Sonic Mania Discussion & Gameplay, Release Date August 15th, 2017

Parker

We have a reveal thread for when this and "Project Sonic 2017" were announced but I think a proper, 2D Sonic game deserves its own thread. So, let's start with some awesome direct feed 60fps gameplay of both the Green Hill Zone and the new Studiopolis Zone. 

Watching this makes me smile because it brings back great memories of me as a kid playing the original Sonic games on my Genesis. I really think this will be the Sonic game that fans of the original games have been wanting for so long.

Parker

Edited by Parker
  • Like 4

If you're curious about the developers of this game, take a look at this video. After watching it I'm even more excited for Sonic Mania because it is clear that they are true fans of the original games and actually care about Sonic the Hedgehog. 

Parker

The developer's history with Sonic ports is impressive from all I've heard, which only adds upon how promising the gameplay footage we've seen is! I've personally always preferred the Adventure style of Sonic games, but this looks not only like a very good 2D Sonic, it may possibly be the best we've had in a long time! (I mean, better than Generations is still really good :P)

• 1 month later...

Some more gameplay. I can't fucking wait for this game and that CRT filter looks awesome. 

Some Knuckles and Tails gameplay as well...

The music in the game is amazing as well, if Sega release a soundtrack for this game it will be an immediate purchase too. 

Parker

Edited by Parker

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Parker said:

Some more gameplay, this is directly from the official Sonic YouTube channel.

It looks so good. With the N. Sane Trilogy and Sonic Mania I'm going to have a lot of awesome platforming this year.

Parker

Holy smokes this look more amazing each time I see more gameplay of it :D so glad I still have the collectors edition on pre order :) the 6 year old inside me is doing flips of joy at the thought of playing both sonic and crash this year :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The release date has been revealed as August 15th, 2017. Here is the new trailer, I can't fucking wait. Crash Bandicoot and a proper 2D Sonic game in the span of two months? I'm a very happy man. 

Parker

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Parker said:

The release date has been revealed as August 15th, 2017. Here is the new trailer, I can't fucking wait. Crash Bandicoot and a proper 2D Sonic game in the span of two months? I'm a very happy man. 

Am I the only one thinking it would be cool if they made a Sonic game where the actual graphics are in those pencil drawings?

Anyways August seems to be a bit crowded now... The week after this is the release of both Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Middle-earth: Shadow Of War. Might just have to pick one of these games and ignore the other two, in which case Middle-earth would win. I'm getting more and more into this Sonic with new stuff revealed but both Middle-earth and Uncharted still do more for me.

Hmmmm, though I could get Sonic Mania on the Switch and have it on the go... That would be a big plus for it and could cause me to just get it right away.

Maybe I missed it but do we know a price for Sonic Mania yet?

13 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Maybe I missed it but do we know a price for Sonic Mania yet?

€19.99/£15.99/$19.99 on PS4 and Xbox

It's slightly cheaper on Steam

12 hours ago, Jak said:

No physical release confirmed. There better be a platinum trophy (compensation extent).

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think Sega's ever given a platinum trophy to a game that didn't have a physical version.

• Like 1

Dying for some more 2D Sonic action. I'll be grabbing this sucker day one on that Nintendo Switchymajig contraption. 

Sonic games are always perfect for on the go gameplay, and now I don't have to decide between having it on the go or having it at home. 

Gotta go fast.

27 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

€19.99/£15.99/$19.99 on PS4 and Xbox

It's slightly cheaper on Steam

Thanks. Nice, that Steam pre-order bonus, I gladly used the ones The Day Of The Tentacle and Full Throttle had on PS4.

Is it just me or is €20 a bit steep for a game like this? Is it longer than the usual classic Sonic game? Shovel Knight used to be €15 and it's around the same length, possibly even longer, and that's without the DLC.

I hope there is going to be a platinum trophy, I know it's more likely there isn't but one can hope. Looks amazing though! I'm really loving Sonic's bright blue colour rather than his usual dark blue. I've had my pre-order down on Amazon since last year.

On 5/31/2017 at 5:57 AM, Shadiochao said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think Sega's ever given a platinum trophy to a game that didn't have a physical version.

That's only gonna hurt them. No physical version, only being able to buy the game digitally, is bad enough. Now... no platinum trophy on top of this? The game is $20, and considering specific other games, they can squeeze a platinum in there.

On 5/31/2017 at 6:36 AM, SamS7398 said:

I hope there is going to be a platinum trophy, I know it's more likely there isn't but one can hope. Looks amazing though! I'm really loving Sonic's bright blue colour rather than his usual dark blue. I've had my pre-order down on Amazon since last year.

CS wasnt even this light blue in his own games, so its inconsistent with his (aesthetic) legacy prior to Mania, which this game looks better and consistently follows his re-designed fur shade from Gen's/Mania. MS is the one who got brighter first, after SA2 (especially in Heroes and 06). They then gave CS a unique and different shade of blue, solely to distinguish him from MS, in Gens. Dark Blue is just inaccurate to say for the recent versions of MS, where he's more of the standard-traditionally blue than dark blue, unlike SA1 and below, Darkspine Sonic, and Dark Sonic (as you can see are truly dark blue). But if you added "er" to the end of dark, it'd be fine to say. Just some insight, that's all.