Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Game Discussion

PipeSwinger

I've heard this from a few people. It's a shame, because apparently the rest of the game is very good, even if it's lacking in content. It screams sequel bait to me. I guess that's to be expected from Square. Human Revolution had a whole chunk of the game missing that they later added as DLC, so this isn't the first time they're pulled this. It's even worse when it's the ending that feels incomplete though.

To offer a different perspective, during my 40+ hour playthrough of the game I never even once felt that there was something missing or that there wasn't enough content. The main storyline is absolutely fine, it has a clearly defined beginning, middle and end and there's a large number of compelling side missions that fit right in with the rest of the narrative. I'm not sure why people would think that the story is incomplete, my guess would be that they blasted through the main story missions without stopping to read the newspapers, emails, talk to NPCs and otherwise "connect the dots" themselves. Or maybe they expected this to be the final game in the series where all the illuminati stuff gets resolved? In that case yes, there's plenty of room for future sequels, but the story they wanted to tell in MD is complete and, as I think, quite satisfying.

To offer a different perspective, during my 40+ hour playthrough of the game I never even once felt that there was something missing or that there wasn't enough content. The main storyline is absolutely fine, it has a clearly defined beginning, middle and end and there's a large number of compelling side missions that fit right in with the rest of the narrative. I'm not sure why people would think that the story is incomplete, my guess would be that they blasted through the main story missions without stopping to read the newspapers, emails, talk to NPCs and otherwise "connect the dots" themselves. Or maybe they expected this to be the final game in the series where all the illuminati stuff gets resolved? In that case yes, there's plenty of room for future sequels, but the story they wanted to tell in MD is complete and, as I think, quite satisfying.

While this helps alleviate my fears about the lack of content, I'm still concerned about the ending. I've not heard a single good thing about it. Most people seem to agree that it just ends abruptly. Now I'm fine with them wanting to make a sequel to Mankind Divided, but they don't have to make it so obvious it's the middle game in a trilogy. I thought Human Revolution had a very good ending. It doesn't help matters when there's already DLC getting released later this month. We already know Square like cutting up their games, so I just can't trust that they didn't remove content planned for the main game so they could sell it to us as DLC, especially when it's this soon after release.