So what exactly is the point of the atlas quest?

lesk8vaincra

I everyone!

For everyone not yet to the "end" (?) of the atlas interface quest, please do not read this, it may contain spoilers :)

So, i just spent the last 10 hours trying to follow the atlas interface quest, stacking atlas rock (the red ball in the inventory, i don't know their name in english :)) and i finally reached what seems to be the last one.

The atlas thing proposed me to create a new star, which i did. Then, well, nothing happened. When i went out, i discovered the coordinates of a black hole so i went there, entered it.

I'm now in a new solar system, which seems to be exactly the same as any other solar system in the game.
So, what is the point of this quest exactly? Ok, i created a star, then what? Shouldn't i at least be allowed to see it?

Also, when will i be able to find or create atlas passes, that would open some doors in the space stations? I read that the "recipe" will be given by the Gek in "that specific spaceship" (the one with one of these "android" lifeform that can give you the direction to a blackhole or to the next atlas interface), but he already gave me 4 recipe, not a single one of them was the atlas pass :(

Thank you for your answers :) 

For the record, you can just put spoiler tags in your posts to prevent people from reading the wrong thing. Like so:

In answer on your questions,

The new star is the end of the quest. After that you van go to the center if you want, black holes help with that.

I'm not saying I fully agree with the ending of the quest, but it is kind of poetic. The new star is not for you, it is for another traveller to wake up in.

As for the atlas pass, V1 should indeed be obtained from the Gek in the Anomaly. V2 and V3 are kind of shrouded in mystery, though I have to admit that I'm ignoring the bare few who have it because I want to find out on my own.

Concept of the ouroboros: the story ends right where it began, except this time the beginning is not for you but for somebody else, thereby explaining tangentially your own beginning. If seeing that doesn't at least make you say "Hey I see what they did there", then what poetry and literary significance in that will sail right over your head.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

Concept of the ouroboros: the story ends right where it began, except this time the beginning is not for you but for somebody else, thereby explaining tangentially your own beginning. If seeing that doesn't at least make you say "Hey I see what they did there", then what poetry and literary significance in that will sail right over your head.

I thought I would be the only one interested in literary styles so I stopped at "kind of poetic" :-)

Honestly, I've used this a couple of times in my own short stories.

It does not really fit with our meta knowledge though as this universe is not expanding but contains a set number of stars. It's a cool ending though even if it has little to do with the rest of the story.