Does game length matter to you?

awf9495

i.e. I don't care about the "hours of entertainment to cost ratio"

I wish cost wasn't a factor for me and I could just buy everything that interested me, but I do have to factor in the game length to cost ratio so I don't run out of new stuff to play before I run out of money allotted for games.

I don't really care, as long as I enjoy the game. There might be some parts where you have to beat the game on a specific difficulty, when the game actually has more than 20 Chapters/Missions/Levels (or whatever they're called). I'm not that kind of a lazy Trophy Hunter, who only likes easy trophies or trophies that require no effort. I can handle grindy trophies if they were set to be earn.

That's how it is, to me B)

Game length matters as long as I feel I got my money's worth. If I pay $60 for a game, even if it was one of the best games I played in the last 10 years I'm going to be really miffed if it only lasts 45 mins. In this scenario I determined that if I'm going to pay a premium price for a game then I expect a premium, lasting experience. It's entirely in the eye of the beholder though.

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

I really like long games for some reason, Pokémon Platinum, Xenoblade Chronicles, Donkey Kong 64, Batman Arkham Knight, there's so much to do! I guess I don't really care about the length of it as much as what they have you do, especially in collect-a-thons. Sonic Adventure 1, 2, '06 and Generations,if you want all those emblems it's gonna be a long ride. Rayman Legends, too, if you're going for those Teensies. But those games had fun challenges,even if it's not the main task.If I really enjoy a collect-a-thon I'm gonna 100% it eventually.

Whew sorry for the tangent. So no I don't think length matters, as long as there's interesting stuff to do.

I like both long and short games.  What I dislike is trophies that obviously are padding game time by needing a bunch of grinding and hunting for stuff that adds nothing to the game and requires doing tasks far beyond the game's scope, like maxing out level, killing tons of enemies, maxing out a bunch of stuff that you don't need, etc.   Extra content is great, but it should add to the overall game experience.

I saw someone posted a video for platinuming Jazzpunk in 45 minutes, so I checked out some Steam threads to see about how long a normal playthrough would take.  I find it interesting that many bring up quality when discussing the length of a game.  Quality and quantity aren't mutually exclusive.  There was a scenario earlier where someone stated they would rather play an 8 hour masterpiece than an 80 hour pile of crap.  I think the more interesting scenario is determining whether you would rather play an 8 hour masterpiece or an 80 hour masterpiece.  Given a price of $60, does it matter at all to you that one game is costing you $7.50 per hour of entertainment while the other is 75 cents?

• Like 1

I saw someone posted a video for platinuming Jazzpunk in 45 minutes, so I checked out some Steam threads to see about how long a normal playthrough would take.  I find it interesting that many bring up quality when discussing the length of a game.  Quality and quantity aren't mutually exclusive.  There was a scenario earlier where someone stated they would rather play an 8 hour masterpiece than an 80 hour pile of crap.  I think the more interesting scenario is determining whether you would rather play an 8 hour masterpiece or an 80 hour masterpiece.  Given a price of $60, does it matter at all to you that one game is costing you $7.50 per hour of entertainment while the other is 75 cents?

I like your take on that. At that point imo it comes down to the preference of the genre, gameplay, story, etc. And how it resonates with that specific person, as no one experiences the same game "mentally" the same imo.

• Like 1

Depends on my mood, and what other things are currently going on in my life, above all else. When life gets busy, I tend to prefer sticking to shorter games instead of investing in 50+ hour long RPGs or such. Even when there's not much going on, I always have a hard time getting into long games, because I know it's going to be a big, long investment to complete them, and I'd rather complete 3-4+ 5-20 hour long games a month, rather than just play a single 50+ hour long game for a month or more.

It also depends on how interested in a series I am, I'd be more likely to start a Bethesda or Witcher game for example on launch day, then I'd be inclined to start a JRPG from a series I've never played before.

Edited by SuperSmexy500