YouTube is now censoring creators?!

jackmadrox

Took me a while to get with the OP video but they're complaining about not getting money, while no censorship is actually taking place... It's just people with controversial video topics complaining that advertisers don't want to show their products before such a video. Well duh...

Others have said it as well but yeah YouTube gives you the right to show your video, to expect money from them for your videos is insane. Your whole business model depending on getting money from YouTube advertising is not a healthy one. I have no idea where this "I deserve money for putting stuff on the internet" came from but back in the day, blogging and making videos was pure fun and getting your ideas out there... I'm refusing to put ads on my blog and YouTube channel myself, I'm writing and filming for the fun of it and to share some stories, not to make money. If my stories were good enough then I could think about getting some money for it but they're not so I act like everybody else in the real world and I have a normal job to support my hobby of writing/filming.

This whole thing reminds me of the South Park episode where people want some theoretical internet dollars from YouTube (wow, seven years ago...)

• Like 3

So is the message the important part in all of this, or making money? Because no ones message is being altered. Back in the day, people made videos because they wanted to say something, not just to get views to get the moniez. There is no attempt to silence anyone. Be as vocal as you want, as you always have been able to be, you're just not going to make money if your message is contrary to what the advertisers would like to associate their products with.

You're defending people getting paid to put any old garbage on there. Since advertisers are putting up the money for people to get paid, they get to decide who gets the money. That's the way a job works. If people just show up and stand around at their job, but demand to get paid even though they're not doing what the people who pay them want and those people agreed to do, it's not censorship. It's also not censorship what YouTube is doing.

There is NO suppression going on. Not getting paid for shitty videos is NOT censorship.

Content Creators NEED money to make videos which are capable of spreading their message. They can't spread their message without means of supporting themselves financially. You clearly do not have a solid understanding of how YouTube works, so I don't know why you are bothering arguing in a forum thread like you know what you are talking about.

"You're defending people getting paid to put any old garbage on there"

Strawman, nice try. Moving on.

It also seems that you didn't actually read my posts, because what I said earlier is that advertisers can pull their ads from any video. They could do that before, NOTHING was stopping them. As for the rest of your message you didn't refute any of my points and just started shouting "ITS NOT CENSORSHIP BECAUSE I SAID SO".

So next time, either address my points, or make an actual coherent argument.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Oh, is this a real crisis now? I thought YouTube was going to die a fiery death after the last crisis.

If they think their videos deserve advertising, call around and find a direct sponsor. They should be able to find someone willing to pay them to make YouTube videos if they deserve money for them, right?

• Like 4

Only time will tell with this situation. From what I can gather different content creators are getting hit for a multitude of reasons. Just gotta wait for more time and concrete stories/information to come shed more light.

I just wanted to chime in and say that the salt here is kinda remarkable. Mostly strikes me as people who are jealous that others get to make money out of YouTube, but whatever.

Advertisers obviously have a right to pay whomever they want but the issue is with safe videos being flagged and demonetized for no good reason. YouTube's more interesting faces and channels [FilthyFrank, h3h3, etc] don't really have a place anymore.

YouTube won't die since there is no true alternative but it sure will become a lot more boring.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 3:50 AM, JesterZelfer96 said:

Only time will tell with this situation. From what I can gather different content creators are getting hit for a multitude of reasons. Just gotta wait for more time and concrete stories/information to come shed more light.

A bit of the problem here is that if you use certain words in title, description etc, or even use them in the video, especially if someone subtitles your video with those words, well, then the video gets demonetized, unless you're major TV news outlet. And then you get fake outrage from old media about some few ad viewings on a video that has somehow slipped through some cracks somewhere...

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, Arkthur said:

There is only one reason why YT doesn't die, no competition.

Well...there is a site. http://www.vid.me that is shaping up to be a possible threat to youtube. The only reason more people don't know about vidme is that it isn't being advertised anywhere. Yet.

Edited by jackmadrox

15 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

YOUTUBE IS AT IT AGAIN. THIS TIME THEY'VE ATTACKED ADAM FROM WHATCULTURE:

Was a bit of a shock when that happened, was just about to start watching the event when i read about that, just thankful they put the event on FB in the end

• 7 months later...
On 9/7/2016 at 5:19 AM, DaivRules said:

So is the message the important part in all of this, or making money? Because no ones message is being altered. Back in the day, people made videos because they wanted to say something, not just to get views to get the moniez. There is no attempt to silence anyone. Be as vocal as you want, as you always have been able to be, you're just not going to make money if your message is contrary to what the advertisers would like to associate their products with.

You're defending people getting paid to put any old garbage on there. Since advertisers are putting up the money for people to get paid, they get to decide who gets the money. That's the way a job works. If people just show up and stand around at their job, but demand to get paid even though they're not doing what the people who pay them want and those people agreed to do, it's not censorship. It's also not censorship what YouTube is doing.

There is NO suppression going on. Not getting paid for shitty videos is NOT censorship.

Youtube would be a better place without the PewdiePies, Markpliers and Jacksepticeyes. Those three guys have been making money hand over fist for many years now for just about any bullshit and garbage they crank out. Watchmojo and WhatCulture are guilty of this as well. They're cookie cutter channels that manufacture and produce videos just to make money.

The people I pay attention to are the ones that don't have to rely on flashy thumbnails and are completely being themselves. I'm also sick of the jump cuts people make, like they can't make a two - three minute video from start to finish without interruption.

Most of the good people I know on Youtube barely make any money and barely get any attention from advertisers. Because they don't have the right look, they're fat, they're old, they don't have makeup on, etc etc etc. The top 1 percent on Youtube are no different from the Kim Kardashians, the Justin Beibers, the Katy Perrys, the iJustines, the Beyonce and Jay Zs, so on and so forth. That's what advertisers want, someone who is marketable. Someone who is marketable enough to make an appearance on Stephen Colbert's talk show, dance and sing on Ellen DeGeneres and be a guest on Saturday Night Live.

It's more about the views and the money than it is about you being you. A lot of people are still being them but Youtube no longer caters to them like they used to. 2005 - 2008 was the era in which you could get by with featured videos and make a name for yourself through your channel. Today you have to be glossy and have the right look, and if you don't then you're out of luck.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1