Mindset to Platinum a Game

JAM20002911

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know how you go about to platinum a game? I know there are guides on how to platinum games, but I want to know how you go about it. What frame of mind do you put yourself in? I wanted to know because I have got games I really need to complete before I move on to others, I need some ideas on to go about.

All replies are appreciated.

I enjoy the story while working on missable trophies, collectibles, and try to start on major grinds early to do them bit by bit. If I still like the game enough after finishing it, I'll try to plat it. For major grinds I try to do as much AFK as possible, when that can't be done I listen to music or watch anime (usually it's music since grinding more often that not requires paying attention to what's happening on the screen). For mp trophies I find a boosting partner, but often a member here is willing to help out or also needs those trophies. 

Sometimes there are also community events to plat a hard or grindy game. Discussing strategies, sharing tips, and posting my progress definitely helps to go for it and when things get too hard or the RNG is too unforgiving, ranting in the thread helps as other participants have experienced similar things.

I hope this helps.

• Like 3

I don't like leaving games unfinished, I must complete. I tend to decide what my main game is and also my next ones, and then I work hardest on that particular game (currently Retro/Grade), even though I do usually have some other games I play if I ever get bored. Before I start a game and during, I always have the intention that I will see the platinum or 100%. Giving up is never something I like to consider. When I first start a game, I try not to think too hard about trophies - instead I play through the game, and then trophies come later. 

Edited by Midnightwards666

I enjoy the story while working on missable trophies, collectibles, and try to start on major grinds early to do them bit by bit. If I still like the game enough after finishing it, I'll try to plat it. For major grinds I try to do as much AFK as possible, when that can't be done I listen to music or watch anime (usually it's music since grinding more often that not requires paying attention to what's happening on the screen). For mp trophies I find a boosting partner, but often a member here is willing to help out or also needs those trophies. 

That's what I do sometimes to. I watched a hell of a lot of One Piece grinding Mortal Kombat 9, my rarest plat to date. I didn't do when I first started grinding because I wasn't sure how to go about grinding it out. When I got it down though, I started watching One Piece while inputting the actions on the two Vitas I used because I hardly had to look at the screens once I got it down.

Basically this

L5KKlZq.gif

As simple as it is, it's not as easy as it sounds sometimes if you can understand where I'm coming from.

That's what I do sometimes to. I watched a hell of a lot of One Piece grinding Mortal Kombat 9, my rarest plat to date. I didn't do when I first started grinding because I wasn't sure how to go about grinding it out. When I got it down though, I started watching One Piece while inputting the actions on the two Vitas I used because I hardly had to look at the screens once I got it down.

Awesome :highfive:. So far I've only watched anime when grinding kills in Star Ocean and working on affinity in Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment.

If the game has no missable trophies then I take my time and don't worry about things, I definitely enjoy a game a lot more when this is the case. If a game does have missable trophies I make sure to read a guide so I don't miss them, but if it require more than one playthrough then I usually do the first one however I want. =)

• Like 1

What I do now and it's a become a habit of mine are the following

1) read a trophy guide before starting a game.

2) look up any missables or any trophies that can easily be achieved via a certain point in the game while avoiding SPOILERS as much as possible.

3) look up if there's any online trophies ( i actually do this before I even buy the game). Nowadays even with old games, you can still boost them here so I tend to not rush getting online trophies immediately unless the game is very old or servers are grave.

4) decide if I'm going to do two playthroughs or one( I usually go for the minimal number of playthroughs unless I know the game will be great or it will be easier once I've gone through it once).

5) tackle collectables on my first playthrough ( which are the most annoying thing in a game in my opinion. I hate watching videos or reading guides while playing).

6) if game is known to be challenging, I automatically have a mindset that it won't come in first try if I go for the achievements. This way I can maintain patience if I keep failing. I remember underestimating goat Simulator because it was easy. However I was caught off guard by flappy goat achievement and man was frustrated!

7) don't stress yourself out too much. If theres a grind, mainly in rpgs, then divide it into broken segments unless youre actually enjoying it so you dont burn yourself out. Take frequent breaks and listen to music during the grind. Thats what i did at least in prototype when i was going for the kill 53,596 infected achievement.

In the end, trophies are for fun and if youre too worried and paranoid about not platinuming it, then you're probably doing it wrong. Also no need to hurry and rush a game, take your time and have fun!

These were general tips that I follow. Mind you I'm not the best trophy hunter out there but I can say that I'm at least average. Anyways, if you need any questions, I'll be more than happy to help. :)

Edited by poopooblast
  • Like 3

Depends honestly. I often play games for fun and then go for the platinum after I realize how much I enjoy a game. Sometimes I am a total trophy whore and I will follow a guide to the letter and get a platinum.  Other times it is just unrelenting sheer motivation. Like with Gran Turismo 5 or Metal Gear Rising where I hit a point where I told myself I will get the platinum no matter what it takes. 

I'll usually just play the game to completion first, after checking a guide to cover anything missable of course. Then I'll just chuck on a movie, music or a podcast & use the Platinum hunt as my relaxation time. For me Platinums are a nice reason to keep playing the games I love a little longer.

That's generally what I do. Always the best way. 

I tell myself ''you're going to platinum A, B, C in that order and then D comes out and you'll work on that''

What happens in reality is I platinum A after taking way too fucking long to do so, then I start B but by then D comes out and then I focus on D and then what's over E is coming out soon and B, C tend to be forgotten, thrown into ''i'll do it later list''

• Like 4

In this year i decided to go for 100% in all games i have played or want to play...

Mostly my first walktrough is without any guide and help, just to enjoy the game (although it naggs inside to know that i get only a small amount of collectibles mostly)

For my second walktrough i look at a videoguide on yt for collectibles or other hard/rare and well hidden trophies...

If the game has online trophies i keep a look for boosting group(s) or create my own... if i see the trophies can be obtained solo (too) that's good too :D

When i have to grind i either watch tv series (i.e. during Ni No Kuni watched Supernatural season 4-7 i guess :huh: ) oder playing other stuff (i.e. during Bioshock 2 on ps3 Ether One on PS4 or Fat Princess on Vita :D )

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 2

First I pray to Batman to give me strength. Then I put on the most metal song I can think of and set it to repeat.

Nah, but for real, I just enjoy the story first playthrough, then do collectibles, then missables. MP trophies I generally avoid unless it's a game I REALLY want to plat.

But seriously, I do pray to Batman.

Edited by Rin Kagamine
  • Like 4

Play the game first without caring about trophies then on your 2nd playthrough collect the trophies you missed, that way you have more fun and more replay value. I always tell myself this; the journey's no fun if you know where you're going. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know how you go about to platinum a game? I know there are guides on how to platinum games, but I want to know how you go about it. What frame of mind do you put yourself in? I wanted to know because I have got games I really need to complete before I move on to others, I need some ideas on to go about.

All replies are appreciated.

Not the way i go about it but the frame of mind I put myself in is the more platinums and trophies I get, the closer to the top 50 I become :)

Need to have some interest in the game first before picking it up instead of playing just for trophies, except when some games are free (from PS+) and look quick and easy :P

Then I will take a quick look at the trophy guide to see if there is any missable trophy without spoiling anything as I don't have much time for gaming nowadays. If it's a game I really want to play, I will go in completely blind.

If the trophies are tedious, I just need to take it slow (doesn't matter how long) or just give it up if I feel that it's not worth my time.

Just play the game without having platinum in mind first and enjoy it! Look up missables that could get annoying, but otherwise just enjoy the game as is. If you liked the game and think for yourself: "i want to platinum this", start a new game+ or a new game and go for it.

My opinion is, even if you could get platinum trophies quickly, it isn't worth it to trade enjoyment for statistics and forcing yourself to do platinums you don't really want to do. Fun > trophies :)

• Like 3

Have fun, plat the games you really like. If the game has multiplayer either build your own community of people you like playing with or invest in a second console ......... Most of the time it's far less aggrevating.

I also started keeping a notebook of full of info on games I left in case I do decide to return later to plat.

• Like 3

I always check for missables/ online trophies. If everything is doable I'll add it to the main account otherwise in the second account.

I also started keeping a notebook of full of info on games I left in case I do decide to return later to plat.

Interesting strategy. I did a similar thing while doing for the AC Unity trophy guide and I also have a "trophy hunting agenda" to schedule my hunting sessions in the most efficient way and it's surprisingly working with my recent 100%s
  • Like 1

That is a great idea. I've lost count of how many times I've returned to a game recently and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I don't plan on ditching games before finishing them anymore but if I do I will definitely be doing this!

• Like 2