New Metal Gear announced - The end ?

Natsuu24

Ummmmm.......as an "old school gamer" who grew up with Castlevania, Double Dribble, Blades of Steel, Snatcher and, of course, Metal Gear (which, for some reason DIDN'T originally come out as a flagship Konami title at first but rather under a Konami subsidiary named "Ultra") I REALLY wanted to give yhem the benefit of the doubt. Really. But damn, that is most definitely a crap @$$ money grab that does nothing for the franchise or the company.

• Like 1

I fully expected Konami to continue to make Metal Gear games, and I'm glad they are. It's a zero-loss situation for consumers. Either they make a great game and I get to play more great Metal Gear stuff, or they make a bad game and I've effectively not lost a thing.

I'm not sure where this goofy mentality comes from. You don't want other people to touch your beloved franchise? As if you've laid a personal emotional claim on something you were never entitled to from the start. It's not your game, your franchise, your anything. You're just a consumer who either buys their product, or leaves it on the shelf. That's it. That's where your entitlement ends. That's where your emotions should end. The only relationship you and Konami have is one of supply and demand. There's no betrayal, destruction of childhood, abuse of what you love, etc. Just a business offering you the opportunity to buy their services, or ignore them.

With that said, I will stay open minded and check it out. Maybe it won't be bad at all. Rising wasn't bad and that wasn't Kojima. And in the end, if you don't like it? Don't buy it. Easy.

• Like 3

Remember what he said... "MGS game without my hand, its not canon"... 

The saga already live too long, and its time to end, because every story is already told. And Kojima knows the history of mgs and every detail better than anyone, so, its why MGS need her hand to continue, and not another writer. I would like to see Sony buy the rights of the game with Kojima, and do some remasters, and start a new history, a lot of years later, with new characters, historys, everything new, but some easter eggs relationated to MGS, maybe sons or something.

But continue the history of Big Boss, Solid, no... Is already end, and we dont need alternate universes or something...

Not sure what is so hard about this, but Kojima didn't want to continue the series. I don't think Kojima wanted to do the last game, and neither do I think he got to do all of what he wanted with the game either.

I don't buy into the cult of personality attached to Kojima. And the given data here is pretty sparse. But that didn't appeal to me.

They announced the new game yesterday or something, it's basically another zombie game.

So here I ask again, anyone who is a fan of the series: can you tell me exactly why this looks like a bad game to you? I'm honestly interested. In my first post I've explained that it seems like it could be a fun game to me and what I like and don't like about MGS.

Because this looks like garbage. Like yet another generic Zombie DLC.

As someone who got into the series on the PSX demo disc and has played every single one, I fail to see the MGS essence on it, Kojima in or not.

There is no stealth or anything just a plain third person shooter with zombies in a parallel universe or whatever.

As for why the "religious status" attributed to our lord and savior Kojima, well, it's because you like it or not, he's one of the most creative minds in the industry.

It would be like neglecting the fact technically Carmack was one of the brightest minds the industry had (even if Doom/Quake were very simplistic from the story/character development side). Same goes for Tim Sweeney and Co. who made a business out of selling their engine to other developers to create games on and remained as one of the best engines there was for a long time.

So yeah, those are big guys in the industry whether you like it or not.

Example: I don't give a shit about Michael Phelps, but who's gonna deny his super athlete status (Unless he was to pull off an Armstrong soon)?

Some things are the way they are. And in the universe of generic recycled garbage we like to consume on our Consoles/PCs/Handhelds, there are some minds above good and evil. Kojima is one of them.

The guy who said why the sentimental entitlement or what ties us to the franchise, just don't buy it, etc. It's part of everything. Just like watching a good movie that gives you goosebumps then seeing the next 12 iterations on the franchise go to hell.

And it's a catch-22 too. Because MGS has always been about X. And now they wanna pull a Z on it. Why using the title "MGS" on it? Exactly. Because they want "fans" to come and keep on raising those stocks. They are precisely appealing to that sentimental entitlement that Big Boss and everybody in the universe belongs to us in some sort of way.

If we were talking about a generic platformer with no story, no sequence, like Mario, then yeah, they can keep on releasing 2 games per year and "fans" won't feel that bad about it.

MGS has always been about a story, character development, politics, war, superstition, and a lot of topics. There is a lose sequence, an universe going around it. That's why there's so much restrain when looking at this new game from longtime series lovers/addicts.

• Like 1

Because this looks like garbage. Like yet another generic Zombie DLC.

As someone who got into the series on the PSX demo disc and has played every single one, I fail to see the MGS essence on it, Kojima in or not.

There is no stealth or anything just a plain third person shooter with zombies in a parallel universe or whatever.

As for why the "religious status" attributed to our lord and savior Kojima, well, it's because you like it or not, he's one of the most creative minds in the industry.

It would be like neglecting the fact technically Carmack was one of the brightest minds the industry had (even if Doom/Quake were very simplistic from the story/character development side). Same goes for Tim Sweeney and Co. who made a business out of selling their engine to other developers to create games on and remained as one of the best engines there was for a long time.

So yeah, those are big guys in the industry whether you like it or not.

Example: I don't give a shit about Michael Phelps, but who's gonna deny his super athlete status (Unless he was to pull off an Armstrong soon)?

Some things are the way they are. And in the universe of generic recycled garbage we like to consume on our Consoles/PCs/Handhelds, there are some minds above good and evil. Kojima is one of them.

The guy who said why the sentimental entitlement or what ties us to the franchise, just don't buy it, etc. It's part of everything. Just like watching a good movie that gives you goosebumps then seeing the next 12 iterations on the franchise go to hell.

And it's a catch-22 too. Because MGS has always been about X. And now they wanna pull a Z on it. Why using the title "MGS" on it? Exactly. Because they want "fans" to come and keep on raising those stocks. They are precisely appealing to that sentimental entitlement that Big Boss and everybody in the universe belongs to us in some sort of way.

If we were talking about a generic platformer with no story, no sequence, like Mario, then yeah, they can keep on releasing 2 games per year and "fans" won't feel that bad about it.

MGS has always been about a story, character development, politics, war, superstition, and a lot of topics. There is a lose sequence, an universe going around it. That's why there's so much restrain when looking at this new game from longtime series lovers/addicts.

On a tangent: Exactly how involved was Carmack with DOOM once it stopped being DOOM 4? It looks like he had little to no part in the process. I loved the new DOOM, have to say I never played any DOOM before though except the first minute or so of the first one.

I understand how removing a creator can be tough, like how Community changed after they fired Dan Harmon, haven't even watched the final season of Gilmore Girls but that's supposed to be bad too. If you have someone with respect for the franchise though, you can end up with a marvel, like how we got The Force Awakens - only a bare few will challenge the opinion that that movie was better than the last three Star Wars films by Lucas.

I'm definitely in camp "Kojima is overrated", but let's not open that can of worms. Having liked Ground Zeroes but not Phantom Pain, I would have not minded Konami moving on with MGS if it meant they went all-out on the stealth and story part and toned down the supernatural stuff (and if there's female characters I would prefer if they didn't get some silly excuse to just walk around in a bikini without talking). I know the die hard fans will argue that the supernatural has always been a part of the series, but Ground Zeroes was perfect for me and that didn't have anything out of the ordinary except the aforementioned ultra tech.

Well, we agree to disagree and there is no point to obviously keep on going "there".

Some people like Kojima.

Some people are neutral.

Some people kinda dislike the guy.

Some will move on.

Some will have resentment.

Some will pass on this game.

Some will say they'll pass and get it used for $10 on Amazon.

Some will get it day one.

And life goes on  :D

On a tangent: Exactly how involved was Carmack with DOOM once it stopped being DOOM 4? It looks like he had little to no part in the process. I loved the new DOOM, have to say I never played any DOOM before though except the first minute or so of the first one.

Not involved. Carmack left the building ages ago, to pursue his endeavours on Space/NASA/Whatever the hell he's doing now. Think Rage was the last thing the guy did for ID.

And as a big fan of the Doom series.. I haven't played the 4th one, will eventually, but hated the MP, as it is now a generic experience and not the Quake 3 Arena successor I was hoping for.

I cringed this whole trailer, but im happy this isnt a kashinko machine right :awesome:

but seriously a zombie game who uses the mechanics of metal gear solid, sorry but I only see that failing. (or some how the zombies have guns so stealth can be important then) also I think that without the twisted mind of Kojimabae this game will be pretty basic and not to interresti ng.

Edited by MvP-BumperKlever

Not involved. Carmack left the building ages ago, to pursue his endeavours on Space/NASA/Whatever the hell he's doing now. Think Rage was the last thing the guy did for ID.

And as a big fan of the Doom series.. I haven't played the 4th one, will eventually, but hated the MP, as it is now a generic experience and not the Quake 3 Arena successor I was hoping for.

There's multiplayer in the game?

Seriously though, I tend to ignore just about all multiplayer stuff. I care little enough about trophies that I didn't even do the multiplayer introduction in Uncharted 4 yet, or did a snapmap in DOOM.

I just think that DOOM is an awesome single player experience and that's all that matters to me. And it's a small miracle since I almost never like FPS games.

I can't support this. Not without Kojima. Looks like that is the overwhelming consensus due to the like/dislike ratio on YouTube.

I wonder how the ratio would have been if it was just Solid Snake or Big Boss sitting in a jungle, then aiming a sniper rifle at something in the distance.

Or standing on a beach, naked, crying and with a baby in his hands.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I cringed this whole trailer, but im happy this isnt a kashinko machine right :awesome:

but seriously a zombie game who uses the mechanics of metal gear solid, sorry but I only see that failing. (or some how the zombies have guns so stealth can be important then) also I think that without the twisted mind of Kojimabae this game will be pretty basic and not to interresti ng.

We both know it will be fuck konami news, ammirite?

If you don't know what fuck konami news is, it's the news that makes you go, fuck konami!

Anyway, this is among the laziest they could have done. No more complicated story etc, just put some zombies in there.

Edited by MMDE

We both know it will be fuck konami news, ammirite?

If you don't know what fuck konami news is, it's the news that makes you go, fuck konami!

Anyway, this is among the laziest they could have done. No more complicated story etc, just put some zombies in there.

Still better then a pachinko machine :awesome:

But yes you can say fuck konami for this news

Edited by MvP-BumperKlever

My wife brought my attention to this the day of. What follows is the approximate transcript of our conversation:

Her: Did you hear about the new Metal Gear game?

Me: Yeah.

Her: What are your thoughts on that?

Me: I think it's hilarious. Day one purchase 'cuz it suits my sense of humor.

Her: Really?

Me: Yeah, although I'm not sure which is more funny: That they decided sprinkling in zombies for flavor into (volume increase for emphasis) Metal Gear was a sound business decision, or the howling legions of butthurt 20-somethings shrieking that Metal Gear is (air quotes) ruined forever. Like it doesn't already reek of Kojima's piss after Five.

Her: (thinks it over) Definitely the reaction.

• Like 2