PSN PLUS October free games are here

DF007gamer

Those books are the closest thing I can relate to VN's apart from 90's interactive cd's. I also really liked them as a kid, good times.

Anyone tried Transformers yet? Haven't played it and only have one friend that bought it.

I played it about two, three months ago. I just played through it once and then I traded it on again, so it's good that I get it on PS+ now even though it will be a year or two before I replay it.

If you're a completionist then you're in for a world of hurt with the many replays you'll have to do and the damageless bossfights on an insane difficulty.

If you're not a completionist, it's a fun game that takes after the old cartoons and does not last too long. It might have been overpriced at the start for what you get out of it, but it's a great game if you get it for free. I really enjoyed my one playthrough.

Yeah, I'm old. I was still young enough at that time though to need translated books instead of the original English, which I started on in my mid to late teens.

Can I get some advice from someone who is a fan of VNs. Which would be the better intoduction to the genre for a newbie, code realize or Amnesia from last month?

I've heard a lot of people on this site who play the genre often say that Code is the better one.

Can I get some advice from someone who is a fan of VNs. Which would be the better intoduction to the genre for a newbie, code realize or Amnesia from last month?

I've only played like 3 VNs, but Amnesia was very meh. I hear Code Realize is much better, so try that. The best thing would be to play Steins;Gate though, that one is amazing.

I'm probably the only outlier but I cant see the appeal behind this month's free games, especially the mediocre ps3 games.. I know Sony can't please everyone and they try to appeal the masses but guess it just ain't my month.

Also not a fan of resident evil due to zombies( don't like zombies and as if we need any more zombie games) as well as whenever I dive into a series I get compelled to play the whole series after( which ive got no time for resident evil). For transformers, I was never really a fan of the genre( the movie was alright though). Still, doesn't look appealing, but that's just me.

Hope y'all enjoy them though :), and perhaps November's will be great( to me of course :P)

Not quite as depressing as it is infuriating, especially if you're a person who has fought for some control over your own depression, because you can see how the character can better his own lot but he does nothing about it. You can't make him do anything, there's no choice you can make for him, nothing that can stop the inevitable conclusion to the story. All you can do is advance the text to the end. If you had your own problems with depression, the game might make you wonder if that's how you came off to the people who were trying to help you.

I hear you. I actually really enjoyed the game when I played it this Spring... In so much as this sort of thing can be "enjoyed". I can see where you would walk away with that response but depression isn't one size fits all and some people's experiences are in fact of the sort where bettering themselves, even easily and in the most obvious ways, is a bridge too far. I think it forcing you to see the story in the way that it does (just advancing the story, no opportunity to change anything) is decidedly deliberate. A different experience from that of your own it seems, but still totally valid and totally realistic.

Already got Resident Evil, and I'm not too interested in the other games with the exceptions of From Dust, and Actual Sunlight which I've already completed last night. I remember playing the demo/trial for From Dust quite a few years ago, seemed interesting, reminded me a bit of Black and White (the old PC game). It didn't really interest me enough to warrant a purchase though, so I'm glad it's finally been made free for now.

The "choose your own adventure" book genre begs to differ.

om_advbooks.jpg

I actually have the first four of these myself, really liked them as a kid (I think that's the only four that have been translated and sold in Holland). The picture is just grabbed from the internet though.

Well in a way, they are a kind of game, no? I was just talking about your traditional kind of book.

I won't allow people to besmirch VNs! I am their new champion!!!  :angry:

Wohoo.

I'm probably the only outlier but I cant see the appeal behind this month's free games, especially the mediocre ps3 games.. I know Sony can't please everyone and they try to appeal the masses but guess it just ain't my month.

Because we see Code:Realize :D

Everything else is relevant =D

But since you don't have Vita, I can see you being pretty disappointed. Especially as a PS3-only owner.

Wohoo.

Because we see Code:Realize :D

Everything else is relevant =D

But since you don't have Vita, I can see you being pretty disappointed. Especially as a PS3-only owner.

oh yea definitely :). I mean even for ps4 which I'm getting there's nothing appealing at least to me. You may know this but I can add the games to my list and download them when I get a ps4( hoping for Christmas deals). But yeah, idk if you've ever dreamed of a game that's on your backlog and it came to PS plus. Feels like a miracle huh.;)

I own thousands of games, it was 1 Am, many take a while to get started so I have doubts that the intelligence of an amoeba is relevant in this situation. "Also, what exactly defines an "actual game"? :/" In case you haven't checked, this is a visual novel.

In case you didn't realize, you need a gaming console (in this particular case, a handheld, which still falls into the category of a console, I'm afraid to inform you) in order to play this visual novel. 

Just because it's not YOUR kind of game, doesn't mean it falls under the category of "not an actual game". The most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, FYI.

Yeah I'm not falling for this, if it's a game for you fine. It's reading a book for me, I wrote this using Microsoft Word on a computer, how is that not a game?

Ok.

And what book out there allows you the ability to pick and choose what you want to happen? And then the story adjusts itself accordingly to those choices. We see choices and how they impact the story in ACTUAL GAMES quite a lot in today's day and age. In literature, it isn't possible. And that is because the book is already written by the time the reader is enjoying it. In visual novels, of fucking course you can change the story as you're experiencing it. It's an interactive VIDEO GAME. It's the pinnacle of the experience, because it is in fact an "actual game". 

Your opinion on the subject couldn't be more ignorant. It's not that you don't like it, I couldn't care less about that. It's that you completely dismiss the genre because you think it's as obtuse as simply reading a book. And I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't do too much of that in your spare time, considering you think a visual novel is the same thing as a book. As I just explained, they are different mediums entirely. Like audio books are different from just reading on your own. Obviously a pretty brazen example considering that five people could play the same visual novel on their initial playthrough, and experience different scenarios and end up with different endings. So... yeah. 

I've only played like 3 VNs, but Amnesia was very meh. I hear Code Realize is much better, so try that. The best thing would be to play Steins;Gate though, that one is amazing.

I wish I could contract Amnesia just to forget about that stupid turd game. Fucking god awful, hated every second of it.

Code Realize, on the other hand, was extremely enjoyable. I loved it so much.

Steins;Gate though is just on another level entirely. It's one of the best games I've ever played, in my 20+ years of gaming. Simply calling it the best visual novel is selling it short. It's one of the best last generation experiences out there. I really do pray to Satan that Steins;Gate 0 will provide us a PS4 port of the original game, just because owning it on three different platforms isn't enough for me.

It's a damn shame there's a lot of people that hate Japanese voices. If you don't have an open mind regarding that, of course you won't be able to enjoy S;G. The voice acting in that is god-tier.

Edited by Valyrious

Yeah, sure, ok.

On another note, I did try out Transformers last night which is one of those games I almost bought on special but bypassed many times. It's a great psn+ as I suppose it's more fun knowing I didn't buy it directly. It's is worth a go and I'll finish it.

Is the free res evil cross plat for PS3? I know it was when I bought it.

I wish I could contract Amnesia just to forget about that stupid turd game. Fucking god awful, hated every second of it.

+1

I wouldn't say god awful, but I agree it is pretty bad even for target audience =)

Steins;Gate though is just on another level entirely. It's one of the best games I've ever played, in my 20+ years of gaming. Simply calling it the best visual novel is selling it short. It's one of the best last generation experiences out there. I really do pray to Satan that Steins;Gate 0 will provide us a PS4 port of the original game, just because owning it on three different platforms isn't enough for me.

You should play Zero Escape :D

Btw, you were a bit harsh :)

I wouldn't say god awful, but I agree it is pretty bad even for target audience =)

To be honest, I always wondered about this. Who is the target audience? The series has 2 spinoff games and an anime, so it must have had some success in Japan. (Norn9 just got its 2nd spinoff and Code Realize's spinoff isn't even out yet)

To be honest, I always wondered about this. Who is the target audience? The series has 2 spinoff games and an anime, so it must have had some success in Japan. (Norn9 just got its 2nd spinoff and Code Realize's spinoff isn't even out yet)

Its targeted for female fans where I already hate that we have two VN that involves otome crappy games sadly

Fujoshi that can ship Shin and Toma?

Not even talking about Ikki and Kent.

Seriously talking, since Amnesia was first, it's probably the reason why it got popular in the first place.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Code Realize, on the other hand, was extremely enjoyable. I loved it so much.

It's a damn shame there's a lot of people that hate Japanese voices. If you don't have an open mind regarding that, of course you won't be able to enjoy S;G. The voice acting in that is god-tier.

Lol :lol:, I liked the Heart route because it had a whodunit theme. Joker was pretty interesting too, but the others were terrible, with Diamond being the worst and really messed up. I'm looking forward to Code Realize.

Yeah I agree with Steins;Gate, definitely one of the best games. I don't mind Japanese voices and also watched the subbed anime before playing the game.

Ya know, when I mentioned that I wouldn't allow people to besmirch VNs, I thought it was a joke. 

What a load of drivel, you insult people and get what you deserve. But thanks for the wall of text, it was as interesting as a book on the vita to me.

Yeah - these kind of "debates" (which boil down to...defending one's own opinion?) can really be a slog. 

That being said...Steins;Gate is actually pretty cool