Does game length matter to you?

awf9495

I like to feel I'm getting value for money, but grind vs quality has to be considered as well.  100 hours, 80 of which are grinding isn't going to be as fun as 30 solid hours

Trophies has been a big thing for me in terms of getting added value from my games, it's also stung me.  The 'Multiplayer' garbage in AC: LIberation on the Vita was a lot of hours of rubbish for example.

Too short games for me include the Order 1886, no replay value, no difficulty awards and too short a campaign vs the collectibles in the Division which just dragged out the game time way too long.

• Like 1

I like a mixture.  Sometimes I want to knock out a short game that I can finish and be done with, like a TellTale game.  However, sometimes I want to play a long, expansive game I can keep coming back to, such as Fallout or Skyrim.

I disagree... The longer the better :P

Girth matters more than length.

Wait... what are we talking about again?

Edited by PantherPilot97
  • Like 4

I think price has a lot to do with it unfortunately, but that's probably isolated to new releases.

It's also a tricky thing for a long game to remain interesting for its entirety. 

Trophies are of course the answer. A game with good trophies gets naturally longer without spoiling itself with a grind.

One game I really wanted more of was ratchet and clank even after beating challenge mode I still wanted more

PREACH!

With a full time job, a wife who doesn't game, etc, I find that I prefer shorter experiences these days. I mostly have to play games at night, so can grab 1-2 hours of gaming per day during the week, and maybe 3-5 hour sessions on the weekend. 

A game with a 8-20 hour campaign is going to give me time to complete it and get the plat before the next game hits.

A game with 150+ hours of content isn't going to hold my attention all the way through, and may well be consigned to the backlog. 

So yeah, I prefer shorter games these days. But not so short that you'd call them short, necessarily. 

• Like 1

I don't like games that story modes take too long. I've bought The Witcher 3 on release day and still didn't complete it. Played GTA V for maybe 4-5 hours or so.

On the other hand, I tend to love games that you can boot up to play for 5 minutes and be done, I spend a lot more time on them :D

Counting up all music games such as Rock Band, Guitar Hero or DJ Hero, I've probably spent more than 2,500 hours. Crazy numbers.

It doesn't matter the time i spent with the game if it has enough content to keep me entertain and i'm having a great time doing so so it's totally fine by me. But sometimes i want to have a short but rather awesome experience to fulfill myself more faster like Journey , Rain or Flower . But i also like to play long sessions of RPG for the sake of spending a lot of time becoming stronger and surprassing many challenges . The problem is sometimes i don't have the time to play for invest in RPG for long to make good progression so i don't tend to adventure in many long-hours games at the time being .

Big Jrpg fan here! But game length doesn't bother me as much, quality over quantity. It's nice to play a great short game every now and then. It's like a break from my backlog. Having said that, most know the Golden Age of Final Fantasy (everything before X imo) games were very long, however despite their length were extremely satisfying. That's hard to do at that caliber. And I loved every minute of them, well into the 100 of hours, not to mention dozens of times replaying them.

Agree about quality over quantity. I would actually include FFX in the Golden Age (I remember how much fun I had re-engineering the sphere grid on PS2 before there was a trophy for it).  There are still games that I believe offer both quality and length - I put over 300 hours into Persona 4 between the PS2 and Vita and played The Witcher 3 for more than 2 months (soon to be more when I pick up Blood and Wine).  I'm not even sure that these experiences are fewer than they used to be, I think a big part of it is that there is just so much more to choose from now that it sometimes feels like it.

I feel ok if I spend a dollar per game hour. If I spend $60 on a game I expect at least 60 hours of content.

This is the formula I use as well.

Yeah, estimated gameplay time is my main criterion when buying a new game. I just can't justify paying 20€ for "short, beautiful" games with zero replay value, especially when I could get a 50-80h JRPG off a sale for the same money.

I'm also against spending 60€+ for a game that I know won't take at least 100 hours to complete. It can be a crazy game with all sorts of ~*AAA*~ graphics; if I'll be done with it within 40 hours, I'm not getting it.

Edited by Xillia
  • Like 1