So my PS3 looks like its YLODing

Superbuu3

Do I wait for it to break completely before I try a fix?

Is there anything I can do to elongate its life?

I already bought a super slim so its not the end of the world. Annoyingly though it has an american account I don't remember the details on, so getting it to live a little longer is handy.

Basically every now and again it just does the blinking red light thing (3 times total seperated by quite some time). That said ive played it loads of time and its still not turned off once while i've been playing or if I've left it on for ages. So is this YLOD or something else. Ive had my suspicions that the HDD is crapped out on it a few times. As Ive had disc read errors, for certain games over ages and rebuilding the database would usuall fix it.

To get it running again, use the hair dryer trick. Check out Youtube for details. Back up you saves, figure out you account details, then pull the hard drive and sell it as-is. It's not worth any amount of money or time to keep these running these days.

The hairdryer worked for me to recover my saves but don't expect it to last very long afterwards.

Thanks guys. I'm backing up my saves and will just assume its going to die and start deactivating accounts etc.

Gonna see if I have a spare HDD around and see if the problems related to that. As I know I have been having bad sectors on that drive for ages.

Thanks guys. I'm backing up my saves and will just assume its going to die and start deactivating accounts etc.

Gonna see if I have a spare HDD around and see if the problems related to that. As I know I have been having bad sectors on that drive for ages.

Maybe get some better thermal paste and look at a youtube video on how to install it. That is the main reason PS3's YOLD anyways. Cheap thermal paste that cracked and dried up.

• Like 1

Maybe get some better thermal paste and look at a youtube video on how to install it. That is the main reason PS3's YOLD anyways. Cheap thermal paste that cracked and dried up.

Well if the hard drive thing doesn't fix it I'll try. I admit part of me just wants to open it up to see if I can fix it, been curious what a PS3 looks like on the inside but didn't want to open one that was working. I mean if I can make it work for a while I'll just let my nephew use it. He's got a ps4 but he has a bunch of PS3 games because of plus.

Well if the hard drive thing doesn't fix it I'll try. I admit part of me just wants to open it up to see if I can fix it, been curious what a PS3 looks like on the inside but didn't want to open one that was working. I mean if I can make it work for a while I'll just let my nephew use it. He's got a ps4 but he has a bunch of PS3 games because of plus.

What model is it?

What model is it?

120GB Slim, its the first set of slims, and been alive for 7 years. I've put an insane amount of gaming in on it. As I only got the other PS3 a few months back.

Honestly it started acting up like 3 years ago with disc and HDD errors so I'm suprised it lasted this long.

Taking apart a PS3 isn't that hard (the older model anyways, not sure about the Slim version), I definitely recommend watching a video beforehand though.

I think it was last year I opened mine up to clean it for the first time (had it since 2008), the amount of dust I got out of the thing was amazing, I'm surprised it didn't burn up before that. xD

• Like 1

My first PS3 YLOD'd as well - I was gutted as I didn't have enough spare cash at the time to get it repaired or buy a new one.  After a few weeks though, I got it repaired and it worked long enough for me to recover all my save data from it, so I could keep going on the slim PS3 I eventually bought to replace it.

Hopefully you can salvage your data too.

The Slim's never really had issues with the cpu/gpu unseating. (Main cause of phat PS3's YLODing)

It's sounds like your fan is not working to capacity. Or your thermal paste has dried beyond use.

If it were going to yellow, it would have by now.

lost my 60gig Day one release fat boy to the ylod but did manage to use the hairdryer trick to get on and mop up anything not saved...did not last long on the fix though

its a horrible day.. feel for you

glad you got a back up machine..

I made sure I had a spare ps3 after that too

hope you don't lose too much data

The Slim's never really had issues with the cpu/gpu unseating. (Main cause of phat PS3's YLODing)

It's sounds like your fan is not working to capacity. Or your thermal paste has dried beyond use.

If it were going to yellow, it would have by now.

How would i differentiate between the two?

I thought the slim was immune to this. Now you've got me all paranoid.  :(

I have the first model slim which has the large chipset, I googled and saw that its the 120GB. So either its not at all because slims don't do that or it is happening because I had an early model Slim.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the random powering off followed by the blinking red light thing on my original PS3 as well. I've had my fat PS3 since 2008, it actually still works (I thought it had pretty much died back in May, got a super slim as a replacement, which ironically just abruptly died completely on me a few days ago. Managed to return it and get a replacement though, since it was still brand new and I'd had it for just 5 months).

Anyhow, I'd recommend only opening it up once it's died completely, as tampering it with could potentially cause more problems; static in your hands possibly frying something and all that, it's unlikely, but I recommend only opening up your PS3 when you really have to.

I'm sure you've done so already, but make sure you back up all your saves before it kicks the bucket completely.

• 3 weeks later...

i got my ps3 superslim december 2012, and my ps3 is still working today perfect

How would i differentiate between the two?

I have the first model slim which has the large chipset, I googled and saw that its the 120GB. So either its not at all because slims don't do that or it is happening because I had an early model Slim.

i remember that many people had problems with superslim when it was released