Rsident Evil 7 VR mode is exclusive to the PSVR for a year

FlareXV

Perhaps the vr version was being worked on first and they decided late to make it to console version and perhaps due to its appeal, a regular one will be made and optimization takes time

Or, Sony actually signed a deal and it's that simple lol.

Edited by poopooblast

Wait, so does that mean PSVR will be required to play it for the first year, or can it still be played with just a PS4?

I'm interested in the game, but I'm not about to get PSVR to play it during the first year.

It can still be played with a PS4.  It's just the Virtual Reality Mode is exclusive to Playstaion for 1 year and then it'll move on to Xbox One, PC etc.

• Like 1

I personally don't care for VR in the slightest, but console exclusivity needs to be done away with in general.

Why? It is how companies get the edge on others. Sony pays Capcom to give them an advantage over other consoles because without it people may not pay for their Peripheral.

I wish there was more exclusivity. Back in the day of the NES/Genesis, N64/Playstation PS2/Gamecub/Xbox every console was very different and you really got to choose which one you wanted. Also companies made games for that console so you got a better experience (usually) instead of a company trying to divide resources so their game works on all consoles (which leads to things like FF13 being dumbed down so the x360 could play it as well).

Now it really doesn't matter which console you buy because every game is on every console and the only real difference is the small amount of 1st party exclusives.

Why? It is how companies get the edge on others. Sony pays Capcom to give them an advantage over other consoles because without it people may not pay for their Peripheral.

I wish there was more exclusivity. Back in the day of the NES/Genesis, N64/Playstation PS2/Gamecub/Xbox every console was very different and you really got to choose which one you wanted. Also companies made games for that console so you got a better experience (usually) instead of a company trying to divide resources so their game works on all consoles (which leads to things like FF13 being dumbed down so the x360 could play it as well).

Now it really doesn't matter which console you buy because every game is on every console and the only real difference is the small amount of 1st party exclusives.

I also liked that in multiplatform games back then, they had exclusive levels or weapons etc depending on which system it was on

The number of developers lost during that era was bad, why would you want developers to go through that again?

What the hell is this? The series was having problems well before the inclusion of XB360. If you are talking about graphical prowess then I agree, the game would have looked better if it was an PS3 exclusive.

Edited by FlareXV

This is pretty dumb if you ask me. To ensure VR as a whole is successful, we need all of these devices to have games for them so it's appealing to the consumer. PSVR, Oculus, HTC Vive, etc. They're very much in this together. The more VR devices that are successful, the bigger the install base, and that means more devs will be willing to develop VR games for them. It's a win win.

Now of course I don't expect Sony to release their first party VR games on other platforms, but I think they should stop making these kinds of deals with third party publishers. None of this timed exclusivity BS. Who does that even benefit anyway?

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

It can still be played with a PS4.  It's just the Virtual Reality Mode is exclusive to Playstaion for 1 year and then it'll move on to Xbox One, PC etc.

Ah, okay. I was getting a little worried they were trying to force PSVR onto PS4 owners there for a minute. :P I'm not too interested in the whole VR thing, I feel it's just going to be one of those fads that come by every now & then. xD

The number of developers lost during that era was bad, why would you want developers to go through that again?

What the hell is this? The series was having problems well before the inclusion of XB360. If you are talking about graphical prowess then I agree, the game would have looked better if it was an PS3 exclusive.

Same amount of developers that are lost now a days. Companies like Capcom, Konami, RARE, all made their names during those days. All of those companies are shells of their former selves but back then they were putting out hit after hit. I mean Capcom on the NES/SNES was an absolute beast.

Also yes the graphics were severely downplayed because FF13 couldn't fit on the X360 (even with 3 discs). Also games like Devil May Cry 4 was hurt because Xbox was the better selling system so the new game was designed for that but then a hacked job was released on the PS3.

This. For PS4, Xbox One and PC itll be out in January, its just the VR version that is PSVR exclusive for 1 year.

Also, I must say, Capcom reeeeeeally loves these 1 year exclusive deals, so maybe they don't get hurt as much as we think they would, or they wouldn't keep making them

Edited by BIOHAZARD-R-US

• 3 months later...
On 02/10/2016 at 9:06 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Couldn't have said it better myself

On 2-10-2016 at 10:06 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

Soul Calibur II had different guest characters depending on which console you had. Which is stupid in my opinion. I understand why they couldn't include Link in the PS2 version, but aside from that, no. It's like having to pre-order from different retailers to get specific DLC (get X from Gamestop, get Y from Amazon). Honestly, as long as there's exclusivity there will always be more division between players from different consoles instead of unity.

However, I agree on your point about games being dumbed down.

1 hour ago, Bubblyfishes said:

Soul Calibur II had different guest characters depending on which console you had. Which is stupid in my opinion. I understand why they couldn't include Link in the PS2 version, but aside from that, no. It's like having to pre-order from different retailers to get specific DLC (get X from Gamestop, get Y from Amazon). Honestly, as long as there's exclusivity there will always be more division between players from different consoles instead of unity.

However, I agree on your point about games being dumbed down.

Soul Calibur 4 did that with Vader and Yoda as well.

You might think it is dumb but that is just how the console wars worked. I never had a problem with it because no console was treated better or worse...just different.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Soul Calibur 4 did that with Vader and Yoda as well.

You might think it is dumb but that is just how the console wars worked. I never had a problem with it because no console was treated better or worse...just different.

yes, but the difference is that you could buy the one lacking on the other console. which is a bit... cheap but at least you had access to all the characters. and that's the thing isn't it: console wars. everyone should just enjoy their respective consoles and this constant hunger for division & exclusivity isn't helping at all. maybe it's just me, idk :P 

2 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

yes, but the difference is that you could buy the one lacking on the other console. which is a bit... cheap but at least you had access to all the characters. and that's the thing isn't it: console wars. everyone should just enjoy their respective consoles and this constant hunger for division & exclusivity isn't helping at all. maybe it's just me, idk :P 

Hey I just remember going over to my friend's house who was a Sega Guy and having all of these different and new games to play because I couldn't get them on my NES or SNES. Back in the day you didn't own 2 consoles (unless you were one of the rich kids) so it really was a different world when you finally got to play one :).

Just now, Dr_Mayus said:

Hey I just remember going over to my friend's house who was a Sega Guy and having all of these different and new games to play because I couldn't get them on my NES or SNES. Back in the day you didn't own 2 consoles (unless you were one of the rich kids) so it really was a different world when you finally got to play one :).

that is true, but times have changed. to be frank, i don't particularly have an issue with exclusive games, but i do have a problem with different content for the same game, timed exclusivity for a specific console or earlier access to DLC