Resident Evil 2: A Memory and Retrospective

An absolute classic! One of the best survival horror games ever created. It's influence on me growing up cannot be understated. It's still a total blast to play to this day.

Does anyone remember this guy?

29441-resident-evil-2-windows-screenshot

I really hope they bring back everybody's favourite Tofu in the remake.  xD

Playing as Tofu was ridiculously fun, although unlocking that mode was certainly a test of skill and patience!

• Like 2

Great writing ^^ and an interesting look. RE2 was certainly my fave of the series. I still remember getting the Demo disk with the Official UK PS Magazine back in '98. I played that demo so many times! And indeed I played the game many times . Great game, and one I look forward to playing again with the Remake.

• Like 1

Ah, memories. I remember getting this game in some backwater gaming kiosk - there were no licensed games or proper gaming shops in the 90s here, see, and won't ever be for a long time, until the time of PS3 and XBOX 360 - plastic case proudly bearing the "Fully Translated" label... 

Well, the label turned out to be a load of shite, as after I've brought the game home and set it into my PS1, I was greeted with not Resident Evil 2, but Biohazard 2 - that's right, an untouched Japanese version, with English voices and Japanese text... 

I've managed to get as far as the police station on my own, but the rest of the game was locked to me until I've found a walkthrough in the gaming magazine... Oh, and it had only one disc - Leon's campaign. Maybe that's why I was so interested in RE4 above all others until it came out - Leon was the only one I had any ties with. :awesome: 

• Like 1

I remember the day it came out was a really big deal. At the time I worked a night job (315 pm to 1145 pm) so I got my copy that morning prior to work. I was so eaten up with curiosity that I had to boot up the game and give it a spin. I only played to the point just after the gun shop owner gets scragged (Leon's game) before shutting it off. I figured since the demo let you play that already, no harm no foul, right? xD

I didn't even save my game just so I could have that "new game" experience all over again later when I could properly play it.

Anyway, I went to work and talked to my friend Kim about it. Kim was this big, muscular body builder type but he was a die hard geek (video games and comics esp.) He had gotten his copy too but he was more disciplined than me and hadn't opened his yet. Secretly I think he was tsk tsk'ng me for being so anxious :P

Hey, I couldn't help it, I was at home with Resident Evil 2 and too much time to kill before work 

We spent the rest of the shift talking about what we thought was going to be in the game, how it would play, if Chris or Jill would show up, and how this "zapping" thing Capcom put in the game would work.

This is one of my fondest video game memories :wub:

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, bad english here.

When Resident Evil 3 came I thought it's best game from RE series, but after few years (when Code Veronica came out) I changed my mind about it. I still think that Resident Evil 2 is best: game did everything right, improving gameplay,story,music and desing from first game on new level. Resident Evil 3 have more "arcade" feel about it, it feels like...you can beat game in 2-3 hours + Nemesis is cool on first 5-6 runs, then he more frustrates,than scare players. Also, 2 discs feature is awesome for replay value. I still playing it sometimes, even got PC version, which is ..well..not good, comparing to original PS version.

• 3 weeks later...

I still go on this from time to time just because of how incredibly awesome it was. I use to watch my brothers play this when I was young and then went ahead and tried it myself and I still fall in love with this game in the series to this very day. Now that I play this so much, I have gone ahead and attempted speedruns for in which my best time was 1:20:57 (Leon A; PS1).

Leon A being my favourite just because of it being the easiest scenario in the game. Scenario B I was never great at due to how the items were in other locations which have ruined most of my speedrun attempts lol. Anyway, I do hope Sony do something in order to have the function to play this game as well as other many great PS Classics, hopefully streaming these runs too :)

right now i am worried they are going to change it to suit the "new" fans rather than the older ones.  What is funny is that on Gamefaqs (not the best site i know) there are only 2 people insisting that making it like the original would kill the game because "fixed camera angles and tank controls are outdated". Yet their only "proof" is that they do not like those 2 things. Look at Final Fantasy 7 it is no longer a Remake but a Re-imaging, yet they keep calling it a Remake.

Lets hope that the REmake 2 can keep the feel of RE2 just like REmake did for RE1 and maybe we will get a REmake 3.

I still Remember Tofu and Fourth Survivor man those were hard mini-games. Lets not forget about getting to the Police Station without killing anything to get Brad to appear for the key.

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

right now i am worried they are going to change it to suit the "new" fans rather than the older ones.  What is funny is that on Gamefaqs (not the best site i know) there are only 2 people insisting that making it like the original would kill the game because "fixed camera angles and tank controls are outdated". Yet their only "proof" is that they do not like those 2 things. Look at Final Fantasy 7 it is no longer a Remake but a Re-imaging, yet they keep calling it a Remake.

Lets hope that the REmake 2 can keep the feel of RE2 just like REmake did for RE1 and maybe we will get a REmake 3.

I still Remember Tofu and Fourth Survivor man those were hard mini-games. Lets not forget about getting to the Police Station without killing anything to get Brad to appear for the key.

I wouldn't mind them keeping the fixed camera angles, but I do want the option to play with an over the shoulder perspective.

• 2 years later...

My Story about RE is also a bit of a "love letter" in a way. 

I was in juvenile detention, had been there for around 6 months or so, i had an N64 at home that i had for a couple months before going there, only had a couple games including Mario 64 but i had ranted Goldeneye and some wrestling games, also played a ton of those at friend's place. Anyway, so there was that guy who was a "step 3" , wich was a ranking system we had, the better you behave, the highter you could get but at that time they where very picky on step 3. (I was a 2 myself for a long time before getting my 3 much much later) So that guy because of it had acces to a "step 3 local" where you could play N64, while us we only had an SNES. He had also acces to a sound system, personal tv/dvd player while us in the group had only a VCR. This was in 2000, around january or so. Anyway so that guy managed to get RE2, i can't remember if it was a rental or he owned the game at home or whatever. Anyway he talked to us about it and how good it was. The "fun line" was "you could kill cops in this game". Wich obviously for guys in juvenile detention looked interesting. ?

So when i got out of there, i rented the game. At first like everybody i was shit at it, eventually i switched my control scheme to "D" and this is what made it easier to play for me. Dunno why, anyway these days i play with the default control and im fine. Unlike many peoples i love tank controls and don't feel they "aged" at all. I like that type. Anyway back to the rental of RE2, i played for a while during those 2 days, had fun but i made it just far in the police station. Saving was on the cartridge so i didn't expect my game to still be there if i rent it again, so i didn't do it.

A short while afterthat,  the dreamcast, wich i also heard about in the juvenile center, was getting cheaper and cheaper, it was in 2001. My grand father bough one to me for under 200$CAD wich was not too execessive for a system at that time. The console was on the decline but PSO was still going super strong but thats a story for another time. So when i got my consol i got PSO with it (part of an used bundle) and i also bough RE3.  I remembered how cool was RE2 but the DC version was not at the store, and i had seen the third game at the video store for rental. Tough the "big monster" on the cover looked awesome so for around 30$ or less, i got that game as well. 

I really enjoyed it, had ton of fun. So much i wanted another RE game right away. I had already seen Code Veronica in video stores as well so i got that one and damn i loved it. Even more than 3. Then it was time to get back to 2 but again, no DC version in stores near where i live. I settle back on getting the N64 version, wich i still had the console, and i had lots of fun once again discovering that game entirely exept maybe for the fact that the graphics was very subpar compared to me now being used to the dreamcast.

Eventually i did find a RE2 DC version in stores. 

It took me a long time to get to RE1 because i had no PS1. Yup, one of the few peoples who don't associate RE with PS1 but Dreamcast. lol. Eventually i got a very cheap PS1 wich i played only a few games on. RE1, RE Survivor and Metal Gear Solid are some that i remember playing entirely. But it was hard for me to go back on a very very dated system. I didn't grew up with PS1, i had an N64 wich is superior graphically (double the bits, released 2 years later too) and by that time being used to the dreamcast i just couldn't stand the graphics. So the first time i did RE1 i had trouble apreciating, just because it didn't aged as well as 2, 3 and CV on dreamcast. The fun thing is the remake of RE1 came like 6 months later and then i LOVED that game. 

Nowadays i apreciate RE1 for what it is, its campiness and such, Gotta play it on an old TV tough because PS1 looks even more shit on modern TVs lol. I really wish the OG or should i say the director's cut (the one i had) would be ported to modern system. I love having the RE1 remake (or as we call it on the french side, REbirth) but i wish the OG trilogy would be released enhanced for modern systems. 2 and 3 still looks fantasic on game cube by the way, i played 2 on the Wii via backward compatibility a month or so ago.