PS3 RTS...anybody want a piece?

PSXtreme_

Stormrise.JPG

Experience the heat of the battlefield by leading your troops from the front line, instead of the traditional way of controlling the units from a detached view point. Stormrise also allows units to be commanded in the air, across rooftops, on the earth’s surface and even underground, this unique idea of "verticality" introduces multiple layers of gameplay that must be mastered for strategic advantage. The experience is heightened by a simple yet effective control system tailored specifically for consoles, which allows easy unit selection, rapid navigation and precise deployment.

Release Date: March 24, 2009

MSRP: 59.99 USD

M for Mature: Mild Blood, Strong Language, Violence

Genre: Real-Time Strategy

Publisher: SEGA

Developer: Creative Assembly

OK...I gave this one a brief touch and I must say it's going to take some getting used to if there is to be any real progression. The game puts a new perspective on the RTS genre...instead of the top-down view where you can overlook the battlefield, this game gives you the battle via a 3rd-person aspect and has you "flicking" around to the various units to control them.

Not sure if this will work or not...IGN didn't think so...it gave the game a 4.9 score. Will have to give it more time to find out...but the price was right for experimentation...$4.99 used @ GameStop. icon_e_wink.gif

Stormrise.JPG

Experience the heat of the battlefield by leading your troops from the front line, instead of the traditional way of controlling the units from a detached view point. Stormrise also allows units to be commanded in the air, across rooftops, on the earth’s surface and even underground, this unique idea of "verticality" introduces multiple layers of gameplay that must be mastered for strategic advantage. The experience is heightened by a simple yet effective control system tailored specifically for consoles, which allows easy unit selection, rapid navigation and precise deployment.

Release Date: March 24, 2009

MSRP: 59.99 USD

M for Mature: Mild Blood, Strong Language, Violence

Genre: Real-Time Strategy

Publisher: SEGA

Developer: Creative Assembly

OK...I gave this one a brief touch and I must say it's going to take some getting used to if there is to be any real progression. The game puts a new perspective on the RTS genre...instead of the top-down view where you can overlook the battlefield, this game gives you the battle via a 3rd-person aspect and has you "flicking" around to the various units to control them.

Not sure if this will work or not...IGN didn't think so...it gave the game a 4.9 score. Will have to give it more time to find out...but the price was right for experimentation...$4.99 used @ GameStop. icon_e_wink.gif

It seems that the "3rd person flick" is like the RTS game "Tom Clancy's Endwar". Also, Endwar's trophy is IMPSOSSIBLE to get.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that the "3rd person flick" is like the RTS game "Tom Clancy's Endwar". Also, Endwar's trophy is IMPSOSSIBLE to get.

When I upgrade the HDD, I have to install that one also to the system. Right now it's sitting over on the shelf patiently waiting its turn...I just don't have enough space available at the moment. But if the playstyles are similar, I'm either going to get a better idea on how this new RTS system works or learn to hate it with a passion.

As for the Trophies...that doesn't concern me in the least.

Edited by PSXtreme_
  • Like 1

• 11 years later...

This game is severely underrated. I had a blast playing it. 

I only found out about it because I saw it in my favourite game shop (which is like a Cash Converter but the store is immaculate and the retro gaming section looks like a museum). I'd never heard of it so bought a copy and am so glad I did. This game is exceedingly comfy, even if it can be quite annoying at times. If you have two PS3s you should buy two copies and self-boost the multiplayer. It's a bit of a grind but what I did was set everything up to win (takes a minute) do a chore, come back set it up again and keep doing that for a few of hours over two days. I cleaned my house and got the 99 wins with no issues. 😂

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:52 AM, Floorkiller74 said:

11 year necro, impressive. 

One of the online ach's glitched on me and wouldn't pop. Good times. 

Sorry to hear that you had issues. I'm very certain this game is peer to peer (I know it has leaderboards but so does Enemy Front that I just completed, which is also P2P. I doubt the Stormrise ones are accurate in any way either), so maybe if you deleted your save file and tried again it would be worth a shot?

I have run popular forums/fora in the past and there is no such thing as "necroing". These are threads that already exist, my post is on topic and there is no point creating a new one for a comment like mine. People are still playing the game. Furthermore, if a forum (or forum-like site such as reddit) is top of Google for a particularly niche topic, why shouldn't people be able to contribute to it further? The thing about forums is that if if they get ranked on search engines, or are on sites like these, they will get far more people reading them over time than the original contributors could ever know.

So no, necroing is a ridiculous concept and I really don't understand why people have that attitude. Information is information. My intention is to say: I never heard of this game until a few weeks ago, it's fantastic and people who are curious about it should give it a go.

The overarching point is that people, who are alive today (people like me for example) are still reading these threads. No-one cares how long ago they were made unless the information in them is out of date. 

I have run into morons on reddit who literally exhibit baby-like behaviour: if I can't see something, it doesn't exist. Like the PS5 owners who swear blind that the PS4 is dead because they don't own a PS4. Despite the tens of millions of people who play PS4 every week. If they can't experience it personally, it doesn't exist. Just like a baby. Those are the kinds of people who push this "necro" thing. They don't understand anything despite having the sum of all human knowledge at their fingertips. I am confident you are better than that.  

If this was a current-events website, then maybe you would have a case. But this is a very niche site about trophy hunting and gaming in general where people are playing "old" games. Eleven years isn't "old" for a game, there are plenty of people who play PS2 games for a hobby and even older games/platforms. Should we stop watching/reading and discussing old movies and books as well?

Is that a good thing in your eyes? What should be a mandatory period of time on this site before a topic is locked forever in your opinion? How did I personally upset or offend you by posting my previous comment exactly and why do you care? What impact did my "necro" have on your life? [These are Socratic questions, not trying-to-start-a-fight questions]

I'm not having a go at you at all, it's just that this is a concept that really annoys me on many levels. It's against all the principles the Internet was built on before large corporations took everything over: it's anti-intellectual, anti-social, anti-informational and anti-collaborational. None of those things are good.

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

Snip

Dude...chill out. You are reading way too much into my comment. I agree, use a thread that is already there instead of cluttering the board with a new one. It still a term that refers to reviving an old thread. In no way did I present it as a criticism, or convey that I was "upset or offended". I prefer people "necro" than create a new thread. OK?