Battleborn may soon be free to play

ShadowStar83x

The same article has an update saying:

Update: Gearbox head Randy Pitchford has responded to the rumor on Twitter, saying "There are no plans to convert Battleborn free to play."

"We have some unannounced plans to do a trial version of the game that would be free and from which retail can be purchased along with DLC," Pitchford said in a followup tweet, then added, "Free trial plans are not firm yet - months away. Expect great continued support and awesome line up of DLC."

• Like 2

Man, if this game ever were to become a free to play title, i would feel bad for those people who bought this game at full price, especially those who pre-ordered the game.  :(

Update: Gearbox head Randy Pitchford has responded to the rumor on Twitter, saying "There are no plans to convert Battleborn free to play."

"We have some unannounced plans to do a trial version of the game that would be free and from which retail can be purchased along with DLC," Pitchford said in a followup tweet, then added, "Free trial plans are not firm yet - months away. Expect great continued support and awesome line up of DLC."

I'be seen rumors denied, then it turn out they're true, so we'll see.
  • Like 1

Definitely damage control there.

Rather have it as a PS+ offering that F2P....would piss off plenty of the early buyers.

Agreed. This makes a LOT more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

It probably won't happen for a while. Tutorials have to be added, matchmaking has to be completely redone, and before any of that can be done Gearbox still has to release two more characters, one gamemode, and four more co-op missions. I'd say early 2017 is the earliest we'll see F2P Battleborn.

You can't release gold like Borderlands, then at the same time release the game around Overwatch's release date. Suicidal. 

Actually, Battleborn kept trying to release before Overwatch, but Overwatch pushed the date back to match them. They were trying to avoid competing with Overwatch AFAIK, but Blizzard went as far as even releasing the Open Beta right around BB's launch.

Shame. They should have let Overwatch release, polished the game more, and THEN pushed it out. Even now PC is a mess optimization wise, and apparently consoles had issues too at launch.

• Like 1

The game sells for like £10 pre-owned now and there's tonnes of copies available for it

I've never seen a game price drop as quick as this did

It was absolutely awful though, it wasn't fun and the grind was real and yawnsome

They should make it free to play

Make it so people can pay to unlock characters early and pay to buy loot etc. If they like and they may make fair bit of money

I mean what have they got to lose

I'm sure the game was a huge flop as even on release the game wasn't exactly heaving server wise