PS4 fan has a seriously loud noise

EternalChaos72

So when i turn the PS4 on everything is ok but when i load up a game the fan goes bat shit crazy i mean seriously loud. I've had the console since launch. I loaded up Uncharted 4 there and i was actually worried incase the PS4 was gonna go on fire, i have a feeling the console is definitely on it's way out. This happens when i load up any game and even digital games :( i even have a cooling fan on it but even that doesn't do any good any more. When i quitted out of Uncharted the fan immediately cooled itself down. Anyone else having this problem? 

• Like 1

How much space does your PS4 have? My PS4 fan has generally always been loud especially during really graphics heavy games and I imagine with Uncharted 4 it would be no exception. But as long as I've had mine (since mid-2014) the loud fan is fine and just means it's working. Though I did get a new shelf to put it on and since it has more space it doesn't make as much noise. I also hear the cooling fans don't actually help that much, but someone else would have to explain that since I don't know much about them. I think it has something to do with them pushing the heat back again or something.

How much space does your PS4 have? My PS4 fan has generally always been loud especially during really graphics heavy games and I imagine with Uncharted 4 it would be no exception. But as long as I've had mine (since mid-2014) the loud fan is fine and just means it's working. Though I did get a new shelf to put it on and since it has more space it doesn't make as much noise. I also hear the cooling fans don't actually help that much, but someone else would have to explain that since I don't know much about them. I think it has something to do with them pushing the heat back again or something.

I have exactly 347.9GB free space, the cooling fan i got was only like a tenner off ebay any wonder it doesn't work well. I'm actually concerned about loading a game up again incase it catches fire. My ps3 doesn't read discs anymore so the only console i have to play on now is my Vita, that is until i manage to save up the money for another brand new PS4 lol. 

My launch model would really ramp up the fan when I played Uncharted 4, I think it just pushes the console hard so the fan works extra hard to compensate, as long as the console isn't overheating you should be good (the fans just doing its job) :D

Edited by DJROE95

My launch model would really ramp up the fan when I played Uncharted 4, I think it just pushes the console hard so the fan works extra hard to compensate, as long as the console isn't overheating you should be good (the fans just doing its job) :D

Lol but this is with every game not just Uncharted :hmm:

I have exactly 347.9GB free space, the cooling fan i got was only like a tenner off ebay any wonder it doesn't work well. I'm actually concerned about loading a game up again incase it catches fire. My ps3 doesn't read discs anymore so the only console i have to play on now is my Vita, that is until i manage to save up the money for another brand new PS4 lol. 

I think Redgrave might have been asking how much breathing room the console has. I usually try to keep three to six inches between the back of my consoles and whatever is behind them. Good ventilation will most definitely help the console run cooler. If your ps4 is packed in a tiny spot, ya might want to relocate it to a better ventilated area. Also, I would recommend vacuuming the console out with the vacuum nozzle. Try to get as much dust and gunk out of there. I do this every month with my consoles and have had no problems ; )

Edited by xoxoagent
  • Like 4

I meant physical space, my bad :P But it should be fine. Making sure you clean dust off of it once in a while can also be a good idea. I really wouldn't worry about it unless it's turning off by itself or something like that.

• Like 1

I meant physical space, my bad :P But it should be fine. Making sure you clean dust off of it once in a while can also be a good idea. I really wouldn't worry about it unless it's turning off by itself or something like that.

Haha my bad i picked it up wrong, yup it's in a well ventilated place so it couldn't be that. While your on the subject it had turned itself off in the past twice i think. 

The cooling fan uses the energy from the PS4 and makes it even warmer > more cooling needed > extra cooling fan can't cool the PS4 enough > internal fan gets crazy.

I didn't have the fan on at the time, so it's not really that either. I think it's just the console is old. I'll hoover out the fans and see what happens. I can't do it now though because it's late here and everyone away to bed, i'm waiting on the Vita to charge (dead battery) Hasn't been looked at in ages totally neglected lol

Haha my bad i picked it up wrong, yup it's in a well ventilated place so it couldn't be that. While your on the subject it had turned itself off in the past twice i think. 

Did it turn off because the fan was going into high gear? Or maybe it was a power outage throughout your house? If not then I would call Sony and see if they can get it looked at if you have the warranty still.

Did it turn off because the fan was going into high gear? Or maybe it was a power outage throughout your house? If not then I would call Sony and see if they can get it looked at if you have the warranty still.

Naw i don't think it has warranty on it anymore, think it only lasted two years. 

Naw i don't think it has warranty on it anymore, think it only lasted two years. 

I'm not sure then. I seriously doubt it would catch on fire though. I would keep playing it and only worry if it constantly turns off or starts ejecting discs while overheating.

I'm not sure then. I seriously doubt it would catch on fire though. I would keep playing it and only worry if it constantly turns off or starts ejecting discs while overheating.

True i guess, but for now i'm watching RE4 gameplay the full playthrough just for the shits and giggles lol.

Just saying, my launch-model PS4 is in a very open space and it still gets hot quite quickly. I helped correct the system by cutting out foam egg cartons to create a makeshift platform the system can sit on. Now when the fan kicks into high gear, the system still stays relatively cool. Warm, but not as hot as it did prior. Ventilation is a huge thing, and if you've kept it in a tighter or less-open space this whole time, it might've taken a toll

Just saying, my launch-model PS4 is in a very open space and it still gets hot quite quickly. I helped correct the system by cutting out foam egg cartons to create a makeshift platform the system can sit on. Now when the fan kicks into high gear, the system still stays relatively cool. Warm, but not as hot as it did prior. Ventilation is a huge thing, and if you've kept it in a tighter or less-open space this whole time, it might've taken a toll

It's been well looked after, i think it's just old and in need of a brand new one. I didn't think this was worth a mention but when i insert the dsic into the PS4 the console doesn't suck the disc in, instead i have to gently push it in.

If your fan is loud, this is probably why, a typical PS4 since 2014. It's time to open it up and do some vacuuming especially since warranty if over by now.

dWKdkW7.jpg?1

qMmOJRe.jpg

YT32WEE.jpg?1

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

If your fan is loud, this is probably why, a typical PS4 since 2014. It's time to open it up and do some vacuuming especially since warranty if over by now.

dWKdkW7.jpg?1

qMmOJRe.jpg

YT32WEE.jpg?1

Haha that's what my fan probably looks like to be honest. How do i go about opening the console? The warranty has definitely ended.