Sony will not charge for patches and devs are not allowed to charge for patches *confirmed*

Superbuu3

Yes, I am aware there is a similar named topic saying the exact opposite, but this is confirmed and people tend not to read half the posts in a topic.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/12861310/ps4-pro-4k-hdr-patch-fee

A representative for Sony told Polygon that the company "will not charge consumers for patches." We've asked Sony to clarify whether that applies only to games published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, and will update when we hear back.

Jack Sipich, founder of developer Absinthe Games, said in a NeoGAF post that developers "are not allowed to charge you for patches or [PS4 Pro] feature updates."

• Like 2

Yea, if this was true honestly I'd just switch to xbox that's bad ... but ya know : ) 

If companies were suddenly allowed to charge for patches under any context they could technically release broken games and force players to pay for them to fix the bugs through a loop hole.

Yeah, it was...my bad.

Not your fault at all IGN are just crappy journalists who don't think to clarify things, and just run a story thats clickbait.

• Like 1

Yes, I am aware there is a similar named topic saying the exact opposite, but this is confirmed and people tend not to read half the posts in a topic.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/12861310/ps4-pro-4k-hdr-patch-fee

Half the posts? They barely finish the first post.

Anyway, thanks for getting the news out there. I remember Sony saying a while ago that they wouldn't charge for patches to firmware or games, but couldn't find it when I looked again. This source is good enough to refer to in the future. Thanks!

If companies were suddenly allowed to charge for patches under any context they could technically release broken games and force players to pay for them to fix the bugs through a loop hole.

YMrM46p.gif

Edited by Jigsy1
  • Like 3

Not your fault at all IGN are just crappy journalists who don't think to clarify things, and just run a story thats clickbait.

EA and Konami are most likely saddend at this since they cant extort more money now

This would be impossible to implement. Morally and legally.

Who's the dumb ass who thought this would be true or ever happen???

Really? Care to elaborate?

I still don't think we have the whole story on this. This isn't charging for a patch to fix a bug or an error, this is a patch to enable 4K playback. For some games, I imagine that would require significant work and revision of the existing code and game engine.

Not saying that there should be a fee, but on the flip side, I'm not sure a ton of companies are going to invest the time or money to prepare a patch for free, then pay Sony to deliver that patch.

For new games coming out, makes sense. For big titles (COD, UC etc), it may pay off with increased sales. But I would expect that the vast majority of devs are just going to leave their games run as is, not update them.

As for morality, this is a company. I'm not sure where morality comes into the decision. Companies are not sentient beings with morals. It is legal or not, profitable or not, but morality is irrelevant.

As for being illegal, again you would need to back that up. I don't think you have a case. Again, charging for patches to fix something broken may be illegal, or at least could be subject to a class action suit, but I don't see how that applies to new content updates. That is essentially DLC.

To put this another way, what are the current HD remasters if not patches to update the game to play on higher spec'ed systems?

And now that is going to be done for free?

This was to be expected, but I wish they'd also entirely remove (or discount) the fees for game patches that publishers have to pay, if only so we'd have better chances of getting patches for broken games (or trophies) when the publishers can't or won't pay those fees.

I'm torn on that. On the one hand, I certainly would like broken games to be fixed. But on the other hand, I would like to keep (theoretically) shady developers from hoisting half-finished shit on the public, since they can always patch it for free later.

• Like 1

This was to be expected, but I wish they'd also entirely remove (or discount) the fees for game patches that publishers have to pay, if only so we'd have better chances of getting patches for broken games (or trophies) when the publishers can't or won't pay those fees.

I wonder if some form of scaled cost might be reasonable. Of course, this is speculation, and I don't know that the patch price has been made public, but I understood it was 10k/patch?

Maybe for COD, or a AAA game, it should be more. Maybe the price should be less for small indie titles. Presumably the cost is to cover the bandwidth associated with distributing the patch, so for a game with 5million install base, there will be a lot more downloads than a game that has sold 100,000 units.

Maybe a cost based on size and userbase?

EDIT - still don't think this is related to the OT. The article wasn't about general patches, but HDR update patches. I still think those will end up being handled differently.

Maybe we will see PS4 Pro HDR remasters of standard PS4 games :P

Edited by diskdocx
  • Like 1

But if that happened, they could not force it =D

Now when it's a patch, they can force you to download it.

Make the  Version without the DLC "unplayable" (different kinds of glitches, grafics beeing not shown properly and stuff) promise a patch but take your sweet time releasing it. Make people aware of this glitches not being around the "patched" version for some "unknown" reason. of course you put the fix into the DLC.

Probably enough people would still buy the game (especially "casuals" which just buy a Game because they see it in a Store, not reading any critics about it) and buy the DLC as well to make it "playable" after they heard about that.