Does game length matter to you?

awf9495

It matters to a certain extent. Like I'm going to be sceptical of a game that's only 4 hours long, but hey, maybe those will be the most enjoyable 4 hours of my life. Who knows? I wouldn't go so far to say a game needs to be at least X amount of hours long for me to consider purchasing it at full price. There's more to a game than length alone, although I do take it into consideration. That being said, I do enjoy longer experiences more, as long as it doesn't drag on. It's hard to compare a JRPG that lasts 100 hours to a AAA game that lasts 15 hours. A JRPG has a ton of content that's spread out, while your typical AAA game is a lot more dense and compact. They're very different experiences, and I enjoy them both.

I did find it kind of funny how much people were obsessing over the length of The Order 1886. I mean that game has far bigger problems than just its length. Would you really want to sit through another 10 hours of that crap? The short length is a blessing. xD

Yeah it matters to me. I prefer a game where I can sink my teeth in for 50+ hours, so I get my money's worth out of it. It's one of the reasons I like RPGs, those usually have lots of things to do and explore. Most also have optional postgame content. That doesn't mean a story mode of 10 hours and 40 hours of mindless grinding mind you.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

40 hours of content for AAA game is still pretty good actually =/

Not good enough. Seeing pores on people's faces doesn't do it for me.

It's not just the AAA games either, I'm mainly bothered by how everything on PS4 costs 60€ by default. Like, HDN and FFF are fun and all, but to me they're worth 40€ at best.

I did find it kind of funny how much people were obsessing over the length of The Order 1886. I mean that game has far bigger problems than just its length. Would you really want to sit through another 10 hours of that crap? The short length is a blessing. xD

I thought that game was OK. A little talky, maybe. That being said, I checked it out from the library, so I didn't mind the short plat time.

it's simple to me.

I pay full price then the game better worth it, in this case 30 or at least 20 Hours is OK to me.

games I love I usually hope they last a bit longer, as for games I hate I just wish they're shorter to end my sanity quick and to suffer less.

I never actually payed full price for a game before, especially digital ones. also some very short games do prove to be better that way as it provide more replay value and in some cases it's more fun been short.

It depends how much the game costed as well as if I enjoyed the game. I'd be very upset if I bought The Order: 1886 for £50 on release date to find out it was the boring and short shit that it was. I can live with some games being short, if I'm looking for a very easy plat or paid very little for the game in general. Sometimes you can extend the time you spend on a game by doing things that you want to challenge yourself with or enjoy, I've played Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for over 1000 hours and I still enjoy playing the missions with a good partner to this day.  

My favorites are big sandbox games like Elder Scrolls & Fallout where I can just go out and explore every little crevice & cranny.  But I also loved the time I spent in short but sweets like Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture & Journey; which could’ve been ruined by adding more content than necessary just for the sake of making a longer game.

For the most part, I really like larger games. I love getting into the world and its lore. But I also go in phases. Sometimes I want a big, immersive world and sometimes I just want something casual. Sometimes stretching a game out is more harmful in the long run.

It depends on the game for me. I like shorter games if the gameplay is fun and if I have any desire to play it over and over again. Longer games for me need to have fun gameplay and if it is storyline driven, they need to have a good storyline as well.

In short, I have no preference as to if the game is long or short. I pay more attention to the enjoyment of the content.

Edited by Max300frk

Nope. I have a respect for games that are 2-3 hours long. Nice little experiences, like a movie. It's refreshing since there are so many games that stretch itself out with beyond boring fetch quests in order to push the games "content" over 40 hours. When you remove all of that shit and the game is 15 hours... well... it's hard to not see what's going on.

Game length matters very little to me, as long as I'm having fun. 2 min or 200 hrs, who cares?! If a 100+ hrs game is 80% grind and I can make it fun, it works for me. :P

I don't really have set rules for price/length ratio. It depends on the whole feel of the game. Tho I wouldn't pay $60 for a 2 hrs long game.

Game length matters very little to me, as long as I'm having fun. 2 min or 200 hrs, who cares?! If a 100+ hrs game is 80% grind and I can make it fun, it works for me. :P

I don't really have set rules for price/length ratio. It depends on the whole feel of the game. Tho I wouldn't pay $60 for a 2 hrs long game.

There's no such thing as a $60 two hour long game.

With a full time job, a wife who doesn't game, etc, I find that I prefer shorter experiences these days. I mostly have to play games at night, so can grab 1-2 hours of gaming per day during the week, and maybe 3-5 hour sessions on the weekend. 

A game with a 8-20 hour campaign is going to give me time to complete it and get the plat before the next game hits.

A game with 150+ hours of content isn't going to hold my attention all the way through, and may well be consigned to the backlog. 

So yeah, I prefer shorter games these days. But not so short that you'd call them short, necessarily. 

Pretty much sums up my perspective, but add a few kids into the mix.

I would rather play 6 games, 10 hours each, than one 60 hour game. I like a variety, and typically find the longer games lose my interest.

The problem is, there are very few 50+ hour games. Most are 15-20 hours, then add a second playthrough, then 20 hours of repeating the same few side missions ad nauseum.

It gives the appearance of a longer game, more value, but really it is just more filler. I don't have a lot of interest in filler anymore.

Usually 30 hours is my max. I have made exceptions, but only for very specific games.

Price isn't a huge consideration. I have such a backlog, that I just don't often buy games at launch anymore. I do draw the line for digital only purchases though. I won't pay $20 for Firewatch (just an example), cause that's too much for a 2 hour game, that I'm not gonna play again and can't resell.

So, yes, length is important, but it is a double edged sword. I think the sweet spot is the 20-30 hour range for the most part.

• Like 1