Which is better, Vita original or Vita slim

AbleArcher97

PS Vita original vs PS Vita slim  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, the original Vita or the Vita slim?

I believe there are way more colors than just black and white. If I recall correct, Sony even created blue, yellow, green and pink PS Vita systems. I personally prefer black though so I don't know much about those other colors.

EDIT: At least six colors it seems:

those colored variations of the slim vita never seemed to sell outside of Japan. this really shows how much more treatment Japan gets with the vita compared to the US and EU regions.  :(  :(  :(

here's some pictures of the colored variations if anyone is interested...

there are 6 color variations of the slim vita. the colors are white, black, light blue, lime green, pink, and khaki.

New-PS-Vita1-640x360.png

vita.jpg

Edited by Skeptical69

those colored variations of the slim vita never seemed to sell outside of Japan. this really shows how much more treatment Japan gets with the vita compared to the US and EU regions.  :(  :(  :(

here's some pictures of the colored variations if anyone is interested...

there are 6 color variations of the slim vita. the colors are white, black, light blue, lime green, pink, and khaki.

New-PS-Vita1-640x360.png

vita.jpg

I know that gamestop has the light blue vita 2000s, but that is the only other color I've seen besides black and white in the US.

I know that gamestop has the light blue vita 2000s, but that is the only other color I've seen besides black and white in the US.

thanks for pointing that out! guess i should've checked just in case before i posted it.  :P although i did read from Wikipedia that the Black was the only sold in US and EU, although not everything you read on there is exactly true. at least some of it is, not all of it...

I personally love my original one. I work at GameStop so I handle these systems a lot for trades and when customers have no idea what they're doing(all the time), but every single time I hold the slim, I feel like I could easily snap the system in half. At times when I'm playing I get pretty into my games and start gripping the vita a little tighter, I don't strangle my system lmao.. but, just how the slim feels.. I just hate it. Maybe it's just because if you've physically held both, you'll go more towards the original one just because if you compared these side by side and put the weight, size, screen, etc. in factor.. the original seems more durable &favorable. The only issue I have with mine right now and I've had it since December 2012, is that my triggers are slowly going.. I mean, I've had this system for almost four years, plus as I described my play style.. especially when playing rhythm games (god damn Hatsune Miku &Taiko Drum Master).. that's the only reason they're slightly getting jammed :P

But I mean, as long as you take care of anything, it should be fine.

Original Pros: OLED, better buttons visually (select, start, PS), extra port for nothing~ :P
Original Cons: Proprietary charge cable, PS light you can't disable fully, not very easy to push start and select

Slim Pros: Internal Memory*, no proprietary charge cable, buttons are easier to push (select, start), no PS light to annoy you,

Slim Cons: *Internal Memory is inaccessible with a memory card installed, the frame of the screen is a hideous waste of space, ugly buttons (select, start, PS), LCD screen

I think both are flawed. Overall I like the design of the Slim more, but the screen frame ruins the entire thing. I really like the simplicity of the rear touch pad being just the PS logo, instead of a bunch of the face button symbols. If not for the fact the screen frame was black I'd have bought a 2000 just for a colored one. I could get over the analogs being black and ugly against a pretty color, but not that stupid thing around the screen. That's too much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The differences that standout the most is that  Vita 1k has an OLED screen while the 2k Vita has an LCD screen. both have their pros and cons.
The OLED screen is brighter and has better colours while the LCD screen has lower power consumption. Also (from personal experience) if you drop the Vita and having bad luck - damage the screen, the LCD screen will most likely be operational even if part ofit is broken , while even the slightest damage on the OLED screen will spread thought the entire surface of the screen in a matter of few hours.
The 2k model has 1 Gb built in memory. It's not enough to download majority of PSN games , but should be sufficient for storing save data of your physical games ... BUT ... as soon as you put a Vita memory card in - that 1 GB of memory becomes completely unusable.
Vita  2kdoes not have a 3g+ wifi option. This is not a major drawback because even the 1k model has some limitations on the 3g connectivity ... namely - it can NOT be used for  online gameplay. All (or most) other internet applications should work on 3g connection.
Conclusion:
It does not really matter which PS Vita model you choose because in the end you  will have to sell a kidney to order a 64GB memory card from Japan.

Beyond just the hardware differences, you also have to mention that every new hardware accessory is meant for the slim and not for the original.

Also, every new limited edition Vita is slim. Talking about White Vitas:

http://pur.store.sony.jp/psvita/products/psvita_ss_original/PCH-2000ZA_FT_purchase/

Edited by bladesoframen

It does not really matter which PS Vita model you choose because in the end you  will have to sell a kidney to order a 64GB memory card from Japan.

Nah, not really. You can live on 8/16GB one and you are more than set with 32GB.

I never understood the need for 64GBs. You can just delete the game after you finish it and you don't need 64GB worth of space :D

• Like 1

2) the volume on the slim is very compared to the fat one

Very what?

Also, the other thing not yet mentioned in this thread that may be worth considering depending on how you want to use your Vita is that the 2000 is Wi-Fi only, whereas the 1000 has 3G support, which will require a SIM card and an extra phone plan I guess. If you want to use Near or have multi-player support on the go with the 2000 you will need a portable Wi-Fi hotspot (not much of a drawback to anyone who also owns a mobile phone).

Edited by IronMask75

Very what?

Also, the other thing not yet mentioned in this thread that may be worth considering depending on how you want to use your Vita is that the 2000 is Wi-Fi only, whereas the 1000 has 3G support, which will require a SIM card and an extra phone plan I guess. If you want to use Near or have multi-player support on the go with the 2000 you will need a portable Wi-Fi hotspot (not much of a drawback to anyone who also owns a mobile phone).

Oh sorry, I find its not as loud on the slim as it is on the fat one.

Oh sorry, I find its not as loud on the slim as it is on the fat one.

Is it the AVLS (Automatic Volume Levelling System)? That's one thing that annoys the piss out of me with my Slim. You can't use full volume because AVLS stops you from turning it up past about 75%. You can only temporarily disable the AVLS for 20 hours (of actual playtime) but then it turns itself back on again.

While the AVLS doesn't seem to be a problem when using the Vita speakers, it is far too quiet with earphones plugged in and also if you use a 3.5mm stereo cable to push output to a home theatre receiver the output volume is again too low.

Is it the AVLS (Automatic Volume Levelling System)? That's one thing that annoys the piss out of me with my Slim. You can't use full volume because AVLS stops you from turning it up past about 75%. You can only temporarily disable the AVLS for 20 hours (of actual playtime) but then it turns itself back on again.

While the AVLS doesn't seem to be a problem when using the Vita speakers, it is far too quiet with earphones plugged in and also if you use a 3.5mm stereo cable to push output to a home theatre receiver the output volume is again too low.

Yes if you try to go higher than midway AVLS appears on the screen and stops you, very annoying indeed and if your playing with headphones its not great either.

After trying a friends slim I invested in a white and black original despite the prices. I wasn't going to risk the slim being my only option should my launch Vita die. I use the white one with a 32GB card for my physical/retail games, the launch black one with a 64GB card for digital games and the second black one is resting in a protective case should the sad day ever come that I need a backup for a dead Vita.

I never understood the need for 64GBs. You can just delete the game after you finish it and you don't need 64GB worth of space :D

But what about if you get stranded on a desert island with just your Vita? You'd be very happy you kept all of your games on one memory card then. These are the very real possibilities you need to consider. :awesome:

And I dunno... It's nice knowing all of your games are there waiting to be played, even if you have no intention of doing so. What about if Sony decides to pull the plug on Vita's PSN? No more downloading games for you. :P

• Like 1

But what about if you get stranded on a desert island with just your Vita? You'd be very happy you kept all of your games on one memory card then. These are the very real possibilities you need to consider. :awesome:

And I dunno... It's nice knowing all of your games are there waiting to be played, even if you have no intention of doing so. What about if Sony decides to pull the plug on Vita's PSN? No more downloading games for you. :P

Then I will live on my collection of physical games :awesome:

• Like 1

My vote goes to the original Vita. It is such a beautiful thing. I like its weight and shape; it sits in my hands better than the very light and fragile feeling slim version. Also, I really prefer the OLED screen over the LCD one.

Because Vita is definitely my favourite handheld console, I bought a second original Vita when they stopped making them. Need to have another one waiting for me once my old boy dies!

And that's why i have them all saved on My Pc anyway with my 8 Gb Memory :awesome: