How do you hold/use your PlayStation Controller?

D4N11--

If you have some specialities how you use or hold your PS controller post it below.

Personally I hold my right thumb over X and Square, press x with lower part of my thumb and with the  end of thumb I press square.

Right index finger to press triangle and circle (changing position which one I press (If I have to press both in small time I use index finger just like I use my right thumb) so 2 buttons per 1 finger.

Right middle finger to press R1, right ring finger to press R2.

Left hand is normally like most people hold controller. What about you?

What you do with your right index finger sounds quite uncomfortable.

Only fingers I keep on my controller are both thumbs (on the sticks) and my index fingers on L1/R1. Everyone else rests underneath the controller for better grip.

When I played CoD BO3 though, I also had to keep my middle finger on L2 since I used it to jump. Helps to aim + shoot people while you're flying.

Holy crap, you have that crazy claw-like position - I tried holding my controller like that just now and was like "ummm" xD

For me my right thumb is used for Triangle, Circle, Square, X, and the right analogue stick (lower part of my thumb presses X and circle, upper part of it presses triangle, square, and the analogue stick).

The same sort of thing goes with my left thumb on the left side of the controller.

My index fingers rest on R2 and L2 at all times and they move up to R1 and L1 whenever I need to use them. If I need to use like both R1 and R2 at the same time I put my index finger on R1 and middle finger on R2.

Yeah, I do exactly this too. I think most people do.

If you have some specialities how you use or hold your PS controller post it below.

Personally I hold my right thumb over X and Square, press x with lower part of my thumb and with the  end of thumb I press square.

Right index finger to press triangle and circle (changing position which one I press (If I have to press both in small time I use index finger just like I use my right thumb) so 2 buttons per 1 finger.

Right middle finger to press R1, right ring finger to press R2.

Left hand is normally like most people hold controller. What about you?

The way you use your right index finger for triangle and circle sounds really uncomfortable :P. And ring finger for R2? That sounds even more uncomfortable :blink:.

Edited by LucasV9991
  • Like 1

Damn. I can only use my thumb for solely one button whole. My fingers aren't to be fit just as a claw's, lol And I only use my index fingers for the controller's triggers, them being L1 and R1, while I use my middle fingers to reach L1 and L2. Then as for PS4, there of course is the touchpad, but I don't have a preference when navigating it, I use both hands sometimes, and use any fingers, doesn't matter.

Yeah, I do exactly this too. I think most people do.

The way you use your right index finger for triangle and circle sounds really uncomfortable :P. And ring finger for R2? That sounds even more uncomfortable :blink:.

It might feel uncomfortable for the first time, but when u get used to it, it feels natural

For me my right thumb is used for Triangle, Circle, Square, X, and the right analogue stick (lower part of my thumb presses X and circle, upper part of it presses triangle, square, and the analogue stick).

The same sort of thing goes with my left thumb on the left side of the controller.

My index fingers rest on R2 and L2 at all times and they move up to R1 and L1 whenever I need to use them. If I need to use like both R1 and R2 at the same time I put my index finger on R1 and middle finger on R2.

Same with me except that my right middle finger rests between L1/L2 & R1/R2.

• Like 1

Holy crap, you have that crazy claw-like position - I tried holding my controller like that just now and was like "ummm" xD

I hold the controller the same way :)
  • Like 1

With my hands.

In all honesty, right thumb over X and O moving them to Square and Triangle when needed.

Left thumb over Analog and Directional when needed.

Right index finger over R1 and slides to R2 if needed.

Left index finger over L1 and slides to L2 if needed. 

My right thumb also does Start and select.

Really, I only use 4 fingers. I'm like a crab -_-

Same here, that's my default setup. Whenever I need to switch between  :l1: and  :l2:  or  :r1:  and  :r2: really fast, I put my index fingers on  :l1: and  :r1: and the middle fingers on  :l2: and  :r2: ,

• Like 1

What are you guys talking about?

There are no R2 and L2 on Vita :awesome:

Anyway, it depends on the game. If it's trigger heavy one, I switch between using index and middle fingers.

If the game requires all 4 R/L buttons, I hold it the way Mango described.

Talking about D-Pad and PS buttons is pretty pointless, as using anything else than thumb would be a sure-way to hospital with broken fingers =D

In my right hand, the other hand I use for holding my iPad while looking trough PSNP GameGuides xD

My right hand configuration goes as followed:

Finger 1 (thumb) for the X/O buttons.

Finger 2 (middle finger) for the Square/Triangle buttons.

Finger 3 (pink) for L1, L2 and R1, R2

Finger 4 (index finger) for the left analog stick and L3

Finger 5 (ring finger) for the right analog stick and R3

Fingers 1 and 4 for the D-pad

Fingers 2 and 4 for the touchpad.

Edited by Official-ME-

Same here, that's my default setup. Whenever I need to switch between  :l1: and  :l2:  or  :r1:  and  :r2: really fast, I put my index fingers on  :l1: and  :r1: and the middle fingers on  :l2: and  :r2: ,

It's my default set-up and I do as you do too, I use the double finger method in games that frequently use all 4 shoulder buttons. Luckily most don't haha.

It's my default set-up and I do as you do too, I use the double finger method in games that frequently use all 4 shoulder buttons. Luckily most don't haha.

Yay, go claw-method :highfive:

I know what you mean, it took a bit of practice to get used to it for the Mirror's Edge time trials and speedruns.