Online trophy tips

MosesRockefeller

So I just started this game (on PS4), and I read the guide and figured I'd give the MP a go after unlocking it during the campaign. 

I tried online hacking twice, and both times I got detected and killed. I'm not sure if there are leaderboards or multiplayer ranks involved that give points for killing players trying to hack you, or if people just enjoy killing other players because they can, but this experience reminds me why I hate multiplayer games. I have played more than one game where other players just kill newbies for the fun of it, even if it gives them no in-game benefit. In the words of Roy from IT Crowd, people are a bunch of bastards

Next I thought I'd take a break from that frustrating experience and try online racing, which is listed as "easy" in most of the trophy guides I've read. The first race I attempted, the guy leading the race must have been a veteran of the game who knew a bunch of shortcuts. Once the race was over, I checked the results and NOBODY finished except the winner. Ugh. I stuck around for the second race (it was a motorcycle race involving a bunch of train tracks if that means anything). This time I was at least more than 50% through the track when the winner finished, unlike the first race, but still much too far to finish. If this trophy required WINNING 10 races I'd just give up right now. Just finishing 10 races seems to be hard enough, let alone winning. It doesn't help that the vehicles are awful in this game. I've never been good at racing games, but I've always been able to finish the races in games like Read Dead Redemption, GTA series, Saints Row series, Sleeping Dogs, etc. Ramming into obstacles or being thrown from my bike definitely don't help in the races, but I'm still not sure that would be enough to complete a race involving people who have memorized all the tracks. 

Does anyone have any tips besides "just keep trying"? At least the Traced trophy is boostable, so I will try to find a partner for that one. But for the others, I'm frustrated and not sure if the effort of repeated failed attempts is worth it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... I finished the game 2 yrs ago but went back to plat just recently [got bored of the grind first time around] as I picked up the dlc cheap and heard to was decent [so far it is] plus vaguely thinking about playing WD2 when it gets released.

On the online I initially had a similar experience to you but got through it pretty quick in the end.. tips are:

1. Racing -

a. if you get this situation just quit the session and join a new one... most of the time you don't encounter people at a high level and should be able to finish in the time limit.

b. If you only care about the trophy don't take too many risks to actual win.. you just want to place

c. Use your nitro immediately at the start of the race.. no one else does!.. this will immediately put you in first place and clear of the carnage that usually happens at the start then drive carefully and don't worry about someone overtaking as long as you stay reasonably close to them

d. Use all the hacking tools to switch lights etc ... don't drive it like a simple race

2. Tailing - this is really easy as the other user will not get notification that you have invaded so just keep well back and act like an NPC

3. Hacking -

a. To answer your question the other person will lose online ranking points for being hacked.. I couldn't care less and generally just let people hack me to help them out but others might care and it can be fun to try to track the person down so they are not griefing you

b. After you locate and scan the target do not immediately initiate the hack [press down].. you have a time limit before you need to initiate and an area you need to stay in so use that time to find a good hiding place. Dumpsters or a different elevation [under bridges, on roofs] are good as are parked cars on a busy street [ press circle to hide when you get in]. Also.. if you are in a more rural area [esp at night] you can just stand in the trees.. almost impossible to be spotted! A fun option in the city is hide behind a pillar of building and just run round and round the pillar whenever they get close!.. since they need line of sight to see you.

c. If the person is driving use the same techniques as (b.) and wait till the absolute last moment on time/area counter. The person driving will then be the maximum distance away from you and driving at speed when the hack starts and will really struggle to get back to your area or might just carry on driving and let the hack happen

d. I found often times I was placed into someone's game where chaos was occurring... then just drive up and copy other cars behaviour... or if police are involved just hide in a police car!.. this was always quite amusing to watch and by the time they have finished with the gun fight they will never find you. 

e. If on foot in the docks area cross a body of water prior to initiating hack but not after you start as it stops the hack and the other player will be told you are in water which might narrow the search.

f. Finally I believe you can use Jamming and Blackout [esp useful at night] if you feel the other player might be getting close.. I don't think that pauses your hack.

Hope this all helps! For me the drinking games were an absolute killer but I got there in the end!

Edited by aric201812

Thanks for the tips, aric201812. I have since gotten all but the hacking and getting tailed trophies done. 

The racing worked out pretty much like you said, I did not place on a few races but for the most part I found that I did better by focusing on the course and not getting too caught up in the other drivers. I actually never even used my hacking abilities and just raced. I often found myself pulling ahead of the other players while they were busy griefing each other, and I even got first place a few times. I actually did great with the motorcycle races once I got the hang of driving them, and much preferred them to those awful cars that look like Fiat 500s. I forget what they're called but I think the dump trucks handle better! 

Online tailing went well too, my first attempt resulted in my target quitting the game or something, and it counted as a success for me (I think I had started the progress percentage, because the target left in later attempts and I did not get credit). The "tail without getting detected" trophy didn't pop though, but it did on the second tailing attempt where the progress went to 100%. I ended up tailing a lot of idle players so those were easy. Once or twice I got spotted but overall it wasn't bad. I don't know if it well help other players, but playing around 9-10pm EST last night (Thursday) matched me with a decent amount of idle players, so that might be a good time to go for the Tailing/Hacking trophies. 

I have 2 out of 10 online hacks done so hopefully I won't have too much trouble finishing that up. From watching myself get hacked (which I always allow, since I don't care about online rank, like you), I did discover that the points go down from being hacked. So at least they're not complete griefers, although that probably does motivate some of them. 

Hopefully I can find someone to boost the "get tailed" trophy with me since when I just play and randoms invade me, I only seem to get hacked... at least the tailing trophy hasn't popped yet. 

I'm not looking forward to the drinking games, but I'm hoping they aren't too bad now since they were patched to be easier. I do think the game overall is fine, I didn't give it a chance when I first tried it but now I'm enjoying it. I don't like Aiden's voice but the gameplay and story are interesting. 

Thanks for the tips, aric201812. I have since gotten all but the hacking and getting tailed trophies done. 

The racing worked out pretty much like you said, I did not place on a few races but for the most part I found that I did better by focusing on the course and not getting too caught up in the other drivers. I actually never even used my hacking abilities and just raced. I often found myself pulling ahead of the other players while they were busy griefing each other, and I even got first place a few times. I actually did great with the motorcycle races once I got the hang of driving them, and much preferred them to those awful cars that look like Fiat 500s. I forget what they're called but I think the dump trucks handle better! 

Online tailing went well too, my first attempt resulted in my target quitting the game or something, and it counted as a success for me (I think I had started the progress percentage, because the target left in later attempts and I did not get credit). The "tail without getting detected" trophy didn't pop though, but it did on the second tailing attempt where the progress went to 100%. I ended up tailing a lot of idle players so those were easy. Once or twice I got spotted but overall it wasn't bad. I don't know if it well help other players, but playing around 9-10pm EST last night (Thursday) matched me with a decent amount of idle players, so that might be a good time to go for the Tailing/Hacking trophies. 

I have 2 out of 10 online hacks done so hopefully I won't have too much trouble finishing that up. From watching myself get hacked (which I always allow, since I don't care about online rank, like you), I did discover that the points go down from being hacked. So at least they're not complete griefers, although that probably does motivate some of them. 

Hopefully I can find someone to boost the "get tailed" trophy with me since when I just play and randoms invade me, I only seem to get hacked... at least the tailing trophy hasn't popped yet. 

I'm not looking forward to the drinking games, but I'm hoping they aren't too bad now since they were patched to be easier. I do think the game overall is fine, I didn't give it a chance when I first tried it but now I'm enjoying it. I don't like Aiden's voice but the gameplay and story are interesting. 

The tailing can be done with friends, but as for the online hacking, the only way I was able to get the 10 needed was I got lucky and ended up in lobbies where people were afk and didn't even bother looking.

It's not true they won't notice you, either. When getting my tails, I got spotted and killed plenty of times. You can see when someone enters your game; just pause it and the background will either freeze or continue moving. Pretty sure that's how they knew. 

This happened to me once or twice, but a few times I did not get noticed even when the player was not idle. At least twice my target was running from the cops so he or she was distracted, and a few times they were just running around and I guess I was inconspicuous enough that I did not stand out. Some players probably don't think to try the pause menu trick, which does sound like a good technique. 

This happened to me once or twice, but a few times I did not get noticed even when the player was not idle. At least twice my target was running from the cops so he or she was distracted, and a few times they were just running around and I guess I was inconspicuous enough that I did not stand out. Some players probably don't think to try the pause menu trick, which does sound like a good technique. 

Yeah, when they were too busy running from cops were the easiest times. Lol. 

It's not true they won't notice you, either. When getting my tails, I got spotted and killed plenty of times. You can see when someone enters your game; just pause it and the background will either freeze or continue moving. Pretty sure that's how they knew. 

You are absolutely right that people can notice [initially the save icon might appear and reticle will vanish for a moment I think.. then you can pause to check] but my point was that, unlike hacking, they will not get an in game notification or a search area/countdown etc so if they are going about their business the probability of being spotted if very low if you keep your distance esp if they are driving as they are not going to be looking behind. Personally I never got spotted.. most people were too busy... one person was continuously shooting at a wall... someone else was busy killing everyone in a coffee shop which was a bit disturbing!

I agree.. I got pretty burnt out on it 2 years ago but the Bad Blood dlc is pretty good so far with a more interesting lead character so I am glad to have gone back. Not sure what WD2 will be like as it seems more co-op focused. Happy to help you get the traced trophy so msg me when you are online.

I agree.. I got pretty burnt out on it 2 years ago but the Bad Blood dlc is pretty good so far with a more interesting lead character so I am glad to have gone back. Not sure what WD2 will be like as it seems more co-op focused. Happy to help you get the traced trophy so msg me when you are online.

Cool, I will probably play it some tonight, tomorrow, and/or Sunday. I'm EST, or GMT-5. Evenings are usually my best time, but I have a morning boosting session tomorrow for AC4 Black Flag. I just bought Bad Blood and need to go through those co-op missions as well, but I don't know if I need to get to a certain point first in order to unlock them. I have a mission or two left in Act 1 so I really just started with the main campaign's story.