Anyone else going for Fortune Hunter (30 ruins)?

djb5f

So far I have 20/30 runes (I started about a week ago) and foresee this knocking out some of my ultra rare Fight Night and NHL trophies as being my most rare!  0.04% according to this site.

Starting this late has been a bit problematic as it is very easy for a seller to buy up certain cards and control the market since there are so few on the auction house at any given time but it is definitely doable even with a late start.  Just don't wait to long or the supply of cards, especially historical, will dry up as folks are leaving the game!

It is kind of fun, the game within the game, of working the Auction House in hunt of the almighty runes.  I find the 10% tax steep though, not ideal for flipping (it's a 5% tax in NHL which I played a lot).

Edited by djb5f

And finished it!  30/30  :) 

A bit of a grind, for those remotely interested in this, I recommend knocking it out before NBA2k17 is released and certain cards become very hard to find. I was able to do the bulk of this (25 runes or so) in under a week so it is definitely still doable.. 

Well, I wouldn't recommend doing it in a week, as I spent way too much time in the Auction House. I enjoy the game within the game but that was a little overboard. For historical cards, you will quickly learn the market and since there is often only a few auctions up at a time of any specific card, the pricing can be quite volatile, which you can work to your advantage. Regular card market is much more fixed, and slightly declining with each passing day/week.

The thing you need is start-up coin or else it is going to be a real struggle. Start with the historical cards and keep searching through until you find a good deal, way under next auction of the same card. That way you can sell quickly, and make coin even after the 10% tax. Look for value and arbitrage opportunities. I would often buy cards I already checked just to flip them and make more coin as like I said you will learn the market and going prices very quickly.

Good luck!

Oh, and you need to be very organized. I can't stress that enough. Have a printed out checklist of each player for each team (historic) and cross off as you go.

Also depending on when you started MyTeam, some of your "golds" may know be amethyst and will still count as gold. Likewise silvers shifted to gold and so on. I started late after the reclassification so my cards were how they showed today. There are 5 bronze, 5 silver, and 5 golds for each of current and historic.

• Like 1

Great tips. I am doing something similar. Just finished the current player runes and working through the historic players now. But as dj said, try get this done as it will be unobtainable when 2k17 is out.

Not sure if it has been said before, but to add to that, if you search for a player on the auction house from the collection screen and it says there are no cards available, try going to the auction house search and search all cards on that team.

When I needed my last rune which was Nene for Washington, he never appeared on the market. When I did a search for all Washington players, heaps of Nene cards appeared for some reason.

I have been buying all the cards for a particular team, checking and then selling to make it easy to keep track of what I have and haven't checked.

The runes aren't the problem.  Online is more bothersome.  Also, there are certain players where you can't enter their name or there will be no result.  I don't know why that is.  It was the same way with NBA 2K15.

Edited by grimydawg

adam, yes, the fastest, easiest way to search for specific cards is from Collections.  A few times, they don't pull back correctly like Nene.  Or historic Tom Chambers only comes up if you search for historic Jerry Chambers.  But yes, in these cases just search in the AH using a few filters, like gold, historic, Suns for Tom Chambers.  For historic cards, I almost always searched via Collections.  For regular players, I started filling my collection by putting in very low Buy Now or Maximum bids before rounding out with the players I needed.

grimy, I agree the online play now Gold is a whole, other challenging beast, but the runes collection is most definitely a problem for the majority of players or else the completion % wouldn't be only 0.04% (and 37 people tracked by this site)!  It is quite an undertaking even for dedicated trophy hunters.

adam, yes, the fastest, easiest way to search for specific cards is from Collections.  A few times, they don't pull back correctly like Nene.  Or historic Tom Chambers only comes up if you search for historic Jerry Chambers.  But yes, in these cases just search in the AH using a few filters, like gold, historic, Suns for Tom Chambers.  For historic cards, I almost always searched via Collections.  For regular players, I started filling my collection by putting in very low Buy Now or Maximum bids before rounding out with the players I needed.

grimy, I agree the online play now Gold is a whole, other challenging beast, but the runes collection is most definitely a problem for the majority of players or else the completion % wouldn't be only 0.04% (and 37 people tracked by this site)!  It is quite an undertaking even for dedicated trophy hunters.

Not necessarily.  More people play ranked play now or MyPark/MyCareer than MyTeam.  So it's only natural the trophies are a little more common.  If you're not good at the game, you'll struggle online.  Getting runes is easier.  You didn't have to go through the crap I did because you started the game late.  You don't have to worry about updates on players now.  They count for whichever color you need.  Three of my runes were amethyst players and one of my bronze runes got updated to a silver player.  So, runes are much easier to get now.  

Not necessarily.  More people play ranked play now or MyPark/MyCareer than MyTeam.  So it's only natural the trophies are a little more common.  If you're not good at the game, you'll struggle online.  Getting runes is easier.  You didn't have to go through the crap I did because you started the game late.  You don't have to worry about updates on players now.  They count for whichever color you need.  Three of my runes were amethyst players and one of my bronze runes got updated to a silver player.  So, runes are much easier to get now.

MyTeam is extremely popular, and accounts for a major revenue stream. I know for EA, Ultimate Teams are usually the most played mode.

You are half-right on the ruins. In some ways it is easier, no change in card classifications and also price drops but in many other ways, it is much more difficult to b starting this late. There are like 800-900 cards to check and that is a huge amount in a short time (before the market dries up), esp without time to build up MT. What's more is that it is so easy now for people to buy a few of the same card and price lock it at a ridiculous price since there are so few of so many cards on the market at one time.

Factoring all that, people who played from the start obviously have an advantage. I'd wager nearly no one else who started when this was released free on PS Plus, completed Fortune Hunter.

I am working through the historical runs at the moment and already finding it tough because the market is drying up.

1. Haven't seen some cards after checking at random times for several days now...

2. Some cards are priced so high that even if you buy them and try to re-sell them at a similar price, they never get sold

I hope I can knock this one out soon but it is getting more and more unlikely.