Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sir_Bee

Looking for Advice or Collective Strategizing

12 posts in this topic

I bought Darkest Dungeon last night, and went on a few quests.  I lost two people already, the first because I was an idiot and did not realize his heal came with a bleed effect, the second because I was not a huge fan of the character.  I am enjoying the atmosphere, and enjoying trying out the different classes together to see what works best and where.  

Then I started to turn my attention to how to go about upgrading the town.  With my very minimal experience, these were my thoughts:

1 - I would think that getting at least one or two upgrades in the stagecoach would be helpful.  9 characters is not enough in a party, especially when you have to leave some behind to heal, and when some out level those they started with.  I would think that more replacements would be helpful for better odds at getting the classes I need to replace.

2 - Probably upgrading the skill giver to help dispatch stronger monsters easier, and to heal better.  I have not looked much into them, but generally if you hit harder, you live longer.

3 - The blacksmith would probably go along with the previous point as well.  If we are better geared, we will likely do better.

4 - The stress reduction places seem like they will be super useful in later stages, but right now I can only scare 4 people at a time (and if one doesn't make it) I only need to heal 3 at a time.  I just don't see an early need to spend a lot of resources into these, at least not until dungeons start getting more difficult.

That is just my very early impressions.  If anyone else is just starting, or is already a veteran from the PC, and has some other advice, I would be more than happy to hear about it, or brainstorm together.

Getting thé stagecoach upgraded to 4 héro income was also my first move.

My main Team is heavyly équipes for antistress vestal for healing, jester with two songs, crusader with -6stress skill, Leaper as first tank with self stress drop skill. So i usually end à quest with below 2 chips of stress. I rotate my main Team to have them recover stress. In thé other teams i dismiss heavyly stresséd heroes. So i save à lot of gold by not using stress releif. I purchase more provisions instead and lvl equipment and skills as i go. So far im on week 12 with my main party résolve, équipment and skills lvl 3.

I do buy upgrades that lower costs first for guild and blacksmith. And i lowered sanitarium quirk costs as Well.

My experience so far is that a healer, a character with stress reduction skills and a stunner are mandatory to perform well.

Also, I noticed that once a character hit resolve level 3, he can no longer run lvl1 quest. Therefore, you cannot carry low level characters with a high level one.

I was wondering, is there a way to expand the inventory space? I always end up with inventory full halfway on a medium quest..

I have always thought that Souls series were the hardest before playing this game. I was very, very wrong :(

I think upgrading stagecoach at the beginning of the game is a wise move. Also, a good healer is COMPULSORY for the victory.

I am still trying to get a grip. I am hopeless :facepalm:

I'm a newbie to this game as well but it is one of the best games I have ever played for certain.

If you're into guides I'd recommend this link while dungeoning:

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

You'll make better use of your resources/items by knowing where to place them for extra rewards and can pick and choose which curio you'd like to gamble on. I agree that the stagecoach is a good first priority. It may also help to get the cost reduction upgrades on every building early where possible because the money saved is a long-term investment in itself. I also got the third upgrade on the stagecoach ASAP where it increases the level that new recruits might pop up as. This is because level 1 recruits come fully equipped with all abilities already at level 1, saving you a ton of time and money that you would normally be putting in spelunking level 1 dungeons. 

I lost my first lvl 4 character to a few horrible dice rolls in a row.  I am lucky I got out with the other 3 alive.  I had even named him Robin Hood, so it was a sad day.

You also have to be careful, because once a character hits lvl 5, they won't run lvl 3 dungeons anymore.  I had a team that worked well together all at lvl 4, one died, and one hit lvl 5.  So I was stuck with 2 level 4's that cannot do anything until I get more lvl 3's to run with them.

I have been playing around with the classes, and I have found that I have been enjoying most of them.  I am curious how you can tell if a character is religious though?  I really enjoy the abomination, but I cannot tell which of my characters will refuse to join him.  Also, as far as I can tell, there are only really 2 decent healers (vestal and ocultist), so always make sure you have at least one or two of them in every level block (0-2, 3-4, 5, and I assume lvl 6 characters won't run lvl 5)

Below is a list of classes I have found helpful, and what position I play them in.

Position 1:

Barbarian, Crusader, Leper

Position 2:

Crusader, Leper, Houndmaster, Highwayman (this is the lvl 4 that died :( )

Position 3:

Grave Robber, Musketeer, Vestal, Ocultist

Position 4:

Plague Doctor, Vestal, Ocultist, Musketeer, The one with the crossbow (I cannot remember her name).

That isn't to say that the other classes aren't any good, I just have not found a skillset and position that I like with them yet.

I lost my first lvl 4 character to a few horrible dice rolls in a row.  I am lucky I got out with the other 3 alive.  I had even named him Robin Hood, so it was a sad day.

You also have to be careful, because once a character hits lvl 5, they won't run lvl 3 dungeons anymore.  I had a team that worked well together all at lvl 4, one died, and one hit lvl 5.  So I was stuck with 2 level 4's that cannot do anything until I get more lvl 3's to run with them.

I have been playing around with the classes, and I have found that I have been enjoying most of them.  I am curious how you can tell if a character is religious though?  I really enjoy the abomination, but I cannot tell which of my characters will refuse to join him.  Also, as far as I can tell, there are only really 2 decent healers (vestal and ocultist), so always make sure you have at least one or two of them in every level block (0-2, 3-4, 5, and I assume lvl 6 characters won't run lvl 5)

Below is a list of classes I have found helpful, and what position I play them in.

Position 1:

Barbarian, Crusader, Leper

Position 2:

Crusader, Leper, Houndmaster, Highwayman (this is the lvl 4 that died :( )

Position 3:

Grave Robber, Musketeer, Vestal, Ocultist

Position 4:

Plague Doctor, Vestal, Ocultist, Musketeer, The one with the crossbow (I cannot remember her name).

That isn't to say that the other classes aren't any good, I just have not found a skillset and position that I like with them yet.

Nice list :)

My favorite line-up is like this:

(From fourth to one)

Plague Doctor, Vestal, Highwayman, Crusader

Plague doctor is really good at stun, blight and destroying corpses with only one strike. He is pretty much awesome.

Vestal is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for healing or she is a MUST have party member.

Highwayman is maybe the best hero in the game. His skills are versatile. He can deliver both pretty good melee and ranged attacks.

Crusader is the tank of the group. If you upgrade his weapon and armor, he is practically unbeatable

Lastly, upgrading skills, armors and weapons is ESSENTIAL for victory.

Also, if your dungeoning goes very bad, you can just shut off the game and load your save. The game will start at the beginning of the dungeon :)

Nice list :)

My favorite line-up is like this:

(From fourth to one)

Plague Doctor, Vestal, Highwayman, Crusader

Plague doctor is really good at stun, blight and destroying corpses with only one strike. He is pretty much awesome.

Vestal is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for healing or she is a MUST have party member.

Highwayman is maybe the best hero in the game. His skills are versatile. He can deliver both pretty good melee and ranged attacks.

Crusader is the tank of the group. If you upgrade his weapon and armor, he is practically unbeatable

Lastly, upgrading skills, armors and weapons is ESSENTIAL for victory.

Also, if your dungeoning goes very bad, you can just shut off the game and load your save. The game will start at the beginning of the dungeon :)

That lineup was actually my first group to hit lvl 3, so I agree with your line :).

As for the last part, while that is true that would work, I feel it goes against the spirit of the game.  Maybe I will change my mind when I lose a lvl 5 or 6 character and am going to fail the dungeon, but until then I will just accept the losses.

I prefer the Occultist to the Vestal in almost every situation. His heal is very rng based but it works better for me than Vestal's nickel and dime heals. Just don't put a Leper and Occultist in the same group or you're gonna have a bad time. Having an Arbalest and an Occultist in the 4th and 3rd position respectively lets you wreck the enemy back line. Jester is a good swap for Arbalest if you don't have another stress relief character somewhere.

Man at Arms, Hellion or Leper are all crazy good for the front position. Hellion throws out stuns all day, and the Man at Arms with riposte and protection going is a wrecking ball.

Plague Doctor and Houndmaster are super good in almost any party I've had too. The only class I can't click with the Graverobber. Not sure how to utilize her just yet.

I think that I have actually found a decent team layout to make use of the awesome abomination.

Position 1: Hellion

Position 2: Abomination

Position 3: Jester

Position 4: Occultist

They are only lvl 2 so far, but they seem to mesh well, and the abomination and jester play off one another well.  I tend to keep the abomination in human form unless I am fighting something big, he does just fine that way.

This composition is safe, low-stress, shuffle-resistant and most highly profitable for Apprentice & Veteran dungeons. I don't run anything else, unless trying to level up other characters -

1. Antiquarian - Nervous Stab, Flashpowder, Festering Vapours, Protect Me

2. Highwayman - Tracking Shot, Point Blank Shot, Duelist's Advance, Open Vein

3. Grave Robber - Pick to the Face, Lunge, Shadow Fade, Poison Dart

4. Vestal - Judgement, Dazzling Light, Divine Grace, Divine Comfort

Slots 1-3 play leap-frog, typically go first due to high speed and take out the stress-inducing backlines on the first turn. High accuracy and critical chance on Highwayman and Grave Robber means crits land frequently, taking care of most in-battle stress. Start Grave Robber in slot 4 for 2 x Lunges, before leaving Vestal at the rear. Take Gallows Humor on Highwayman and Grave Robber for strong party-wide stress management while camping.

Antiquarian significantly boosts treasure, which ultimately makes the long-game and Platinum trophy easier to achieve. Hamlet upgrades are easier, as is provisioning, and the gold-sink aspect of stress is mitigated by overflowing the coffers with gold and heirlooms. Open all containers with the Antiquarian for maximum loot. When gold-farming, stick to medium dungeons as they seem to have the most amount of secret rooms. When heirloom-farming, do long dungeons and favour heirlooms over gold.

Antiquarian is the core of the build, mostly due to making the resource game dead easy, but also thanks to great synergy with Highwayman via Protect Me + Dualist's Advance. Unsurprisingly, Antiquarian gets targeted a lot, which opens up multiple opportunities per round for Riposte from the Highwayman, greatly improving his damage output. Spam Protect Me, then occasionally drop Flashpowder to debuff enemy accuracy by up to -18 at level 5 for even more team-wide dodging. Festering Vapours blights for up to 4pts / round, which is handy for boss fights, particularly when stacked with Grave Robber's Poison Dart.

Stack +Surprise on Antiquarian to minimise party shuffling, which really only affects the Vestal, and to increase the team's already strong first-round advantage to wipe out stress well before it becomes a problem. +Dodge / Speed / Protect are irrelevant once Antiquarian pops Protect Me, so they're a wasted attribute for trinkets. If stress is an issue, stack -Stress trinkets as she'll be hitting the fewest crits.

Stack +Healing (up to a 63% boost) on the Vestal for big, reliable & party-wide heals. Vestal's a much safer option than the Occultist's RNG-based healing and frequently hits heal crits for stress management. Her job is to keep the red bars topped up while tossing out the occasional Judgement for dmg with a strong self-heal, and a stun in Dazzling Light, when needed.

Stack +Dodge on the Highwayman to counter his squishiness. He'll be targeted a lot more due to Dualist's Advance + Protect Me, which also adds up to 30% Prot, making the Highwayman pretty tanky. Alternate between Duelist's advance to refresh Riposte and Point Blank Shot for big damage. Tracking Shot is there for its buff as both Wicked Slice and Pistol Shot are largely redundant. Open Vein is for bleed DoT on high-prot enemies and bosses.

Stack +Scout on the Grave Robber for a very high chance of uncovering the map, finding secret rooms and getting more loot in general. Take her +Scout camping skill too. +Dodge isn't needed for Grave Robber, she's got that covered with Shadow Fade (which also stuns) and can easily stack Dodge to 50+ while she gets back in position for Poison Dart or Lunge. Grave Robber also removes diseases while camping, removing another gold sink. Not to mention Poison Dart as blight DoT to counter high-prot and bosses...what's not to love?

Give it a try - it's a really easy and fun team to run, crits a lot to minimise stress, dodges most attacks, handles shuffling like a champ and can take on bosses with big stacks of bleed & blight and heavy direct damage. They eat Apprentice and Veteran dungeons for breakfast and should remain viable at Champion when fully levelled. Remembering to reset the party order after every battle is the hardest part of running this group.

Stress, dodge, conditions and crits are a huge problem in Champion dungeons, so I run this build  -

1. Jester - Finale, Solo, Battle Ballad, Inspiring Tune

2. Leper - Hew, Withstand, Solemnity, Initimidate

3. Plague Doctor - Noxious Blast / Incision, Battlefield Medicine, Emboldening Vapours, Disorienting Blast

4. Vestal - Judgement, Dazzling Light, Divine Grace, Divine Comfort

The team composition has excellent synergy all round and turns the Leper into a bona-fide boss-killer after camping with +30 Acc, +10 Crt and +10 Dodge. It's also an incredibly safe build to run on Apprentice and Veteran dungeons as an off-team for the Antiquarian build.

Start Jester in slot 4 and open with Battle Ballad for team-wide crit and speed boosts for 3 rounds to compensate for their middling speed, then swap to spamming solo for opposing team-wide accuracy debuffs. Plague Doctor and Vestal hit the backline with stuns to neutralise stress inducers. Leper damages both front-lines with Hew, essentially removing the need for a second damage dealer.

When stress starts to mount, Jester uses Finale to land the biggest hit / crit in the game and move to the backline to use Inspiring Tune. Plague Doctor gets shuffled to slot 2, which is why we're taking Noxious Blast / Incision (depending on resistance of foes) and Disorienting Blast, which also stuns and clears corpses to bring enemies into Leper's Hew range.

When convenient, Plague Doctor and Jester buff Leper with Emboldening Vapours and Battle Ballad for high-damage crits, or Leper debuffs damage with Intimidate. 

The team features 3 x heals, 2 x stress-heal, and bleed / blight removal for solid health management. 3 of 4 members are religious, which ties into Vestal's camping prot and stress buffs. Camping skills also hugely buff the Leper's crits and accuracy, along with team-wide stress reduction. It doesn't matter if the Jester is caught out of position as Solo will move him to the front.

For Trinkets, +Stun & +Surprise on the Vestal, +Stun / +Bleed & +Scouting on the Plague Doctor, +Accuracy & +Crit on the Leper, +Debuff & +Stress Heal on the Jester. Given Jester's Solo spam dropping enemy accuracy by up to +36, there should be no need for +Dodge.

For quirks, +Speed is king followed by +Accuracy for all, +Crit & Damage on Leper, +HP on squishies, and -Stress on helps for everyone.

Alternately, swap Jester out for a Hellion and Leper for a Crusader. Take stun on both the Hellion and Plague Doctor to control all 4 opposing slots. Crusader's handy for stress management - though not as strong in that department as a Jester, he makes up for it with brute strength and by allowing the PD to remain in slot 4 for the double stun & blight.

Marking teams like Bounty Hunter, Houndmaster, Occultist, Arbalest are fun and have high damage output, but are very reliant on RNG for healing and stress at higher levels.

Darkest Dungeon has so many options and every build has at least one or two holes, so it ultimately comes down to what works best for you in the dungeon you're running.

Edited by ant1th3s1s