Campers vs Run 'n Gunners...

ProfBambam55

Play Style  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of play describes you best?

• Camper
    • Run 'n Gunner
    • A bit of both
    • Other

yo everyone...simple question here: in an online match which style do you prefer, run 'n gun, camping, a bit of both or none of the above?...

personally, i've always been the type to run and gun (although not the greatest at it) and admire any player that can pull off consecutive headshots in a matter of seconds while jumping/running around in a frantic yet controlled manner...i love games that encourage this style of play by offering small maps...

my longest psn friend, on the other hand, is a proud camper...at the start of a deathmatch, he heads for the hills and is so good at sniping he sometimes takes out a whole team in less than 20 seconds...i don't like being randomly picked off by snipers but have also come to respect those who are skilled at busting moving targets' heads...spawn camping is not including in this category...that's just plain cheap...

I haven't seriously played COD in a few years but for the most part I do both. If I have a sub machine gun though, I am always moving. I actually wouldn't even call what I do camping. I just say in an area a little longer than I normally would but I don't really stay in the same spot. I have also met some campers that are proud of it and have no problem letting you know. At the end of the day though, someone that pays $60 for their game can play however they want, barring any exploits or hacks of course.

Edited by skateak

I'm mostly a run 'n gunner, I just found it incredibly boring to sit in one place and wait for people to come for me. I need to be in the middle of the action all the time. Most of the time the aggressive tactic works just fine.

Edited by Juzota

I'm not always good at playing PvP style shooters and stuff.  But I remember playing a lot of Transformers: Fall Of Cybertron multiplayer on the 360 and I was pretty decent at it.  I remember doing both camping and run and gunning while playing it and I had to switch between the two during matches or else I would end up getting myself or one of my teammates killed somehow.

• Like 1

"Camping" in real combat is also known as self-preservation. Also, tactics. Finding a defensible position and using the environment and the characteristics of your equipment to force the enemy to fight a battle at a disadvantage. Dancing around in the open, rushing an enemy head-on, gets you killed like the moron you are. Sun Tzu wrote a book about it, I hear.

So I prefer to fight a tactical battle, not a moronic one.

• Like 2

"Camping" in real combat is also known as self-preservation. Also, tactics. Finding a defensible position and using the environment and the characteristics of your equipment to force the enemy to fight a battle at a disadvantage. Dancing around in the open, rushing an enemy head-on, gets you killed like the moron you are. Sun Tzu wrote a book about it, I hear.

So I prefer to fight a tactical battle, not a moronic one.

haha...you sound like my friend...he plays video games like it is real-life combat and sees 1 death as a failure...my point to him has always been if everyone camps and hides, then no one gets any kills cause we're all hiding waiting for someone else to make the first move...run 'n gunning doesn't necessarily mean running around in the open, rushing an enemy head-on, or not using the environment to your advantage...also, why anyone would be a moron for how they choose to play video games i don't quite understand but is also beside the point...i think both styles are important to having a good team balance and am asking which role describes you best...

also, why anyone would be a moron for how they choose to play video games i don't quite understand but is also beside the point...

It's a harmless opinion from an anonymous face on the internet. People have every right to play the way they're most comfortable with. I have every right to point and laugh at the next Leeroy Jenkins who wants to test his health bar against my clip and defensible position. And they no doubt point and laugh if that works in their favor. Works both ways.

I did a bit of both when I played Call of Duty. I wasn't very good at either of them. But when I played Battlefield I realized my true calling was support, in which I just spam ammo and health for everyone like a true hero.

• Like 2

In shooters Run and Gun for me lol ;D I m not really good at camping and taking enemies from afar. I m a noob so I prefer Run and Gun preferably in tight spaces to avoid anyone taking me out from a distance but I hate using shotguns and the fact that it usually takes 1 shot in close combat to kill you. If there are some trophy requirements that ask you to get kills with shotgun then I guess I m using that cheap way of killing but most of the time I preffer assault rifle.

I love Running and Gunning! I do my best with it and you just get a natural feel for it and the levels. Nothing better than taking out half the team and hearing people call you a try hard, lol.

I run while sticking to walls and cover though, I try to explain it to my sister who I usually play CoD with, but she just keeps running around corners blind and not checking her back.

I am totally Run 'n Gunner. I love the speed then on smaller maps. When you see the Pros at it, they are jumping, crouching after jump, shoot and run to a different spot. Something like that crazy with speed. Campers can be located easy (depent on hardcore mode, game). I like to have mid range weapons. Shotguns are good at corners, buidlings. I try to avoid sniper, camper or shotgun guys at their advantage places.

The more you play Run 'n Gunner the more fun you have when you get used to it ;)

Edit: Of course don't run mindlessly in combat. I always check environment and stick to some buddies. K/D says all then. It should be at least over 1 all in all.

Edited by Dennis-nine-five
  • Like 1

I personally don't see how anyone can have fun by just sitting in the same corner and waiting for someone to run past them so they can kill them. But then again, people can play a game any way they want, as long as it's not cheating, so yeah. 

I don't really play Call of Duty type of games anymore but when I did, I tried to run and gun as well as I could. In online games that I play now, really fast paced running and gunning is not necessarily very effective as you can rarely win 1v2, let alone 1v3 gunfights. What I usually do is I try to hold a certain side or area of the map and patrol it and if someone considers that camping, well, so be it. 

Depends entirely on the situation. Game mode, guns I actually want to use, the actual map. 9/10 I will run around like an idiot, a habbit from all of the old Call of Duty games. I do think I should take a more tactical approach but that's just what I've grown up doing.

I used to rage about people camping but now I just rage at how many bullets it actually takes to kill someone, campers don't bother me nowhere near as much as they used to because I think there are many ways of actually getting rid of them than ever before on games now.

Depends on the game, honestly. Let's say.. COD, Titanfall, etc. Those games are fact paced and manic, I'd want to be a run'n'gunner and get into the action, let loose.

In games like Battlefield, Verdun. I want to be a camper, not massively, but a camper. Those games require more tactics/stratergy, so camping sometimes feels like that's how it's meant to be played.

• 1 month later...

Both. I do what works, if someone is bad enough that camping is going to stop them then lol at them and I'll do it. Campers are hated for what reason? Just know the maps and where the 'best' spots are for camping, and you don't have a problem. And if you know someone is camping in a specific spot... just throw a grenade or something in there. Not that hard.

Don't play much MP anymore though.