About to smash up my TV......

acemodder

OK. Your plan will be put into action.

Yeah what you want to do is just do small little taps with the d-pad when you need the Chocobo to turn. A tiny tap will have him going in the right direction. There is still some luck involved but I seriously went from quitting the game forever to earning this trophy in 3 turns (each turn improving my time more and more)

Yeah what you want to do is just do small little taps with the d-pad when you need the Chocobo to turn. A tiny tap will have him going in the right direction. There is still some luck involved but I seriously went from quitting the game forever to earning this trophy in 3 turns (each turn improving my time more and more)

True story. The key is patience with both challenges.

honestly the lightning dodging didn't really give me too much trouble aside from the boredom from running in circles over 200 times.

chocobo rider, on the other hand... how the fuck does over 25% (16% in PSN) have that trophy? it was my platinum blocker for quite a long while after trying an entire fucking day only to end up at 12 seconds as my best score. I randomly went back to it after almost 2 years and somehow lucked out within about 10 tries (12 balloons, 0 birds, around 34 seconds), after which I promptly jumped around the house like a madman for 10 minute straight.

• Like 2

even using the location and method stated here im failing hard.

After you dodge, wait a second. Then run in to trigger the next one. If you run in too fast sometimes it won't register the previous one as being completed and it'll trigger as you're leaving or moving around or something. So run, jump pause, repeat.

I did it like 3 different times legit on ps2, then heard about this trick when playing ps3. This method is sooooooo much easier and faster. You can also turn down your house lights and turn off any extra noise.

• Like 1

The chocobo is even worse. At least the controls and gameplay during lightning dodge make a modicum of sense.

This.  I struggled much more with this one than the lightning bolts on the PS3, and I agree, it was really bad on the eyes on the PS2 as well.

Don't give up, OP.  Take breaks if needed and follow that picture/video guide for triggering them yourself.  

I feel for you man and I'm routing for you!

Cant offer any words of advice on technique but agree with some of the others, in the past on tricky segments or boss fights I've left it a day or 2 and gone back and managed to do it. Just need a clear head.

Good luck bro. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I used a different method than the above, and I think it is easier. While I remember I sweared a lot because of this minigame 15 years ago (when I first played it on PS2), I tried today and managed to do it easily.

Here's my strategy. You need to go in a 'hidden area' on the right of the first section of Thunder Plains (there is a Cactuar stone there). Go to the far right of this hidden area and start dodging the first strikes, without EVER moving your character. You will notice that here 2 lightnings strike after a fixed period of time: one of them strikes after 3 seconds the one before, and the other one strikes 6 seconds after the one before, and so on. It's basically a loop of 2 lightnings.This way, you can predict when the next lightning will strike, and you will be able to concentrate more and stress less.

Don't count seconds, just think "Ok, the next one will come soon (3-seconds lightning)" or "Ok, the next one will come later (6-seconds lightning)". Also, don't count the lightnings you've dodged, because you'll lose concentration soon - just decide your 'finish time' (I suggest 75 minutes).

This way, I personally managed to dodge 480 lightnings before getting tired and hit. I also used a 10 ms monitor for this (I didn't even try with my 30+ ms TV). 

Hope it helps someone.

Edited by RainyDusk

• 2 weeks later...

When something extremely arbitrary like this exists, even completing it doesn't make me feel accomplished. I simply do not have fun doing repetitive minigames like these. Any minigame in FF7 was at least fun to play, but this is like a metaphorical flappy bird. 

The trophy has nothing to do with the game, even if it unlocks crap. I sometimes feel developers are completely out of touch what is fun and what isn't. Then again, I'm finding more and more elements of Japanese gaming design to not follow in line with my tastes as I get older, apart from, ironically, Nintendo.

• 1 month later...

Dumb trophy. I didn't have THAT hard of a time to get this POS after I found the "make a circle between the crater and the two black dots", but after two short tries, when I was at 197 my neighbor started blasting a horrible version of Happy Birthday to You in full volume for his annoying kid, throwing me off guard only the time it takes to get a lightning up my ass. I got it the next , made it to 220 to be sure I was counting right. 

Finally got it. The crater trick works well. It's not really a hard trophy, just a game of patience. It helps doing it on the Vita as well, due to no input lag (meaning that if you press right as you see the screen flash you are guaranteed to dodge). You definitely want to take breaks of 5 minutes or so after every 25 dodges or so. After I counted to 200, I just kept on doing as many as I could without counting and I got to 267.