I Bought The Taken King Expansion Without Owning Base Destiny

GaryHyphenJon

Hi,

Just like the topic title says, I bought the Taken King expansion without actually owning base Destiny.  I tried downloading the demo to see if that fixed it, but it didn't.

The PSN Store has now also locked me out of buying The Collection, saying I can't buy it because I already own the Taken King.

However, The Collection Upgrade is still available so does anyone know if I buy the upgrade I will get access to base Destiny as well so I can play everything?

Thanks.

Edited by shell_cup

What does the "collection" upgrade have in description?

edit: if you get the collection upgrade it includes 

DIGITAL PRE-ORDER DETAILS:

Pre-order and receive a bonus after checking out:
- Destiny
- Expansion I, Expansion II, Destiny: The Taken King

- Destiny: Rise of Iron Dynamic Theme

Pre-purchase to immediately begin playing Destiny, Expansions I & II, and The Taken King Today.

Pre-purchase also includes Iron Gjallarhorn and Iron Gjallarwing Sparrow.*

*Access to Iron Gjallarhorn, Iron Gjallarwing Sparrow, & Level 40 Character Boost starting 09.20.16.

so yes you will have access to the rest of the game.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

I don't think the Collection Upgrade will give you access to the rest of the game, so your best bet is to purchase the game on a different tag since you are now locked out of purchasing it on yours. Mind asking why you brought the DLC without the game? Especially since The Collection was just announced with the entire game experience in one, cheaper bundle (clearly the better option for new players).

Are you sure?

From what I saw it only said it's for those who own Destiny on PS3.

But why would it let me buy it if I don't own Destiny on PS3?

First off, Bungie does the most confusing shit when it comes to bundles and descriptions. I can confirm that the Collection Upgrade will do what you need it to do. I only play Destiny on PS4 and purchased the upgrade in order to go digital.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/50alwi/how_to_go_disklessdigital_on_ps4_including_if/

Edited by Rowdi
  • Like 1

I don't think the Collection Upgrade will give you access to the rest of the game, so your best bet is to purchase the game on a different tag since you are now locked out of purchasing it on yours. Mind asking why you brought the DLC without the game? Especially since The Collection was just announced with the entire game experience in one, cheaper bundle (clearly the better option for new players).

I owned it way back on Xbox and wanted to see if I would still enjoy it on PS4, but I didn't want to pay the full price for The Collection.  I thought buying The Taken King would give me a chance to find out, without having to pay the full price.  I didn't know it would cause the headache it has.

First off, Bungie does the most confusing shit when it comes to bundles and descriptions. I can confirm that the Collection Upgrade will do what you need it to do. I only play Destiny on PS4 and purchased the upgrade in order to go digital.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/50alwi/how_to_go_disklessdigital_on_ps4_including_if/

So if I buy The Collection Upgrade, I'll get access to everything?  That's great!  Thanks for the help.  

So if I buy The Collection Upgrade, I'll get access to everything?  That's great!  Thanks for the help.

No worries. You could also purchase the vanilla disc cheap now if you'd prefer. Just another option if you didn't want to pre-order RoI right now. It'd come out at roughly the same price after buying that and the RoI expansion seperate, depending on where you live.

I owned it way back on Xbox and wanted to see if I would still enjoy it on PS4, but I didn't want to pay the full price for The Collection.  I thought buying The Taken King would give me a chance to find out, without having to pay the full price.  I didn't know it would cause the headache it has. 

Well alright, looks like you got it sussed anyway so have fun. However, for new players reading this, I still think paying full price for The Collection is a better option. Destiny is basically unplayable without DLC plus you're going to need TTK and ROI if you want 100% in trophies and it comes with a nice bonus too (instant level 40 boost) so I highly recommend The Collection for those who are looking to invest into Destiny.