YouTube is now censoring creators?!

jackmadrox

We might not like it but honestly, they have every right too. It is their business, period. They will see a steep decline in website views as a whole though. Here is a question though. Aren't Vevo Music Videos monetized? So are they going to un-monetize all of the rap videos for the language and content?

Watch H3H3's video ... it's not censorship, it's companies not allowing themselves to be advertised on videos with "controversial" tags, such as famine, torture, sex, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc *yawn*

Now, it's clearly a bot picking up the tags and doing this, because a video from Boogie about suicide and overcoming it got "censored" too. Just dont tag your videos with "controversial" shit and they'll be fine.

This. h3h3 does a good job explaining it.

Looks like a lot of people are about to learn an internet rule they should've learned by now: an internet-based service that's ostensibly free to the user is not the product being offered by the company that created the service. The products being offered are the users of the service.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

wow, this is very interesting that this happens more often then not which isn't good.

Im hoping they can do this for all the political BS thats being place on there :P

Why is it a bad thing? If I owned a bad company, I wouldn't want it advertised on videos about rape and murder and torture, etc, etc.. Not a good look for a company if it ends up on a video which is joking about or supporting any of the topics in the tags. Even stuff like overcoming depression could seem a bit insensitive to some, it's better to just avoid the subjects altogether.

A fucking shame, since Youtube single-handedly gave countless people careers in video production, some of whom have been at it for over a decade.

I used to upload a lot of video clips and snippets from older DVD sets (pre 2005) when you could just rip the file onto a DVD/video program and post it directly to Youtube. One video clip I posted gained over 100K views, I was excited since I'm a nobody. Then it got taken down.

Why is it a bad thing? If I owned a bad company, I wouldn't want it advertised on videos about rape and murder and torture, etc, etc.. Not a good look for a company if it ends up on a video which is joking about or supporting any of the topics in the tags. Even stuff like overcoming depression could seem a bit insensitive to some, it's better to just avoid the subjects altogether.

It's not just those they are censoring and impo those should be taken down as it's not a thing to joke about.

They are actually censoring people for using words like fuck, shit etc.  They're trying to make it more family friendly tbh.  I haven't ever seen a teen (except for hardcore christians) who haven't use those words ever in their life.  This is definitely going to affect a lot of YouTubers, one of my favorites has been been affected by it as his videos contain a lot of swear language, but he's a bit of a comedian and that's just his character.. at least this YouTuber has had some sense and didn't decide to make it his life, he has thought of other things previously if YouTube were to go and basically ruin that career for him.  There's many other YouTubers out there that pretty much declared that this is them for life, so that's them kind of fucked up now if their personality relied on these topics that YouTube no longer wants.

Too many over-senstive people.. -_-

Makes me wonder.. this is going to also affect Lets Plays of Mature rated games?

• Like 1

It's not just those they are censoring and impo those should be taken down as it's not a thing to joke about.

They are actually censoring people for using words like fuck, shit etc.  They're trying to make it more family friendly tbh.  I haven't ever seen a teen (except for hardcore christians) who haven't use those words ever in their life.  This is definitely going to affect a lot of YouTubers, one of my favorites has been been affected by it as his videos contain a lot of swear language, but he's a bit of a comedian and that's just his character.. at least this YouTuber has had some sense and didn't decide to make it his life, he has thought of other things previously if YouTube were to go and basically ruin that career for him.  There's many other YouTubers out there that pretty much declared that this is them for life, so that's them kind of fucked up now if their personality relied on these topics that YouTube no longer wants.

Speaking of which, what about the AVGN? His videos are loaded to the brim with profanity, and he's been making videos for like 10 years! I wonder what will become of his channel? 

Speaking of which, what about the AVGN? His videos are loaded to the brim with profanity, and he's been making videos for like 10 years! I wonder what will become of his channel? 

Well, that guy has kind of progressed from YouTube, he managed to release a movie plus has most of his videos released on DVD/Blu-Ray now.  I'm sure he'll figure something out.

From my understanding of the situation it's just a bot that scans through and finds tags that are breaking one of the monetization rules that been around for about a year.

So it's not really censoring people it's just punishing them for using a ton of tags. There plenty people who I watch on YouTube who curse and talk about sex and stuff all the time who seemed to be fine.

I think this just got blown out of proportion because Philip DeFranco (or whatever his name is) said his channel may get shut down.

Edited by soultaker655

"Its a private company"

A private company where many people have been allowed to express their views and for creators to make a living doing so. YouTube changing their terms of service allows them to demonetize videos they deem offensive or "not advertiser friendly", which for all intents and purposes censorship. Those YouTubers can no longer make a living for expressing their positions like they have before. It doesn't matter if you think that censorship only applies to government institutions, what does matter is the implications of the idea in the real world (Feminism isn't about equality, just because it says it is).

The right of the individual to freely express one's opinion should ALWAYS take precedent over the right for a corporation to conduct itself how it wants. Corporations are not people, and a social media platform like YouTube should not be allowed to demonetize the video based off of the subject matter or the opinions stated.

If advertisers do not like and do not want to be associated with an individual they take issue with, then they should be able to opt out of having their advertisements shown there. Problem Solved, without any censorship.

• Like 1

If advertisers do not like and do not want to be associated with an individual they take issue with, then they should be able to opt out of having their advertisements shown there. Problem Solved, without any censorship.

That's exactly whats happening. What is the problem? Advertisers are opting out of showing their ads on videos with content they don't like. No videos are being removed. No new videos are being blocked. Anyone can still say whatever they want on Youtube, just like always.

• Like 1

That's exactly whats happening. What is the problem? Advertisers are opting out of showing their ads on videos with content they don't like. No videos are being removed. No new videos are being blocked. Anyone can still say whatever they want on Youtube, just like always.

This simply is not the case.

You have plenty of non-controversial YouTubers who had plenty of advertising support suddenly lose ALL monetization on the video. Pyrocynical did a video explaining his situation. I'm sure advertisers had no problem pulling their ads off of videos beforehand. It doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't be able to.

This simply is not the case.

You have plenty of non-controversial YouTubers who had plenty of advertising support suddenly lose ALL monetization on the video. Pyrocynical did a video explaining his situation. I'm sure advertisers had no problem pulling their ads off of videos beforehand. It doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't be able to.

RemiXound posted a video from a YouTuber above disputing what you are saying what is happening. It seems to explain everyones lack of understanding of the situation.

And I say, again, no videos are being removed, no new videos are being blocked. Anyone can still say whatever they want on YouTube, just like always.

• Like 1

"Its a private company"

The right of the individual to freely express one's opinion should ALWAYS take precedent over the right for a corporation to conduct itself how it wants. Corporations are not people, and a social media platform like YouTube should not be allowed to demonetize the video based off of the subject matter or the opinions stated.

Here's the problem. You are expressing your opinion through their corporation. If you want to freely express whatever strikes your fancy - you can - by starting your own YouTube-like company. But if you are going to spew your diatribe to the masses using their company, they can make whatever rules they want. It's their reputation, it's their bottom line, it's their investors. Yeah, capitalism can be cruel, bullying and insensitive. But you haven't been constitutionally censored by any stretch of the imaginaton, because you have the freedom to start your own website and say whatever you want.

• Like 2

Here's the problem. You are expressing your opinion through their corporation. If you want to freely express whatever strikes your fancy - you can - by starting your own YouTube-like company. But if you are going to spew your diatribe to the masses using their company, they can make whatever rules they want. It's their reputation, it's their bottom line, it's their investors. Yeah, capitalism can be cruel, bullying and insensitive. But you haven't been constitutionally censored by any stretch of the imaginaton, because you have the freedom to start your own website and say whatever you want.

They CAN do it, but Obviously they SHOULDN'T be doing it. As far as censorship, no your ideas are not being completely blocked out yet, but it is a means of deplatforming unpopular ideas. It is an attempt to silence discourse.

RemiXound posted a video from a YouTuber above disputing what you are saying what is happening. It seems to explain everyones lack of understanding of the situation.

And I say, again, no videos are being removed, no new videos are being blocked. Anyone can still say whatever they want on YouTube, just like always.

I watched through half of GradeA's video and it was based off of faulty logic and facts (I've heard that this isn't his first time). Creators don't get the money back from the period when it wasn't monetized. The message is not saying that advertisers are pulling out of the video. It is saying that the video CANNOT have any money made off it. Again, simply not true.