PS3 Users

Dreakon139

Why is it that barely any games allow second/third/fourth players to sign in as their own Users? The only games off the top of my head that allow it is LittleBigPlanet and the Uncharted 3 beta (though it also forced them to sign into PSN). For games like Castle Crashers and Resident Evil 5 there's no excuse, the functionality is already there in the Xbox versions, why not allow people to sign in separately?

Not only is it kind of ugly to see Name, Name(1), Name(2) and Name(3) all playing, but in the case of RE5 it actually allowed for separate profiles and inventories and money. Now I have to buy and upgrade everything for my partner (assuming I'm playing split-screen) because he doesn't have access to the Buy menu or any of the gold. Other games could use it as well though, I'm sure.

I really wish more games would start to take advantage of this, I made Users on my PS3 for just about everyone I know. :wacko:

Yeah, I wish more games supported local cooperative play. Games are a pretty big hit with friends, but whenever someone comes over and we want to play a game, none of them support local co-op or even competitive modes. We'll usually have to settle for Madden or another sports game, but it'd be nice to have like a Dead Space co-op mode so I could scare the shit out of my friends. :lol:

For the record, I think there's a decent number of local multiplayer games available. Enough to get by with at least.

I made the thread because I'm annoyed that games don't utilize the separate Users/Profiles on the PS3. Multiple controllers can sign into multiple profiles on the Xbox, and the same games are ported to the PS3 (or multi-platform to begin with) without the ability to do that. It's silly lol.

Resistance 2 allows this. Its good when your at a friends house, you can just sign in with your account and get xp/kills whatever..

This is true, I used to do that. Also, Borderlands allow for the same thing, although as far a I know, it ain't stored in a server but on your PS3, so in case you want to keep your character you'd have to copy the save to a USB.

This is true, I used to do that. Also, Borderlands allow for the same thing, although as far a I know, it ain't stored in a server but on your PS3, so in case you want to keep your character you'd have to copy the save to a USB.

Really? Didnt know you could do that. When I was playing co-op with my housemate on his account and then switched to my account my stats didnt change at all. What you said would explain why.. Bit weird imo...

Really? Didnt know you could do that. When I was playing co-op with my housemate on his account and then switched to my account my stats didnt change at all. What you said would explain why.. Bit weird imo...

Yeap, but don't really believe what I said. To be sincere, I'm just assuming it works, since I've never really tried it.

I never really thought about this before but I do agree with you. When I was playing Portal 2 during some local co-op with a friend, I don't think he had the option of using a PSN account, but rather had to appear as a guest.

Is there a reason you'd want to be able to sign in as a second player with Portal 2? I mean, unless you're able to also gain those coop trophies for second PSN account, then I get that.

Is there a reason you'd want to be able to sign in as a second player with Portal 2? I mean, unless you're able to also gain those coop trophies for second PSN account, then I get that.

People seem to get confused about my original point. I'm not talking about coop games in general or PSN accounts. Simply other Profiles on the PS3 itself. You know, the tab all the way to the left on the XMB?

LittleBigPlanet allows you to log into multiple profiles, and it allows the other users to save their outfits and stuff. In the case of Resident Evil and other coop games, multiple profiles would allow users to have their own inventories linked to their profiles that saved upon exiting. Logically, multiple profiles in coop games should allow all profiles being used to unlock trophies (if they meet the criteria). In a game like Portal 2 it wouldn't be particularly useful, but a number of other games would benefit from it... especially if it were implemented correctly.

The Xbox has this kind of functionality, but the PS3 doesn't despite having many of the same games and a similar Profile system.

People seem to get confused about my original point. I'm not talking about coop games in general or PSN accounts. Simply other Profiles on the PS3 itself. You know, the tab all the way to the left on the XMB?

Yeah I know what you meant, that's why I was asking him about Portal 2.