Signature Battle VII [RESULTS!]

DEMON

Signature Battle VII  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite Pro signature:

2. 2. Vote for your favorite Novice signature

Congrats to the winners :yay:.

I'd like some CnC for my sig please.

I kept wondering about this for the past few days: is that a person in the lower right corner of your sig's background?

I'll give you some CnC on your entry tomorrow.

Looks like the placings changed some since I last looked, congrats to Kamen (just noticed you were Nevec :facepalm:) & Xeliot! good-job-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862

I still have to work on text and other things. Despite winning to 2 SBs my entries have been average-okay so far.

If we're going by font, I should probably be thrown into novice myself, that's always been (& probably will be) my worst area. bad-atmosphere-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1

• Like 3

Ah ok, I thought there was so much text to type about improvements :P. Good night.

I'd be happy to trade places with you :awesome:.

Well, tbf, that is also the reason and I'm on my phone right now so yep. :P You should know I don't like half-assing CnC.

Congratulations to the winners!

I'll take C&C on my sig if anyone is willing.

Same to you, get it done tomorrow for you. :)

• Like 2

I really liked the lighting effect from the glowing orb and how you changed the colors on her armor to show that it was reflecting the light. The font was ok, but I feel like the word elves might have worked better if it used the same shade of green that the light was instead of that darker shade.  I also felt like the red color of the c4d at the bottom clashed with the green from the orb.

You might want to take what I say with a grain of salt though since I'm still just a novice.

• Like 2

Well, tbf, that is also the reason and I'm on my phone right now so yep. :P You should know I don't like half-assing CnC.

Ok, looking forward to it :D.

I really liked the lighting effect from the glowing orb and how you changed the colors on her armor to show that it was reflecting the light. The font was ok, but I feel like the word elves might have worked better if it used the same shade of green that the light was instead of that darker shade.  I also felt like the red color of the c4d at the bottom clashed with the green from the orb.

You might want to take what I say with a grain of salt though since I'm still just a novice.

Thanks for the CnC :D. I thought the text would jump out too much if the "Elves" text was the same shade of green.

• Like 2

Congrats to the winners :yay:.

While I have zero ability in the field I think what drew me away from your sig was the amount of stuff going on below the character's midriff. And how it carried up the right side of the sig and across the top kinda kept my eyes off the character. Take Kuuhaku's for example. I enjoyed the way his character was kinda being caressed by a swirl, but she was still the main focus being "out there" if that makes any sense. I felt like the stuff I mentioned around your character was threatening to crush her lol.

What I loved though was that you changed her arm position. I would have lessened the brightness of the glowing ball a bit.

Idk like I said I obviously have no place to judge something I can't do myself but I feel like by pointing out some things I personally wasn't a fan of maybe the experienced will be able to better explain.

• Like 3

Everyone who wants to can give CnC; doesn't matter if you have low skill or no skill with signatures at all, it's encouraged so long as you don't say "Your sig sucks" or say something that discourages the artist from trying again.

• Like 4

Can I request C&C from gravekeeper?

Your signature got my vote due to the lighting. While the lighting isn’t perfect, it was really good for a Novice entry. One thing you can work on is having the lighting also hit the render as well. Sure you have the yellow orbs in front of the render, but are they impacting the render at all? With a Screen brush at about 20% opacity, paint a little yellow on a new layer just on top of the render layer. Play around with it, you’ll see that it can make the lighting looks much better. Another thing with the lighting is that while you have lighting hitting the render from the top left and bottom left corners, you need to make sure the render is lighter in those areas too. The areas of the render that are away from the lighting should be darker. Use a dodge brush to make darker areas lighter, and burn brush to make lighter areas darker.

Try blurring parts of the signature slightly that are not the focal. You want the person to look immediately at the face/upper chest of the render (yes the boobs area). Lower parts of the body and parts of the hair can be slightly blurred, maybe 10% opacity brush?

Something I do with my signatures is I end a black layer that contrasts the lighting layer. That’s why you see my signatures have strong contrast. While you don’t need to have your signatures as dark as mine, it can help make the lighter areas stand out more, and the darker blurry areas feel more in the background.

Lastly your text can obviously use some work. Find better fonts on dafont.com and use them. I’m not going to really tell you how to do text, as that’s a whole piece of work on its own. Look up tutorials and learn from there. However, I will tell you that you should usually add Drop Shadow to text so it pops out from the background slightly. Also you see how “Profiles” is a bit hard to read? Create a layer underneath the text layer and with maybe 10% opacity brush, paint black behind areas of text that are hard to read. It’ll help the text be more legible.

Also not sure if anyone else noticed, but good job in making the render narrower. I don’t think anyone else did that, and it makes the render look a lot better and fit in the signature space better.

Edited by cmgravekeeper
  • Like 4

While I have zero ability in the field I think what drew me away from your sig was the amount of stuff going on below the character's midriff. And how it carried up the right side of the sig and across the top kinda kept my eyes off the character. Take Kuuhaku's for example. I enjoyed the way his character was kinda being caressed by a swirl, but she was still the main focus being "out there" if that makes any sense. I felt like the stuff I mentioned around your character was threatening to crush her lol.

What I loved though was that you changed her arm position. I would have lessened the brightness of the glowing ball a bit.

Idk like I said I obviously have no place to judge something I can't do myself but I feel like by pointing out some things I personally wasn't a fan of maybe the experienced will be able to better explain.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad someone noticed the changed arm position. Took me about 25 layers to change the 3-fingered render to this 4-fingered elf:

p3YNsgN.png

Your signature got my vote due to the lighting. While the lighting isn’t perfect, it was really good for a Novice entry. One thing you can work on is having the lighting also hit the render as well. Sure you have the yellow orbs in front of the render, but are they impacting the render at all? With a Screen brush at about 20% opacity, paint a little yellow on a new layer just on top of the render layer. Play around with it, you’ll see that it can make the lighting looks much better. Another thing with the lighting is that while you have lighting hitting the render from the top left and bottom left corners, you need to make sure the render is lighter in those areas too. The areas of the render that are away from the lighting should be darker. Use a dodge brush to make darker areas lighter, and burn brush to make lighter areas darker.

Try blurring parts of the signature slightly that are not the focal. You want the person to look immediately at the face/upper chest of the render (yes the boobs area). Lower parts of the body and parts of the hair can be slightly blurred, maybe 10% opacity brush?

Something I do with my signatures is I end a black layer that contrasts the lighting layer. That’s why you see my signatures have strong contrast. While you don’t need to have your signatures as dark as mine, it can help make the lighter areas stand out more, and the darker blurry areas feel more in the background.

Lastly your text can obviously use some work. Find better fonts on dafont.com and use them. I’m not going to really tell you how to do text, as that’s a whole piece of work on its own. Look up tutorials and learn from there. However, I will tell you that you should usually add Drop Shadow to text so it pops out from the background slightly. Also you see how “Profiles” is a bit hard to read? Create a layer underneath the text layer and with maybe 10% opacity brush, paint black behind areas of text that are hard to read. It’ll help the text be more legible.

Also not sure if anyone else noticed, but good job in making the render narrower. I don’t think anyone else did that, and it makes the render look a lot better and fit in the signature space better.

This is good stuff, I can use lots of these tips too :D.

• Like 3

Thanks for the CnC, I'm going to apply those tips into my next sig. The reason why I asked for CnC from you specifically because I was inspired by your first SB entry, I needed to understand how vertical works as I have never done a vertical signature before. 

• Like 2

Your signature was rightfully in last place. The reason being you did 1 thing that the other signatures didn’t do, make the render’s face unclear and blurry. The quality of the render actually decreased in your signature, and therefore the quality of your signature automatically decreased. For my knowledge are you using Gimp or Photoshop?

I like the fact that you thought outside the box, you were creative. Being creative is good cause you learn how to do different things that way. That being said, let’s look at the signature. You should have had the render much larger and sharper. If a render becomes a little blurry when it’s made smaller, do Sharpen Edges (if using Photoshop). Do Sharpen (or whatever Gimp has) if you used Gimp.

I like the idea of the green light, however it shouldn’t cover the render’s face. The center was too saturated, and you should gently erase the outer edges of the glowing orb with maybe a 15% opacity eraser brush. The edges shouldn’t be so strong. I see you tried to make the green glow on the render, but it wasn’t done properly. It should glow on her face, chest area that’s facing the glowing orb, not the back of her hair and the far shoulder/arm armor piece. I’m not sure how you did the glow, but I’d recommend instead adding a blank layer over the render and with a screen paint brush at 15% opacity, brush a little green on the parts you want to glow.

You had too much happening on the outside, both at the top and bottom. It’s distracting especially because it’s sharper than the render itself. Blur c4d’s so that they are not the focal point, and on the bottom maybe use a little less c4d’d. The signature would have looked better with more legs from the render than random red polygons floating around.

For the text, use more solid text. I think you’re using overlay and exclusion settings for your text. Because you have so many colors in the background, the text isn’t going to be properly legible. Use a more solid text next time. I think golden yellow text would have worked well.

Lastly I don’t like your border. It’s too think and it’s only noticeable in some locations of the signature, making it look a bit out of place. I’m not fond of borders that blur the signature behind it personally, I feel it hurts the signature.

Good ideas and approach, but execution for the signature use improvement. Also I just noticed the that you edited the hand. Good job on that, it helped your signature in what you were trying to do.

Edited by cmgravekeeper
  • Like 4

Am I dreaming here? Did I really won? Alright I won!!! :D

Demon, I don't think you have to put the name of "Kamen Rider" on my entry... (-.-) just put my name NEV, I might change my name sometimes for fun..or perhaps every months. 

• Like 3

Congratulations to the winners!

I'll take C&C on my sig if anyone is willing.

Your signature can be split into 2 halves. The top half was good, the bottom half not so much. I like what you were trying to do, and it worked out well near the top and in the background. However, at the bottom, the c4d or background layer you used for the spiraling look came out messy. And out of place. I think you could have erased it a bit using an eraser at 15% opacity so it’s less saturated looking and you can see through it a little.

You could have added lighting to the render. I like how you added the darker section on the top, however there’s no source of light that’s making the render’s face so light. Adding light would make it look more natural and stand out a bit more. Also the lighting should reflect on the rest of the render, not just the face. The chest and hand should be a little lighter as well.

Your text really hurt you. I recommend NEVER putting text that isn’t exactly horizontal. That’s something even I did in very early signatures. As you get better, you quickly learn that horizontal text always looks best. Same as stated before, you need better fonts. Go to dafont.com and find fonts each time you make signatures. You’ll slowly get a bigger collection of fonts and have your go to fonts that work in most signatures.

I liked the color scheme overall. Render placement was good. Try blurring the background slightly and the spiraling effects as well, using a 10% opacity blur brush.

I would recommend adding sparkle effects to this signature, it would have looked well. Google sparkles wallpaper, or something like that with a black background. Put the layer on screen see how the sparkles look. They don’t have to be sparkles either. Glowing orbs, or anything that might make the signature stand out more.

Great signature idea, but some of the execution was messy and incomplete.

• Like 3

Am I dreaming here? Did I really won? Alright I won!!! :D

Demon, I don't think you have to put the name of "Kamen Rider" on my entry... (-.-) just put my name NEV, I might change my name sometimes for fun..or perhaps every months.

Would you like to just be called Nev then? Usually I use whatever your current forum name is but if you're going to be changing it all the time..

Also cmgravekeeper takin' my damn job. Good critiques but I'm all out of likes. :P