Black/White World Tendency

AJ_Radio

The other night I decided to play Demon Souls again. It was an enjoyable experience and my character isn't too far from killing the Spider boss. I've literally done nothing much in this game, for some reason I stopped playing last summer and didn't pick it up again until just this weekend.

There is an extensive guide on farming stones, duping, and acquiring all spells/miracles/rings, but some of the items you need require you to be in black tendency. As far as the Dark Souls games and Bloodborne go, there is no character/world tendency, which in turn makes the game more clear cut how to obtain all weapons/items if a player knows how to obtain them without meeting some special prerequisite. The Dark Souls games require a New Game Plus or NG++ to obtain all the gear and weapons, but in Demon Souls this involves relying on RNG to obtain stones to upgrade weapons, and require your character to be in either white or black tendency collect a certain ring. I'm guessing this is why a lot of players don't have the platinum, not so much that they don't know how to properly kill enemies and bosses (and you still die to the lowest level enemy if you're not careful, even at high levels).

I've played World of Warcraft and Runescape for thousands of hours in the past so I'm no stranger to grinding to collect an item I need/want. But I'm a little lost in how exactly to go about character/world tendency. It makes sense to go for items that require white tendency and then wait until a later playthrough to grind out Soul levels so you can be ready to have an area reach black world tendency. So far I think the game is great and encourages players to play several playthroughs just for the experience.

Edited by Ian Lee

Well, it's definitely much easier to get Black World Tendency. Should go for the White World Tendency items first, and you can then get the BWT items afterwards in the same playthrough. But yes, they definitely encourage multiple playthroughs. Who the hells plays through a Souls game only one time anyway?  ;)

It's definitely a game that requires one to take their time.

For a while I thought there's no way I'm ever getting a platinum from Demon Souls anytime soon, but it looks pretty manageable if one knows how to take advantage of Black/White World Tendency. From what I've read Dark Souls and Bloodborne do not have this, you have to play multiple playthroughs because certain items don't unlock until the 2nd-3rd go around.

These games are difficult to get into but once one is getting used to the mechanics it's hard to let go. What I'm probably going to do if I ever get around to it in the coming weeks or months is finish this game the traditional way, then on the second playthrough start focusing on the stones and the items that depend on world tendency and character tendency. I would hate to have a few items left that I cannot get until another playthrough because I screwed up something earlier.

Both.

I'm just wondering how best to go about world tendency. If you played the game extensively it's pretty obvious but for me it's a bit confusing. There is also pure black/white character tendency and the gold trophies that have you collecting all rings and weapons require your character to be in that tendency. I do know in Soul Form if you commit suicide it does not affect World Tendency, however if you are in regular form and you die several times you can go from Pure White to Pure Black World Tendency, and this in turn makes enemies more powerful and certain items can only be obtained during that tendency.

Should I play the game as intended firsthand and then focus on getting all the weapons/rings/miracles in subsequent playthroughs?

Edited by Ian Lee

Both.

I'm just wondering how best to go about world tendency. If you played the game extensively it's pretty obvious but for me it's a bit confusing. There is also pure black/white character tendency and the gold trophies that have you collecting all rings and weapons require your character to be in that tendency. I do know in Soul Form if you commit suicide it does not affect World Tendency, however if you are in regular form and you die several times you can go from Pure White to Pure Black World Tendency, and this in turn makes enemies more powerful and certain items can only be obtained during that tendency.

Should I play the game as intended firsthand and then focus on getting all the weapons/rings/miracles in subsequent playthroughs?

Well I personally would just play through the game without worrying about trophies too much, you'll unlock all the story-related trophies (just make sure you get the optional bosses too and choose the Good ending. Bad ending has no trophy). If you wish, you can get the BWT items on this run already. It's a lot easier to get BWT than WWT and that way, you won't have to worry about them on your next playthrough. And if you explore well enough you'll probably clear out a big chunk of those weapon and ring requirements, too. Your next playthrough will be noticeably harder but you have a much stronger character now and a lot more experience regarding enemy and boss movesets and whatnot, and here you should aim to get the WWT items. Just look up a guide for them.

DO NOT under any circumstances consume boss souls. You'll only be able to get one of them per playthrough (unless you dupe) and you'll need them for your spells and miracles.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the non-rare weapons. I recommend farming for those Pure Stones this playthrough, or maybe get someone to drop them for you. But just do it after you defeated all bosses and are able to experience the last sequence and subsequent ending. 

TL;DR version: Play through the story as intended, if you want to save trouble & time during your next playthrough, get the BWT items and Pure Stones (such as Pure Spiderstone, Bladestone, etc) now.

Edited by Bubblyfishes

Play through as normal in soul form. Leave the final boss of each world alive. Once you start messing with tendency only play offline. (reasons) When you're ready, turn human then suicide in a world enough times to hit black world tendency (3 or 4 usually, 7 is the most you'd have to do.). Once you have died enough times, leave and come back. This locks the world at pure black until you leave again. Stay in soul form again while you finish the level. Get everything you need from that world (pure black) . At no point once you've decided to do this should you leave a world for any reason until black tendency is finished. Once you have all rings, weapons, spells, miracles, etc. Kill the world's black phantom and primeval demon, then go kill the final world boss. This gets you +7 world tendency, pushing you to pure white world. If you leave between the phantom and demon - Congratulations, you've necessitsted a 2nd run. :(

When all 3 are dead, leave to the nexus, suicide, and reenter the world (now pure white) Get all the white stuff done. Don't kill the white phantom yet though.

Repeat for each world. Once you've killed all the black phantoms you'll be pure white character, get your ring. You should now have 5 pure white world's, and be pure white yourself, time for a killing spree. Go kill each white phantom, getting their items and making yourself darker. Now is also a good time to do the killing people quest, at the end of that you'll be black and get your foe ring.

It goes without saying but this should absolutely be the last thing you do before finishing your first run.

If you have specific questions feel free to pm me.

• Like 2