Nioh Beta Discussion Thread

Aranea Highwind

nioh_screenshot08-600x338.jpg

Not be confused with the Nioh Alpha we had a couple of months ago. Have you been enjoying the new changes such as the removal of the weapons durability, reworked stamina system, etc.? 

The removal of weapons durability is something that will benefit a lot of people, as i know a couple of my friends were not able to clear the 2nd stage during the Alpha as all of their equipment broke constantly.

By completing the beta, players will be able to obtain the "Mark of the Strong" DLC for when the game is released.

This time Nioh will feature a co op mode similar to the Dark Souls games on which the players have to put a password in order to join the other player session (photos courtesy of renatabls)

LIVhhHF.png

SiZcgz5.png

WthSfd3.png

MxLN4rd.png

6mvlyul.png

Edited by Paige
  • Like 3

If you didn't play the alpha, they are giving you a chance to get "Mark of the Conqueror" again. Here is the US link.

If you missed the alpha, then worry not: On top of the new areas, the beta also brings back the alpha's content in full, allowing players that missed out on the alpha to earn the Mark of the Conqueror. Players that already have the Mark of the Conqueror may skip the alpha areas, and proceed to the new zone immediately. Additionally, there are also “Twilight” versions of the old stages, which have altered enemy types, new bosses, and better equipment drops.

Edited by skateak

Fired this up today and played it for a solid while. Had to stop for the day at the shoreline with the ship. 

I didn't play the alpha so this was my first go and overall, I'm enjoying what I've played so far. I definitely had to un-learn some Dark Souls habits though. I had some stupid deaths since I was pressing  :r1: to attack instead of  :square: , and  :circle: to dodge instead of  :cross:. What's weird though, is that only  :cross: to confirm was changed in localization only for the menus and  :circle: was kept for the rest, such as picking up and searching for items. It throws me off, I kind of wish that it was consistent throughout. But I'm sure the more I play, the more I'll get used to it. 

There's some solid weapon variety here for a demo. Katanas, axes, spears, bows, pistols, really good stuff. I also really like stamina recover mechanic. It's kind of like a mini rhythm game, and it rewards you greatly for nailing the timing after an attack. It's quick and satisfying, and makes combat a joy. The enemy variety is pretty lacking though, just your basic mobs with standard weapons and attack patterns. The occasional demon presents a good challenge, but most of them follow the same attack patterns as well, so take down a couple and you really nail it down. But this is just a demo, so you can't expect to much to be revealed. But hopefully variety is there in spades for the full release. The level design is also carefully crafted as well. It captures the reason why I love Dark Souls 1 so much. Exploration and careful examining is critical to surviving, and it's just a massive sigh of relief to open that shortcut to the shrine. 

Something I really like is the choice to choose your frame rate. For me personally, reducing some sharpness to increase the frame isn't even a sacrifice, it's the only choice. I really wish more games gave players this option, because I would choose 60fps 10 out of 10 times. The game still looks great even with sharpness reduction too. 

Hopefully I can knock this out tomorrow or Friday, and perhaps they'll let you fight a boss at the end? It's kind of amazing how dense this demo is, I don't think I've ever spent this much time on one and NOT finish it. But what I've seen so far, I've really liked. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this game's development :)

Sorry for such a long post too :P here's a cute kitty:

hello_cute_kitty.jpg

Edited by slash
  • Like 1

I have this downloading now. I played the Alpha back when it came out, and while I really like the idea of the game, I felt like it had some odd mechanics and some questionable design decisions. Despite loving the Souls games, I just couldn't push myself to get to the end of the Alpha. I'm glad to hear that they've been taking the criticisms on board and are open to change. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I thought it sucked. I went through the tutorial, but quit part ways into the first mission. I hate the mechanic by which you get back your stamina. I also think the stances are stupid. 

This game needs to change a lot before I consider anything other than an 80% or better purchase.

Edited by starcrunch061

Great fun, thoroughly enjoyed it.   Really can't tell if they've toned down the difficulty or it's just a case of having played through all the alpha I was familiar with it, and the removal of durability might have played into this too, still not too sure how I feel about that aspect tbh.   There are indeed bosses, like the alpha, and I suppose the sub missions have their bosses too, especially the 1 v 1 samurai fight which was a real tussle.

I especially like the 'twilight' versions of the levels, appreciated the different atmosphere, new enemies and some changes in enemy placement, something which I've griped about in Souls games for a while.  It's a much better take on new game plus, and gives the impression it'll be more enjoyable to replay than a straight up running through the same game with increased enemy health and damage etc...   Liked the forging equipment, wasn't too clear what soul match was all about, or how it worked exactly, but seemed interesting.   And have to say Souls, that's how you do an illusory wall!  :)

It's looking good, tough but fair, enjoyed the stamina mechanic, which involved further benefits with skill unlocks like destroying Yokai pools or knock-back and damage to enemies etc...   Controls feel smooth, loot is well done and weapons are fun, Matchlock ftw lol   I really hope the full game delivers the kind of scope of content it's implying with the alpha/beta, definitely optimistic about what I've played so far.  

I managed to complete the second main mission and obtained the Mark of the Warrior (i will upload the video later today). The removal of weapons durability is a really nice addition.  My only complain here is that Shrines are blocked during the Torii Gate mode. You and your partner can die 3 times (combined) which is good and all, but i would prefer the option of Shrines/Checkpoints, instead of dying and doing the whole mission from the start.

For me the first stage was easier (probably because i played a lot during the Alpha and knew what i had to do). Anyway here's a video of me playing the sub mission with renatabls. I will upload the second main mission later today.

CjgpeDU.jpg

• Like 2

I love the improvements they made from Alpha to Beta, the combat is a lot smoother now since they changed the lock-on system, and there is no durability mechanic anymore which was more annoying than anything, instead you get a familiarity bar that increases the more you use the weapon, which improves its stats.

I'm definitely playing this game now once it releases since there is a proper way to join your friends with the new password system, in the Alpha you could only join random people, the game is way more fun and enjoyable when you're playing with someone you know (as well as easier), i'm also glad they kept the map design where there are various paths you can take to avoid an enemy or kill an enemy in an easier way (from high ground), it feels rewarding to explore the stages.

There are still some minor problems in the game, for example, even though they added a new tutorial level, the game still doesn't explain what each symbol does or mean, so sometimes you'll get or do debuffs and you have no idea what they mean right away, which can be confusing on what item you should take or what equipment you should be using against that type of enemy/boss. There's also a very annoying timer when being in a lobby with a friend (before starting  a mission), it feels as if you're forced to back out every time if you want to set up/sell your equipment after a long mission, that lobby should work like RE5, a timer should only pop up if one of the players hits the ready button, right now it starts right away and you can't know if the other player is ready, unlike RE5 where it clearly shows it. You have around 100 seconds to do things and that screen should be your "break" where you go take a piss or whatever.

Anyway, i already sent my feedback to their survery here so hopefully they'll change these things.  :)

• Like 1

I put a few hours into the beta tonight, and I had a much better impression of the game than after playing the alpha. They've definitely made some positive changes, such as removing weapon durability. Also the stamina bar (or whatever it's called in this game) feels a lot less punishing now. I'm still not sure about a few of the mechanics, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to them yet. I don't know if I'll go back and finish the beta, but I'm definitely more excited for the the full game to release now. I need some more Souls-like games in my life!  :)

• Like 1

I managed to complete the second main mission and obtained the Mark of the Warrior (i will upload the video later today). The removal of weapons durability is a really nice addition.  My only complain here is that Shrines are blocked during the Torii Gate mode. You and your partner can die 3 times (combined) which is good and all, but i would prefer the option of Shrines/Checkpoints, instead of dying and doing the whole mission from the start.

For me the first stage was easier (probably because i played a lot during the Alpha and knew what i had to do). Anyway here's a video of me playing the sub mission with renatabls. I will upload the second main mission later today.

Try that solo on twilight, it's tough.   The co-op looks a bit too easy, albeit fun, but I guess it's the beta and early levels too.   The only real problems, after a while admittedly, I had, were the bosses, the first was fine but the one above and Tachibana Muneshige both seemed to have a big difficulty spike, more involving having no time to use consumables/cast magic...even using sloth.   Although both fights were fun, and challenging, they felt frustrating at times solely due to the disparity in enemy speed and character actions.

I liked the revenant system, and the guitar playing enemy that could summon the magic heads and 'other players', nicely done, but could use a level specific cap, give or take a few levels, getting high level gear at low-ish levels was a bit game breaking, but it did even out by the end I suppose, still...   I did the survey too, suggested they could maybe tweak the same type of enemy models, they were fairly well mixed within a stage, but pretty much all the same type of enemy was identical, not really an issue, just an observation, but I'd like to see them wearing different armours or have a small pool of models for the same enemy type.

Anyway, great beta, very few problems other than a few camera glitches and a couple of minor UI gripes.   Curious to know what all the locked out/missing menu categories are, and speculate the Hidden Tearoom will give out buffs like the hot spring, mission long or until death etc...   Nice mimic chest idea and shout out to my new favourite enemy, the illusory wall!  :P

Edited by RedMustang72

Try that solo on twilight, it's tough.   The co-op looks a bit too easy, albeit fun, but I guess it's the beta and early levels too.   

I completed that mission on Twilight on co op a few days ago (going to upload the Twilight version of the first mission today or tomorrow). The enemies are certainly a lot stronger and you have to be extremely carefully with the Ki meter. On the main missions, i suppose when playing solo the best thing to do is just to run past the enemies and interact with a Shrine as soon as possible, if you want to quickly complete the stage.

Anyway here's how my Twilight run went.

I completed that mission on Twilight on co op a few days ago (going to upload the Twilight version of the first mission today or tomorrow). The enemies are certainly a lot stronger and you have to be extremely carefully with the Ki meter. On the main missions, i suppose when playing solo the best thing to do is just to run past the enemies and interact with a Shrine as soon as possible, if you want to quickly complete the stage.

Anyway here's how my Twilight run went.

That looked fun.  :)

I suppose you could run past enemies, but I prefer the old tried and tested Souls method of slowly moving forward being careful not to aggro too many enemies at once and being mindful of your environment.   That said, I'm still playing the demo, long after I've completed everything it has to offer, and I find the enemy patterns fairly easy to deal with now, only the 2nd boss and sub boss give me a hard time now, unless I'm swamped, but that'd be my fault.  Pick off what you can/should at distance then isolate a few, and mop up the rest.   Those flaming wheels are a real pain though!  Lol

Btw, the 2nd mission, Deep in the Shadows, does unlock as a twilight mission, they seem to be on a timer, as the 1st will lock out as the 2nd becomes active, then switch up again after a time.   Not sure how long, but it was overnight for me.

What did you make of Nioh's take on the illusory wall, mimic chests and crystal lizards?   Thought they were all really well done, the chests and 'lizards' seem somewhat random, and a few of those 'lizards' got away from me, cheeky little b......s!  :)

Curious to see how you both got on with Tachibana Muneshige, that fight was one helluva scrap, solo anyway.   

What did you make of Nioh's take on the illusory wall, mimic chests and crystal lizards?   Thought they were all really well done, the chests and 'lizards' seem somewhat random, and a few of those 'lizards' got away from me, cheeky little b......s!   :)

Curious to see how you both got on with Tachibana Muneshige, that fight was one helluva scrap, solo anyway.   

I haven' been able to encounter any of those yet as i'm not been able to play due to the lack of electricity on my house since this past Friday (thank God the problem has been solved). I did however saw the Illusory Wall on Youtube.

I'd recommend to upgrade the Talisman: Sloth which makes enemies slower. I mostly save that for the boss to make the fight way easier. Using the Talisman Slot and avoiding the enemies on the Deep in the Shadows mission, makes things easier to complete. I saw a video of someone completing such mission under 8 minutes solo.

I thought it sucked. I went through the tutorial, but quit part ways into the first mission. I hate the mechanic by which you get back your stamina. I also think the stances are stupid. 

This game needs to change a lot before I consider anything other than an 80% or better purchase.

Those two mechanics are singularly the best thing about the gameplay. Wtf are you on about?

Anyways, i'll copy paste what I said on another forum:

This game is consistently harder than a Souls game tbh, and I say this as a person in love with all of those games. It might be easier in co-op but going solo you can't ever find a comfort zone like Souls, always have to be on your guard.

Because unlike the Souls series, you're on equal footing with your enemies.

I'm not saying this as a knock against the Souls series. The way Souls work is the player has certain parameters and limitations compared to the enemies. Be it stamina or poise or iframes, while enemies operate under their own parameters. They don't run out of stamina, they can have crazy hyper armor etc. All attacks are telegraphed to all hell and once an enemy starts up an attack they are open for a generous period of time. The goal in Souls is to understand and study their parameters to exploit them with high damage backstabs, flanks or parries if you're proficient enough. 

Nioh has that too, but enemies are just like the player. They have limited stamina bars, just like you do. You can't dodge spam all day erry day like a souls game. They run out and pant like the player. They have stances like the player, they aren't as telegraphed and attack LIKE a player, quick and fast and brutal. There is no one easy way around a fight, you can't just kite around to the back and go in for a backstab, you have to drain your opponent and consistently bait and kite all around until a 100% safe opening presents itself. Dark Souls is about understanding the internal workings of the enemy, Nioh is about understanding the parameters you have to work with to overcome its challenge. Combined with only 3 healing items to start off with that heal only about half of your health bar per consumption, and each mistake costs you much more dearly than a Souls game.

This is why I love Nioh. Not necessarily for being ''sUUper challenging d00d!'', although it seems like they're relying on those kinds of people to sell their game but the fact that it takes a tried and true formula and creates something new and unique with it. Mechanically Nioh is an intrinsically more difficulty, yet ultimately more fair experience.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I haven' been able to encounter any of those yet as i'm not been able to play due to the lack of electricity on my house since this past Friday (thank God the problem has been solved). I did however saw the Illusory Wall on Youtube.

I'd recommend to upgrade the Talisman: Sloth which makes enemies slower. I mostly save that for the boss to make the fight way easier. Using the Talisman Slot and avoiding the enemies on the Deep in the Shadows mission, makes things easier to complete. I saw a video of someone completing such mission under 8 minutes solo.

You passed an illusory wall in your vid, the Deep in the Shadows one.   The mimics and crystal lizard type enemies only seem to appear in twilight missions, certainly in the demo anyway, they're random and pretty cool, I learned a gesture from one of the mimics, but I'll not spoil anything else.   The illusory wall though, love it!  :)

Yeah, I used sloth, sloth III I upgraded to, in fact Makibishi are useful too, as are a lot of the Jutsu.   They're short lasting though, so yeah, they certainly help but you'll still have to deal with some manic attacking, from a solo perspective.    I get that running past enemies is, or could be useful, especially for speed runners, but it kinda defeats the point of playing the game for me, unless there's a speed run trophy or something.   Losing a lot of good loot too not killing anything.   Maybe they should look at that, perhaps something like needing to kill x amount of enemies in a level before the next shrine activates?   

I've taken to trashing every revenant I see, you can get some top level gear (for the demo) that way.  Still playing, level 51 now :)   

.Maybe they should look at that, perhaps something like needing to kill x amount of enemies in a level before the next shrine activates?   

It might be possible they tweak this.

Anyway here's my run on the Twilight version of Isle of Demons. I would say we did pretty good for a second run as we managed to complete the stage. We made a couple of mistakes, especially during the boss fight but eh on this type of game you learn by constantly failing.

• Like 1

It might be possible they tweak this.

Anyway here's my run on the Twilight version of Isle of Demons. I would say we did pretty good for a second run as we managed to complete the stage. We made a couple of mistakes, especially during the boss fight but eh on this type of game you learn by constantly failing.

Good stuff, that was a 'crystal lizard' at 12:30, on the roof, not sure if it glitched, usually they run for it, good loot drops though.  lol

Still want to see Team Hammer Time taking on Muneshige, watched a guy on Live stream for about an hour trying to beat him, and he eventually gave up for the night lol, and he was pretty good, good timing, but needed some Jutsu help imo.   Curious to see you both fight him, and how he handles co-op, because he can kill quickly...

Keep the vids coming.  :)

I see the merits of the game, but I didn't like it. I don't need another one of these games that punishes you for dodging too much, punishes you for blocking too much, punishes you for attacking too much, punishes you for wanting to explore the map. I play a game to relax at the end of the day, not raise my blood pressure. My job does that well enough. If I want punishment, I'll go back to boot camp.

Edited by damon8r351

Curious to see you both fight him, and how he handles co-op, because he can kill quickly...

You can't play that mission on co-op, in the map when you hover on a mission you can see two symbols on top of its name, if the symbol on the right is grayed out that means you can't play co-op. (from what i understood :P)