I am playing a lot of games at the moment and will be half the price in a question of months so I think I can wait for the right time. My wishlist have some good games as well, and my number one rule is buy the game that it's not so expensive so in the meantime while completing another game others will lower the price xD