Mindset to Platinum a Game

JAM20002911

I purchase and play what I think I will enjoy most without worrying at all whether I will platinum a game or not. Once I start playing, I will check the trophy list on PSN.  It usually gives me an idea of what to do for some of the more obscure trophies (like throw 50 guys off of a train in Assassin's Creed Syndicate) with a nearly non-existent chance for spoilers.  I don't like to look at trophy guides before I play games through the first time for fear of spoilers and because I want to take my time and figure things out for myself. There really are no missable trophies as you can always play through the game again or start over, and my thought is that if I enjoyed the game enough to want to earn the platinum, then I will enjoy playing multiple times if necessary.

After I beat the game, I will look at a trophy guide and see what I need to do to earn those that I didn't get the first time around, but only if I am still having fun.  If not, I move on.  If there are things I don't want to do even if I love the game (i.e. multiplayer in any game, grinding for covenant items in Dark Souls III, etc.) I move on.  Platinum trophies are only fun to earn if I am having fun. If not, that kind of defeats the entire purpose of why I play video games in the first place.

Something along the lines of this...

1) Scan the trophy list to get a general feel of what to expect

2) Log on to www.playstationtrophies.org to look at the guide and see what kind of grind I'm in for as well as missible trophies

3) Usually I play through the game and then come back for clean-up duty

4) The big one....pray it doesn't have any MP TROPHIES!!!  :P 

• Like 1

First I observe the trophy list/guide of the game that I am about to play and make a decision about whether I'm going to actually go for the platinum or not. If I decide to, I take it one or a group of a few trophies at a time. I usually aim to try to get the platinum on one playthrough if possible.

Have fun, plat the games you really like. If the game has multiplayer either build your own community of people you like playing with or invest in a second console ......... Most of the time it's far less aggrevating.

I also started keeping a notebook of full of info on games I left in case I do decide to return later to plat.

I agree 100%. I keep a gaming notebook as well. I also try not to worry over how long getting a plat takes. Go at your own pace.

What I do now and it's a become a habit of mine are the following

1) read a trophy guide before starting a game.

2) look up any missables or any trophies that can easily be achieved via a certain point in the game while avoiding SPOILERS as much as possible.

3) look up if there's any online trophies ( i actually do this before I even buy the game). Nowadays even with old games, you can still boost them here so I tend to not rush getting online trophies immediately unless the game is very old or servers are grave.

4) decide if I'm going to do two playthroughs or one( I usually go for the minimal number of playthroughs unless I know the game will be great or it will be easier once I've gone through it once).

5) tackle collectables on my first playthrough ( which are the most annoying thing in a game in my opinion. I hate watching videos or reading guides while playing).

6) if game is known to be challenging, I automatically have a mindset that it won't come in first try if I go for the achievements. This way I can maintain patience if I keep failing. I remember underestimating goat Simulator because it was easy. However I was caught off guard by flappy goat achievement and man was frustrated!

7) don't stress yourself out too much. If theres a grind, mainly in rpgs, then divide it into broken segments unless youre actually enjoying it so you dont burn yourself out. Take frequent breaks and listen to music during the grind. Thats what i did at least in prototype when i was going for the kill 53,596 infected achievement.

In the end, trophies are for fun and if youre too worried and paranoid about not platinuming it, then you're probably doing it wrong. Also no need to hurry and rush a game, take your time and have fun!

These were general tips that I follow. Mind you I'm not the best trophy hunter out there but I can say that I'm at least average. Anyways, if you need any questions, I'll be more than happy to help. :)

^^ Exactly what I do :highfive:.

The only difference is that I tackle collectibles on my second playthrough, depending on the difficulty. For example, if there is a Trophy to finish the Call of Duty campaign on Veteran, I'll do that first. On my second playthrough, I'll collect the collectibles on a lower difficulty :).

First thing I do is see if the game has any unobtainable trophies then read the complete guide to the game. Print out the trophy list and write down on the list where the missable trophies (Which Chapters). I have a laptop on with a collectibles video guide on for games that need it. Also see if the grindy trophies have exploits I level up faster. Willing to do 2 or 3 playthroughs but more then that I would rather spend time on another game. Otherwise just enjoy the game while going for the plat.

DF007gamer.png

^^ Exactly what I do :highfive:.

The only difference is that I tackle collectibles on my second playthrough, depending on the difficulty. For example, if there is a Trophy to finish the Call of Duty campaign on Veteran, I'll do that first. On my second playthrough, I'll collect the collectibles on a lower difficulty :).

Oh nice! Like I said earlier though, I prefer to minimize playthrough because nowadays I don't have a lot of time. So if it's possible I tackle em all in one package. I used to do that but now it seems I dont have the will to go through he campaign again. Also, I like to experience the most games I can( even though I won't be able to play them all) but at least I can play the majority of games ID like to play :)

• Like 1