Project Platinum: Monster Hunting

Satoshi Ookami

6 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Can't believe you're going from one monster hunter to the next - even though I know you're doing I Am Setsuna. I was thinking of doing God Eater 2, but I thought "nah, I need a bit of a break". Good luck! :D 

I'm not, at least not as my primary game. I play it on the train on my way to work, on the way home, and during breaks. I chose SS because all other games on my Vita require a guide. SS doesn't, I can just play it and know I won't miss a trophy by doing so.

I'm doing Lost Sphear, Setsuna is already at 100%. Understandable, a break after grinding your way through MHW is important. I'm still taking a break to catch up on everything I neglected for MHW (primarily anime). Thanks :)

Edited by viech54

3 minutes ago, viech54 said:

I'm not, at least not as my primary game. I play it on the train on my way to work, on the way home, and during breaks. I chose SS because all other games on my Vita require a guide. SS doesn't, I can just play it and know I won't miss a trophy by doing so.

I'm doing Lost Sphear, Setsuna is already at 100%. Understandable, a break after grinding your way through MHW is important. I'm still taking a break to catch up on everything I neglected for MHW (primarily anime). Thanks :)

Oh yes, my mistake. It was Lost Sphear. Got a bit confused there because I think we were discussing about that game as well. Yeah, that makes sense re: the Vita. 

1 hour ago, viech54 said:

Thanks. It feels like I understand so much more about the game now than I did when I actively played it back in October 2017. The crafting systems seems to make sense now, it didn't back then. I noticed I can already craft arrows, but not get them from quests yet (second pact, the one after Sortiara). Guess I'll farm a while before I move on. Will one stack of each arrow suffice, is it better to upgrade it or take multiple unupgraded stacks of the same arrows? Or should I bring different arrows to exploit the hells?

Just craft one of each element and slowly upgrade them to gold ones :)

@viech54 I will spend a long time in Eorzea, you can be sure of that. im on the Behemoth server, Primal Data Server. And I always use the same name in every game, so it wont be a problem to find me.

I should jump to MHW in the middle of the year. Since I cant play it on the small breaks at work, its better to play it at vacation.

Edited by ab4h4r4k1

5 hours ago, ab4h4r4k1 said:

@viech54 I will spend a long time in Eorzea, you can be sure of that. im on the Behemoth server, Primal Data Server. And I always use the same name in every game, so it wont be a problem to find me.

I should jump to MHW in the middle of the year. Since I cant play it on the small breaks at work, its better to play it at vacation.

Will let you know once I start to play the game. Is it better to have a team of 4 or 8 people for coop (to reduce waiting time for others or to develop better strategies or so) or will skilled random players show up all the time to help with bosses?

8 hours ago, viech54 said:

Will let you know once I start to play the game. Is it better to have a team of 4 or 8 people for coop (to reduce waiting time for others or to develop better strategies or so) or will skilled random players show up all the time to help with bosses?

Right now, the game is kinda empty - which means wait times for dungeons or bosses are somewhere between 7-10 minutes depending on the role you are using. Most of the game can be done solo and dungeons are doable with random players; the only content that you really need a fixed group are some Savage raids and, for now, the Ultimate Bahamut raid.

If you never played FF14, I recommend that you try the free trial version 1st before purchasing the full game. You will be able to play up to Lv35 (max Lv is 70) with any and all jobs and get a feel if this is what you really wanna play. Different from the monster hunter games, FF14 is a MMORPG so you will invest a lot of time and effort in it. There is a lot to do beyond fighting and grinding better gear.

Edited by ab4h4r4k1

• 2 weeks later...

Reached the end of the main story in Soul Sacrifice. Once again, a hunting game has proven that hunting games and a decent story can exist in the same game. Monster Hunter should really learn from this, what we got in MHW doesn't deserve to be called a story.

Now it's time for the endgame grind and the Avalon pacts, looking forward to that.

edit: Now it's time for the endgame, still had to beat the final boss at the time of writing this post. This game is among the better hunting games I've played. The story is quite good & the characters are interesting. The battle system takes a while to get used to (partially due to the sheer number of different offerings available to the player), but is enjoyable upon learning it & understanding what's good/bad and how crafting works.

Edited by viech54
  • Like 2

I've come across somewhat of a problem as of late: I barely have enough offerings to defeat multiple enemies in a quest (difficulty 6 to 8 in Avalon pacts). I know sacrificing small enemies restores my offerings, it's not like I can't get them back at all, but still... Should I go for 1/99 asap? Will that help? Is it a viable endgame strategy or do people only do it for the trophy? How does it perform compared to, say, a 40/60 or 50/50 build?

Also, primarily use offerings of the same element (the weakness of the enemy) or use offerings of all elements to exploit as many hells as possible?

Edited by viech54

1 hour ago, viech54 said:

I've come across somewhat of a problem as of late: I barely have enough offerings to defeat multiple enemies in a quest (difficulty 6 to 8 in Avalon pacts). I know sacrificing small enemies restores my offerings, it's not like I can't get them back at all, but still... Should I go for 1/99 asap? Will that help? Is it a viable endgame strategy or do people only do it for the trophy? How does it perform compared to, say, a 40/60 or 50/50 build?

Also, primarily use offerings of the same element (the weakness of the enemy) or use offerings of all elements to exploit as many hells as possible?

1/99 is a risky build, it's pretty much only build for the ultimate sigil that ignores your HP anyway and you get one shotted xD

I switched between 30/70 and 20/80.

Element advantage is the best. Hm... not having enough offerings... aren't you wasting too much with switching?

12 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

1/99 is a risky build, it's pretty much only build for the ultimate sigil that ignores your HP anyway and you get one shotted xD

I switched between 30/70 and 20/80.

Element advantage is the best. Hm... not having enough offerings... aren't you wasting too much with switching?

Alright, time to level up magic and ignore life.

Maybe I am, but I needed the trophy for causing all hells until yesterday. Additionally, I'm only 30something/40 right now. My attacks are not that strong yet.

• Like 1

Any tips for dual Elven Queen, dual Illecebra, and Phoenix/Griffin? The obvious answer seems to separate them, but that doesn't seem to work. The only strategy that kinda worked so far was staying close to the golem as they tend to stay away, then attack with throwing offerings, but that's a waste of golems & I still need to kill them.

The other quests are not that hard, it's just those that are giving me a hard time.

7 hours ago, viech54 said:

Any tips for dual Elven Queen, dual Illecebra, and Phoenix/Griffin? The obvious answer seems to separate them, but that doesn't seem to work. The only strategy that kinda worked so far was staying close to the golem as they tend to stay away, then attack with throwing offerings, but that's a waste of golems & I still need to kill them.

The other quests are not that hard, it's just those that are giving me a hard time.

You are doing it right, but probably need to adjust your sigils for more power. For those dual Elven Queen and Illecebra bosses, separate them and keep on using the throwing offerings - its best to solo these battles, as the AI really doenst help at all. As for Phoenix and Griffin, multiplayer is the better option since the map is small and you will have a hard time trying to separate them.

16 hours ago, viech54 said:

Trap + Suck offerings combined with max attack Sigil.

On 3.5.2018 at 11:05 PM, ab4h4r4k1 said:

You are doing it right, but probably need to adjust your sigils for more power. For those dual Elven Queen and Illecebra bosses, separate them and keep on using the throwing offerings - its best to solo these battles, as the AI really doenst help at all. As for Phoenix and Griffin, multiplayer is the better option since the map is small and you will have a hard time trying to separate them.

Thanks. You're right, my sigils are prettty much trash, never focused on upgrading those and only did so for the offerings.

On 4.5.2018 at 8:33 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Trap + Suck offerings combined with max attack Sigil.

Basically the glass cannon insta kill strategy. At least that's what it sounds like based on what I've seen on YouTube. Thanks, I'l consider it.

edit: Alright, after spending the entire night farming sigils, my damage output has increased by more than 100%. That's still not the best I can get from sigils, but it will have to do for now.

edit: Got the dual Elven Queens and Griffin/Phoenix out of the way. The Elven Queens were annoying, the Griffin/Phoenix pact shows how these endgame multi-boss pacts should be done. They didn't deal insane damage and still kept me on my toes thanks to strength in numbers. It was doable. Compared to that, the Elven Queens/Illecebras seem poorly designed. Way to go, giving them the ability to pretty much insta kill me with a 30/70 build, a 25% defense boost from a sigil (atk/def +25%) and a defensive offering corresponding to their element (not against Illecebra for obvious reasons) active at all times.

@ab4h4r4k1 I set up a session on PSNP to get the rest done. The session is today. Would you be willing to help out against dual Illecebra if we can't get it done or the others don't show up?

Edited by viech54

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I got the plat in Soul Sacrifice, guess I should've said something sooner.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the game (monster hunting and a good story are not polar opposites, take a hint, Capcom), but disliked certain missions due to the enemies' high damage. The dual Elven Queen mission was the hardest one for me. Dual Illecebra was perfectly doable with a bit of preparation. The same goes for Phoenix/Griffin, it was also not that hard.

19 hours ago, viech54 said:

It's been a while since I got the plat in Soul Sacrifice, guess I should've said something sooner.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the game (monster hunting and a good story are not polar opposites, take a hint, Capcom), but disliked certain missions due to the enemies' high damage. The dual Elven Queen mission was the hardest one for me. Dual Illecebra was perfectly doable with a bit of preparation. The same goes for Phoenix/Griffin, it was also not that hard.

Congrats, rank up it is, just a little more :awesome:

9 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Congrats, rank up it is, just a little more :awesome:

Thanks. You're right, there are only four games left and I already own two of them. So... Let's make it a goal to reach at least rank 8 this year. That means completing Ragnarok Odyssey ACE (yeah, should've started with RO instead of ROA, but now I'm already at 82%) or Waifu Wars. Should be doable, but I need a change of pace and won't play another hunting game this month, next month, and maybe also not in July/August.

3 hours ago, viech54 said:

Thanks. You're right, there are only four games left and I already own two of them. So... Let's make it a goal to reach at least rank 8 this year. That means completing Ragnarok Odyssey ACE (yeah, should've started with RO instead of ROA, but now I'm already at 82%) or Waifu Wars. Should be doable, but I need a change of pace and won't play another hunting game this month, next month, and maybe also not in July/August.

Waifu Wars is piss easy, if you want a quickie, it's that one you should aim for ;)

God Eater 2 Rage Burst is ready to plat. Will pop it Friday so it'll count for a few events. This makes me eligible for the silver rank. The guide is almost ready too.

Edit:

Nevermind, forgot that the side stories also count for Alisa's emblem.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2018 at 4:36 PM, Xillia said:

Hey, I've platted two more games since I last posted here, so now I have Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta and God Eater Resurrection. Bump me up to intermediate hunter please. :D

Pushed you are, congratulations on your promotion :awesome: 

7 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

God Eater 2 Rage Burst is ready to plat. Will pop it Friday so it'll count for a few events. This makes me eligible for the silver rank. The guide is almost ready too.

Edit:

Nevermind, forgot that the side stories also count for Alisa's emblem.

Hm... Hm...

Okay, I guess I can allow you to join the Silver rank hunters :awesome: 

7 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Well, since I'm here. I've platted Monster Hunter World. I think that only makes 2 games. If Freedom Wars is that easy, I'll probably get through that this year.

You should get through it in a week, not a year, lol xD