The "Let's Play Something That Isn't Terrible" Platinum Challenge: Andrea vs. Cjshaitan

Platinum Race Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. The winner?

• Andrea
    • Cjshaitan

Finally a clash of two players that will play anything ...... anytime ........ anywhere and without shame to inflate their platinum count and trophy lists. Thats right I have put my freshly acquired ( if somewhat sticky / thanks the_couchster ) copy of Hannah Montana back on the shelf next to critically slammed classic Duck Dynasty. And from the horrors that is my game collection, deep in the dark back corner almost out of reach I found some games over 5 hours in length.

Now going head to head in real games is sure to bring many many hours of fun ...... and frustration ( yes I'm looking at you 3 save Hardcore run Dead Space 2 ). But mix in the classic Mass Effect, Shadow of Mordor and Alpha protocol ( which I had never heard of ) and it seems like an overall very enjoyable experience. 

But can I keep up with the formidable trophy destroyer Andrea ?

Will my 5 second attention span distract me from platinum glory ?

Will my average trophy rarity continue to blow out as I seek moments of refuge in Disney Infinity ( damn that Finding Dory Dlc ..... sooo good )

Or will my secret plan of idling waiting by till Andrea breaks all her controllers, followed by a sudden suicidal lunge of the PS4 console out the window as she falls victim to the black plague that is Akuma mode in The Evil Within.

Well follow along as one seasoned, respected, high quality, skilled, talented under pressure and proven trophy hunter takes on Cjshaitan generally respected for his unparalleled noobness, appalling controller dexterity and fits of uncontrollable rage triggered by handling many a games challenging title screens.

Let the trophies fall where they may, it's gonna be one fun ride ................

• Like 3

This voting is really scaring me, it is weird to be the overwhelming favorite. 

I will be starting with Shadow of Mordor because it is the fastest and with a three day weekend coming up I should be able to get most of the way towards finishing it. It looks like a fun game, I used to love the Lord of the Rings RTS games on PC back in the day.

I don't know much about Alpha Protocol either CJ, but I got it for $2 and it is an Obsidian RPG. Your mind games won't work though, I won't be underestimating you as I've noticed that at some point, many months ago, you got a few legit platinums.

• Like 1

This voting is really scaring me, it is weird to be the overwhelming favorite. .

Why I do believe I voted for you to win too.

Lol he was carried through by yours truly on some of those "legit" platinums but even then, I have to giv ether vote to Cj only because if I don't, he gets grumpy

I'm going to let this pass, but by taking a look at the crap you play on your profile I'm not sure you could carry anyone through anything. Oh and congrats on the Hannah Montana plat (...... Disgusting )

I will be starting with Shadow of Mordor because it is the fastest and with a three day weekend coming up I should be able to get most of the way towards finishing it. It looks like a fun game, I used to love the Lord of the Rings RTS games on PC back in the day.

Nice, heard many good things about Shadow of Mordor so looking forward to it. I'm going to save it and start tomorrow with either Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol.

With CJ having played 300 more games than you and you having more plats than him I'm not suprised everyone voted you lol.

Techincally I haven't actually played them, I load up every game as I get it so I can keep track of what I have. To be honest I have turned into somewhat of a collector. I would hazard a guess that I actually haven't played around 150 games on my profile. I love it though cause I always have something new and fun to try :)

• Like 1

So brief update on progress ...... There hasn't been any :)

I'm pretty much locked in now for another week or so focusing on Mad Max, which is fantastic ( defs the best game I played this year ). Once it's done I will start Mass Effect, which should contrast nicely with the release of my most anticipated game of the year Forza 3 Horizon ( I have my racing wheel ready to go )

Edited by cjshaitan
  • Like 1

No progress here either. I've been busy clearing some of the games I already had on my profile. Knocked out NCAA 13 (minus dumb unobtainable trophy,) NFL 25 minus the online stuff I'll need a partner to do, and Ms. Pac-Man. Working on AC: Unity now, hoping to have that done sometime this week.

Since you aren't planning on doing anything until later this week I will probably get back into Dragon Age first. I don't want to fall behind in my race vs. Zajac.

• Like 1

Just a quick update that there is nothing to update :)

Almost finished Mad Max, which is really great but the end game is long. Now just down to some collectible grinding and car challanges. Should knock it over this week. Things slow down for the rest of the year after this week so looking forward to getting started.

First game up will be Mass Effect as I can sense Commander Shepard is anxious to begin.

• Like 2

We are really off to a hot start.

No update here either. I've been trying to get the Call of Juarez boosting done (the truly nightmarish tales I could tell of my 4 hour session today,) and doing a bit of Dragon Age on the side, while also getting caught up on school stuff. Throw in my work with two different guides (NBA 2k17: The Prelude and Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock) and I haven't had close to enough time to get started.

I intend to start at some point this week, certainly if I get Call of Juarez done in the next couple of days. I figure there's a reasonable chance I'll be able to prepare Shadow of Mordor for platinuming for THTL so I will definitely be aiming for that.

We are really off to a hot start.

No update here either.

:lol: Wow, seriously. But then again, so says the person who hasn't even done ANY work on his PRD list since Ratchet and Clank for the PS4. I think I'm just stalling for an excuse because the remaining games are going to be a b**** to work on. I've even forgotten where I was in R&C2.

Here's hoping the doldrums break (and my nickname completes Mad Max, good luck to him!) and we get a race going.

:lol: Wow, seriously. But then again, so says the person who hasn't even done ANY work on his PRD list since Ratchet and Clank for the PS4. I think I'm just stalling for an excuse because the remaining games are going to be a b**** to work on. I've even forgotten where I was in R&C2.

Here's hoping the doldrums break (and my nickname completes Mad Max, good luck to him!) and we get a race going.

omg there as bad as me lol, go to do one game then end up playing something else though you really wanna do the other games, i tend to get the list down then i get more games and the game i've been meaning to play goes back down the list lol

So unfortunately it would appear Mad Max has glitched on me, stupid scrap collection giving me trophy but not crediting challanges. As I am in about 80 hrs and don't particularly feel like restarting I decided to download Mass Effect instead. Coming into holiday in 5 days so looking forward to diving in. Of course my lack of self control and love of NBA also saw me preorder NBa2k17 so we shall see

Edited by cjshaitan

After nearly two weeks of playing nothing on the list, I finally played some Shadow of Mordor.

JRR Tolkien is from the same country as me (and therefore an author we studied in school,) but I've never had any real affinity for his books. I liked the films well enough, but they were a bit long for my 10-year-old tastes. I've not watched any of them since their theatrical release. Never saw the Hobbit trilogy but it looks like nonsense.

On the other hand, I've always enjoyed the LotR games. I played both Battle for Middle-Earth titles extensively back in the day, and even enjoyed the film tie-ins (minus Fellowship, that one was weird.) The LEGO game was definitely a LEGO game with all that entails, good and bad, and I've ignored the other titles to come out over the years as I hear they are mostly rubbish.

Thankfully so far Shadow of Mordor seems like it is a LotR property I can be interested in rather than dismissive of. I have no idea what the story is because I'm skipping all the cutscenes, but Gollum does appear! You play as an ugly, uncharismatic clone of Aragorn who has been possessed by a ghost or some such, which is disappointing because this game would've been rad if you could play as Legolas or Martin Freeman.

After playing AC:Unity for the last few weeks the map is a god-send. There are collectibles, but they are relatively sparse (looks like 82 spread across two large regions) and there don't seem to be a ton of side quests to clutter things up either. Imagine that, a map that you can actually read without having to filter out 10,000 collectible, quest, or point of interest markers!

After around 3.5-4 hours of playing I have finished all collectibles in the first area and about half of the side quest stuff. Most of it is pretty fun, the worst are the ultra-repetitive Slave Rescues, wherein you rescue one slave in the open world, only to be told to go to a waypoint and initiate a quest to free three more. The nemesis system gets a lot of hype but I haven't had the chance to dive into it yet as I only completed like two story missions and a lot of it seems locked off for now. Either way given the progress of my first session I'm hoping to have the game done in 20 hours or so.

Your move Cj :)

Edited to add: How's that for timing on our updates haha, crazy! I really like the NBA, but really dislike buying games at new price and pre-ordering. I still have 2k16 from PS Plus a few months back gathering dust on my digital shelf. It sucks that Mad Max glitched on you, and that makes me a little wary of buying it down the road. Nothing more annoying than glitchy trophies, especially on PS4 where I can't seem to backup my saves because my USBs never register properly.

Edited by Andrea

Lol it's funny we posted same time and it's cute u think your little " session " is a challange to me. As you can see I sunk 80 hrs into a game and laughed it off when it farked me, in comparison you made a novella style post about your 4 hrs in mordor. I may have made no progress here but don't think this is like your challange against that noob Zajac.

Oh next time you throw it over to me be ready for this me to fire back, I shit talk with the best :)

• Like 2

Well I've already knocked out one game.

Unlike many open world games you do have to complete 100% of the side content available, but luckily there isn't a huge amount. I doubt the game took me more than 16 hours of actual playing. It's an enjoyable experience too, reminds me a bit of the Arkham games combat wise and once you get the bow upgraded you really feel like a badass dual threat.

I didn't get any more engaged with the story, meh. I do hear there's talk of a second one coming out and I'd like that. Hell they could scrap the licensed property entirely and just carry over the engine and environmental designers and I'd be thrilled. Gorgeous game, I don't really consider 2 years old to be that old for a game but it definitely holds up with newer titles.

For most of the game I felt like the nemesis system was sort of a tacked on a silly thing, especially because for the purposes of the main quest it is heavily scripted. That all changed when I went for two misc. trophies during my cleanup. While trying to set up 5 bodyguards to betray a warchief I came across 1 bodyguard who literally could not be killed except through stealth finishers. I killed him once, he surprised me in the middle of nowhere with a new helmet covering where I sliced him open, I killed him again and he showed up as I started another mission, and I killed him a third time and quickly did the warchief mission before he could come back to life again. It was a really neat emergent story, and I think it would've been nice if the game's story had allowed for more of that rather than leaving it all to the post-game (which, frankly, is not especially compelling.)

As far as advice for knocking out this platinum, it definitely pays to do as much side stuff as you can stomach at a time. The weapon side quests are quite varied so this applies less to them, but the really tedious stuff like plant collection, liberating slaves, and collectibles should definitely be done sporadically through your playthrough and until you get burnt out on them, after which you can just go back to the main quest or do something else. I would've hated this game if I tried to do all 24 slave missions in a row. Other than that it really isn't that hard. Some people complain about getting the level 25 rune but I got it first try using the guide and it seemed simple enough. 3/10 difficulty sounds about right.

I left one collectible on the map and am holding the platinum until we need it in THTL, whenever that will be, so it is really 82-0 right now. Yikes!

It'll be a couple weeks before I dive into the next game, which will probably be Alpha Protocol. I'll give you some much needed time to catch up.