DLC plans are happening.

Daniel_Shadow170

http://thisgengaming.com/2016/08/15/sean-murray-says-he-was-perhaps-naive-in-saying-no-mans-sky-wont-have-paid-dlc/

"Yes, that’s a quote directly from Sean Murray; “there will be no paid DLC, just patches.”

“When pushed on whether the game will always remain free, Murray couldn’t categorically rule out paid for DLC further down the line, explaining that it could happen if “Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it”.

So what changed this man is laughing at the....consumers is what I'll call you. I hate the dude as a dev,but as a person he's alright keeps lying and not giving a damn.

When are people gonna learn. STOP BLINDLY TRUSTING DEVS!! I don't care if they've made games you liked previously, or if you like the look of their game, just stop trusting dev teams and publishers for fuck sake. 

Make them earn it, stop pre ordering games you don't know a lot about. No Mans Sky the most recent example, they left a lot of blanks on what the game was and still people got insanely hyped up and as a result some have been let down.

Me personally, I'm just naturally cynical towards pretty much every dev out there, I don't pre-order, I wait for gameplay (not reviews) and it's personally saved me a lot of money. I just don't understand why people are so willing to blindly trust any dev because they like the look of the game, look at Aliens Colonial Marines, they showed gameplay that doesn't even exist in the actual version that got released.

Same here, especially that last paragraph, that's what I also do. It's a shame things are currently like this. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they already lost a lot of that when they released a broken PC port on Steam.  :P

I didn't know about that, I don't play games on the PC and never used Steam before. Sounds like an opposite situation from Dragon Fin Soup, the PC version was ok and the console version is completely broken.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

You're harping on a man because he gave a political answer? They asked him if paid DLC is in the cards, instead of saying "No" he said "Ya never know". Instead of predicting the future and then changing his mind, he said "Ayeuhknow." Ask me if I'm going to take up drinking later on. Probably not, but you never know, I haven't been pissed off at life that much yet. And they've already said they're introducing new features as patches later on when they talked about that subject on or about release day. Like being able to get and pilot your own freighter. Different paths instead of the Atlas or Center of the Galaxy path. Etc. Any other game, you guys fawn over the developer because "it's free". These guys, you're ready to castigate them over any perceived fault because it's a niche interest game that got a lot of press. Instead of maybe trying to see if you can try out that niche, or quietly come to the understanding that it's just not your thing, people want to write glowing praise of The Same Fucking Thing Vol #4 and make it their personal mission to sandbag this game without playing a single minute of it.

The problem with the current games industry is that "maybe in the future" means "there almost definitely will be somewhere down the line". because every game and their bloody sequel has to have DLC and season passes now.

I didn't know about that, I don't play games on the PC and never used Steam before.

Yup, it's literally unplayable for many. Some can't even get past the splash screen without it crashing. For others, it just runs terribly, even on hardware that's more than capable enough of running the game. You only have to look at the Steam user reviews to see how many people are having problems. It's unacceptable. At least they can refund the game I suppose, but it's not doing Hello Games any favours with the PC crowd.

The problem with the current games industry is that "maybe in the future" means "there almost definitely will be somewhere down the line". because every game and their bloody sequel has to have DLC and season passes now.

Don't know why NMS having paid DLC would be a bad thing, or a developer changing their mind after the fact would make them the literal worst thing ever. People change their minds all the time, it's why pencils have erasers. You never have to buy the DLC, you're completion percentage is not that precious.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure they already lost a lot of that when they released a broken PC port on Steam.  :P

The biggest issue with the PC port was that players didn't have Visual C++ Redist 2010 and a patch was released to rectify that.  There were also reports of players who didn't have the correct GFX drivers installed (or no GFX drivers at all) and instructions were given on how to fix that.

On the first day on Steam, 212,620 people were playing No Man's Sky at once.

Back on topic, if Hello Games do decide to release paid DLC in the future then I have no issue with that and supporting them as a game developer.  For me, the game was everything I had expected and anticipated so I'm happy to give them my support.

Edited by RachP13
  • Like 2

Don't know why NMS having paid DLC would be a bad thing, or a developer changing their mind after the fact would make them the literal worst thing ever. People change their minds all the time, it's why pencils have erasers. You never have to buy the DLC, you're completion percentage is not that precious.

Yep I totally agree, but just be up front with people, why say no to begin with then bring a curveball out a few months down the line. Just say "We're currently not thinking about DLC at this point, it's possible there will be sometime in the future", it saves the dev's credability because they wont be caught on lying, whether it's intentional or not.

The biggest issue with the PC port was that players didn't have Visual C++ Redist 2010 and a patch was released to rectify that.  There were also reports of players who didn't have the correct GFX drivers installed (or no GFX drivers at all) and instructions were given on how to fix that.

Pretty much why I gave up on PC gaming, so many stuff that can cause you not to not have a good gaming experience, so many incompatibilities, so many programs to install or uninstall, check system requirements to make sure your PC will be able to handled it, drivers, etc...

And since consoles gives developers the most money they obviously put a lot more effort into the PS4 port.

Well deserved, after all those fanboy "PC master race" comments, I'm glad karma took over like someone else said before.

Edited by Gevirein

So you're telling me that that the vast majority of PC players who are playing the game don't have the right things installed on their PC? The same people who use Steam regularly and play many other games with no problems whatsoever? Yeah, I don't think so. I wouldn't believe everything Sean tells you. He's proven to be a liar, I'm just saying.  :P

On the first day on Steam, 212,620 people were playing No Man's Sky at once.

I wonder how many of those got a refund.  xD

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

Yep I totally agree, but just be up front with people, why say no to begin with then bring a curveball out a few months down the line. Just say "We're currently not thinking about DLC at this point, it's possible there will be sometime in the future", it saves the dev's credability because they wont be caught on lying, whether it's intentional or not.

Because saying "No", then turning around and saying "Sorry, we changed our mind!" doesn't make you a "liar" or hurts your credibility. It just means you changed your mind after some thought.

• Like 1

I didn't know about that, I don't play games on the PC and never used Steam before. Sounds like an opposite situation from Dragon Fin Soup, the PC version was ok and the console version is completely broken.

(cries) don't remember me of that bud :( funny that dragon fin soup had so much potential that it hurts to know how the game turned out to be. They for being a really small studio, landed the game to another one to do the port and we both know how lazy that port was. They did however announce something regarding a updated version that allegedly is due for the winter, I just hope they won't ask for more money for those that already had the game or worst make another list and leave us with a incomplete broken one.

As for no man's sky, since announcement I knew this game would be a space exploration game with lots of planets to discover and explore, I did like the game and I'm happy with the purchase. We need to at least give then props because they are a studio made with 15 people I think and is their first big scale game if you try to see as a whole, but it has its flaws and I'm sure the patches will make it work better.

I wonder how many of those got a refund.  xD

Well, out of those, 37,556 posted a review on Steam and they are mainly negative.  However Marketing studies have previously shown that we are more likely to share and discuss negative experiences over positive ones.  

It is definitely one of those divisive games, that people either love or hate.  I'm guessing it's because it falls into a particular niche.  I think because of the amount of hype though a lot of people invested $60 into a game that no one really knew that much about.  I'm personally enjoying it, hence why I do get a little defensive (you should see me get on my high horse about ARK: Survival Evolved :D) - I appreciate though that it's not to everyone's tastes and from an outsider looking in, it can be easy to pick up the flaws (as that's majority of what gets reported) and not see the positives.

I know you have stated that the game is not your thing, but feel free to pop over onto this thread here: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/40023-nms-discoveries-hints-and-tips-thread/ I'm not trying to change your mind at all on the game, but hope to share with you some of the positive (and even some negative) experiences some of the players here have had.  Damon has posted some great videos of his game play experience.

Well, out of those, 37,556 posted a review on Steam and they are mainly negative.  However Marketing studies have previously shown that we are more likely to share and discuss negative experiences over positive ones.  

It is definitely one of those divisive games, that people either love or hate.  I'm guessing it's because it falls into a particular niche.  I think because of the amount of hype though a lot of people invested $60 into a game that no one really knew that much about.  I'm personally enjoying it, hence why I do get a little defensive (you should see me get on my high horse about ARK: Survival Evolved :D) - I appreciate though that it's not to everyone's tastes and from an outsider looking in, it can be easy to pick up the flaws (as that's majority of what gets reported) and not see the positives.

I know you have stated that the game is not your thing, but feel free to pop over onto this thread here: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/40023-nms-discoveries-hints-and-tips-thread/ I'm not trying to change your mind at all on the game, but hope to share with you some of the positive (and even some negative) experiences some of the players here have had.  Damon has posted some great videos of his game play experience.

I think it looks like a fine game. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it doesn't look bad by any means. If people love the game, then that doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm happy for you. I'm glad people enjoy the games they purchase. I just don't like it when legitimate concerns and criticisms people have about the game or developer are dismissed. The game isn't perfect and it definitely has it's flaws. Also Sean's intentions may of been in the right place, but you can't deny he's skirted the truth, or even flat out lied more than once. I just wish people wouldn't be so quick to defend these kinds of things.

• Like 1

Popular games will likely have dlc, you should expect it. Why? Because they actually make money. Who's gonna sit down and make dlc that no one will buy?

So if you get a wishywashy answer it's because they don't know how successful the game will be so they can't say either way.

Because saying "No", then turning around and saying "Sorry, we changed our mind!" doesn't make you a "liar" or hurts your credibility. It just means you changed your mind after some thought.

It doesn't, but this is the internet, they'll take and twist anything they can, sure they'll forget about it and buy the DLC anyway, but why bother putting yourself at risk for negative press. Surely it'd just be easier to say it's a possibility somewhere down the line, but not for now.

In this case I'm almost certain it's Sony twisting his arm to squeeze as much money as they can out the ridiculous hype the game got. So maybe it's not his fault, it's a shame devs aren't more transparent though, everything is so secretive.

• Like 1

I think it looks like a fine game. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it doesn't look bad by any means. If people love the game, then that doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm happy for you. I'm glad people enjoy the games they purchase. I just don't like it when legitimate concerns and criticisms people have about the game or developer are dismissed. The game isn't perfect and it definitely has it's flaws. Also Sean's intentions may of been in the right place, but you can't deny he's skirted the truth, or even flat out lied more than once. I just wish people wouldn't be so quick to defend these kinds of things.

On the surface, it does seem as though they are taking positive steps - hiring a new QA team, moving to a ticketing system for support issues.  As you say the intentions are in the right place.  I can't help but wonder how much influence that Sony holds in all of this, I read the article from the Daily Star Online and the reporter asks Sean about whether the game will come to Xbox One, his response is vague and then the Sony rep steps in to move the interview along

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/537967/No-Mans-Sky-Updates-DLC-Paid-Xbox-One-release-PC-PS4-Review-Best-Deals

I've seen some sketchy comments about how No Man's Sky will run differently on the Neo and that it will fundamentally change the core experience.  There is reference to it in that article.  I think that's the thing that concerns me the most over and above paid DLC.