Does game length matter to you?

awf9495

Personally no and here's why.

I'm always a generation behind in gaming so I tend to buy a console late. This is beneficial in that I save money on the console itself and I save money on buying games as they become $5-20 each. This means I can buy whatever I think will be good and not worry about getting my money's worth.

I would definitely love a short but amazing game with good gameplay and story over a long and tedious game. You know the usual quality over quantity cliché. However I also wouldn't mind playing a long but fun game which goes back to me buying games cheap that I don't have to worry about the price I bought it.

Now the only drawback with this is that usually the MP is dead so it'll be harder to boost unless a game is popular or I can find people here on psnprofiles to boost with.

I suspect length is important to us all, whether we prioritise it or not.   It's all relative and there are many variables, but a price point is an obvious start, albeit often a misleading one.  Quality of content, meaning anything from aesthetics to gameplay, also move that 'acceptable length' scale around, and genre very often defines the length of a game too.   There's no hard and fast rule as to the longevity of any given game, or type of game, but it certainly does matter.   

Play an RPG that lasts 10 hours (I know, borderline paradoxical) and we'd all likely feel ripped-off.   Play a TellTale game for 300+hrs and we'd all likely suffer an intervention and see out our days heavily medicated.   Switch the two around though...  If I was to set down some personal parameters for the length, or expected and acceptable longevity of any given game, I might say indies, concurrent with price points, could be anything from 2hrs+.  AAA titles I might usually expect 15hrs+, but beyond that it'd need to go on a game by game and genre basis.  

There are too many variables to consider to make even soft rules on longevity, whether that be anything above or what exactly constitutes that longevity?  Initial game length?; Replay value?; Mindless grind?; Frustrating trophies that require you to play a game several times...just because?   It's a bit of an elusive facet, length, but as I said, it does matter, quite a lot actually, it's just so reliant on many other facets of game composition and the subjectivity of us gamers, as in and of itself, length means nothing, but equally it's usually the spine that can make or break a game.

I usually like 8-10 hour experiences, hence why there are no RPG-Heavy games. I will start doing them but I do prefer the games which are one-sitting games or, as I said, 8-10 hours (a good CoD story and far Cry come to mind)

But don't take this the wrong way, I also like games like Grand theft Auto, The Last f Us and Uncharted which are 15-25 hour games in itself, and that's not accounting for difficulty.

Well for me i like short and long games but for myself i like it when there is a balance between the hours and trophies. For example i don't like it when you play a 100 hour game and you have all the trophies except 2 and they take 50 hours. That is no good thing for me. I like the balance between long and poppy and short end poppy!

n

Agree about quality over quantity. I would actually include FFX in the Golden Age (I remember how much fun I had re-engineering the sphere grid on PS2 before there was a trophy for it).  There are still games that I believe offer both quality and length - I put over 300 hours into Persona 4 between the PS2 and Vita and played The Witcher 3 for more than 2 months (soon to be more when I pick up Blood and Wine).  I'm not even sure that these experiences are fewer than they used to be, I think a big part of it is that there is just so much more to choose from now that it sometimes feels like it.

nerd

Length absolutely matters. I prefer story oriented games, so I want something that will last decently long with a decent story. One of the main reasons I didn't buy No Man's Sky, way too short. Trophies ratio doesn't matter to me, but the entertainment to the monetary value of the game does. There are only a handful of games i have played and said "Yeah, that was worth the full price." I don't want a game i can beat in 8 hours I need something that is 15 hours at least. 

Godzilla lasts exactly 1 hour, and you have to replay that same 1 hour over and over and over and over in order to unlock everything. It cost $60 on launch.

Your move.

The trigger words here are "on launch". You kinda shot yourself in the foot with that statement.

Length absolutely matters. I prefer story oriented games, so I want something that will last decently long with a decent story. One of the main reasons I didn't buy No Man's Sky, way too short. Trophies ratio doesn't matter to me, but the entertainment to the monetary value of the game does. There are only a handful of games i have played and said "Yeah, that was worth the full price." I don't want a game i can beat in 8 hours I need something that is 15 hours at least. 

Because you can't enjoy something unless it never ends? I will never understand this mentality.

If a developer can only make a short but enjoyable game, I'll still put money down. I don't think legenth really matters unless the developers are trying to hide something. I enjoyed The Order for what it was but the lack of freedom did disapoint me.

The trigger words here are "on launch". You kinda shot yourself in the foot with that statement.

Aren't most people going to buy the game on launch, how would anyone be able to tell that the game only lasts an hour considering Godzilla is very niche?

Edited by FlareXV

If a developer can only make a short but enjoyable game, I'll still put money down. I don't think legenth really matters unless the developers are trying to hide something. I enjoyed The Order for what it was but the lack of freedom did disapoint me.

Aren't most people going to buy the game on launch, how would anyone be able to tell that the game only lasts an hour considering Godzilla is very niche?

By not buying it at launch and waiting to see feedback on a perspective game. Like I'd know, I never have played a Godzilla game, nor will I ever, so its price tag or how good/bad it is has no effect on me whatsoever.

By not buying it at launch and waiting to see feedback on a perspective game. Like I'd know, I never have played a Godzilla game, nor will I ever, so its price tag or how good/bad it is has no effect on me whatsoever.

I wish I got the chance to wait for feedback on the game, lucky it only costed £15($26) around my area at launch, so nothing lost nothing gained.

Game length somewhat matters to me, and I'm talking length minus all cutscenes and dialogue, as I generally just skip that.

I can take longer games (seeing as I play in long sessions) and short games are fine, but I prefer something in between, not +100 hour games (because generally everything in those kinds of games is more spread out, and I take my time with games so when nothing important happens for hours my intrest disappears), but something more 30-40 hours would be optimal as I can take my time, and still have interesting shit happening.

No, because length has absolutely nothing to do with how good a game is, i.e. I don't care about the "hours of entertainment to cost ratio", because I don't measure entertainment in time, this is not a service I'm purchasing (unless it's an MMO), it's goods, sometimes even works of art. I'll take an 8 hour long masterpiece over an 80 hour long turd any day.