CD Projekt Red says "no" to PS4 Pro

StrickenBiged

Source: Eurogamer.

"Since we want to fully focus on Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent, and converting The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt from a full HD game into a 4K one would be too much of a time and resource-consuming process, we decided not to release an edition of Wild Hunt supporting the new features of PlayStation Pro,"

Disappointing, for those of us who were interested in the Pro and wanted to see The Witcher 3 in (upscaled) 4k/HDR glory.

Still, at least the extra horsepower Pro should help the game to stick to its 30fps target, especially around that bog.

Perhaps it sets a worrying precedent. If CDPR - who have earned a reputation for being really cool to their customers and going above and beyond to make their games great - can't be bothered to patch the game to take advantage of the PS4 pro, what hope do we have of a patch from other, less pro-consumer, dev teams and publishers?

Good to hear they won't be wasting any more time on a game that is perfectly fine. I mean, if performance was so important to me, I'd be playing games on a PC.

This post pretty much says everything I wanted to say on the matter.

Edited by Hifumi Takimoto
  • Like 4

I for one are not hellbent on spending another 400$ on an upgraded system.

Neither am I. 

If they had said "Current games will be patched to run at 1080p/60fps", I'd be at the front of the line. 

Sony seems to be pushing 4k though, which is of no interest to me without a 4k TV. 

So I'm going to wait and see what actually happens for people like me once the thing comes out. 

• Like 3

Perhaps it sets a worrying precedent. If CDPR - who have earned a reputation for being really cool to their customers and going above and beyond to make their games great - can't be bothered to patch the game to take advantage of the PS4 pro, what hope do we have of a patch from other, less pro-consumer, dev teams and publishers?

I think we will be seeing a lot of this. As I understand it, the devs have to pay for patches (I heard 10k/patch, but don't know if that's true). There was also a thread recently about the possibility of charging for the 4k patches, and it seemed that the answer was no (most users thought that charging would be unpalatable).

So, I would ask the question - why would a studio take time, take resources away from other projects, and incur the cost associated with these updates, for no financial compensation?

• Like 3

They support their customers. They're just not supporting the extremely limited customers that have a 4k HDTV. You are aware barely anyone owns or even wants a 4k HDTV, right?

Good to hear they won't be wasting any more time on a game that is perfectly fine. I mean, if performance was so important to me, I'd be playing games on a PC.

Can't wait for Cyberpunk.

Running below even 30fps isn't perfectly fine. Poor performance causes issues with the game, not just visually, but gameplay wise. If a game has a poor framerate, it results in input lag, and makes playing a game more difficult than intended, and not in a good way. It causes issues with actually playing the game. That's not "perfectly fine".

Edited by Princess Jennifer

Lol your title makes it seem like they don't want the Pro or dislikes it which is not the case at all and makes it seem a little click batey. ;)

However, I do think this is for the best. I will probably buy the Pro as I can afford it, but I don't really want developers to but time into older games. Sucker Punch should focus more on their future projects for example. However a game like Infamous takes quite less time than a massive game like Witcher 3.

Honestly W3 already looks amazing and I think it plays amazing to. I have around 35 hours and I haven't encountered any lag or not really anything visually bad. So I think its fine anyways. :P

I'd rather they fix glitches before they worry about 4k. Like multiple copies of the same merchant simultaneously occupying the same point in space. Or when merchants won't sell shit to you no matter how many times you repeat the "Let me take a look at your stock" conversation option. Or when merchants won't speak to you at all, even if it's the middle of the day when they should be open. Or when Geralt inexplicably decides to walk on his own, free of any input from my controller.

I'd rather they fix glitches before they worry about 4k. Like multiple copies of the same merchant simultaneously occupying the same point in space. Or when merchants won't sell shit to you no matter how many times you repeat the "Let me take a look at your stock" conversation option. Or when merchants won't speak to you at all, even if it's the middle of the day when they should be open. Or when Geralt inexplicably decides to walk on his own, free of any input from my controller.

And the annoying loose controls, Geralt dropping dead at full health from a level 1 enemy's single weak attack, the clearly bias hit detection where your attacks often miss at point blank and enemies can hit you at 6 feet away, the laggy menus...

• Like 1

This is pretty surprising. CD Projekt Red were one of the first developers I thought of when I heard it was possible to go back and patch Pro compatibility into old games. I mean they're known to go back and improve their old games already, often for free with the enhanced editions of the Witcher games.

As other have said, if even CD Projeckt Red aren't interested in taking advantage of the Pro's features, there's not much hope of other devs doing it. And why would they? It's time and money that could be spent elsewhere, and they wouldn't even benefit from it. They can't charge for the update after all, and I doubt it's going to push sales enough to be worth it. We know Sony are going back to games like Infamous First Light, but who actually cares? I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going back to games I finished long ago just for some shinier graphics.

This is just more proof that the Pro is unneeded and only serves to complicate things. We didn't ask for this, the devs certainly didn't ask for it, so why even do it? The PS4 doesn't need this. It was doing perfectly fine on its own.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3

They support their customers. They're just not supporting the extremely limited customers that have a 4k HDTV. You are aware barely anyone owns or even wants a 4k HDTV, right?

Well, I don't know how representative I am, but I'd get one if they were cheaper because the picture is quite amazing when you see them in stores. 

You'd have thought Sony would be enticing devs to patch these games - dropping any certification fees, etc.

My point is that, for those people planning a Pro-purchase and expecting patches so that they can make the most of it, maybe they should check their expectations.