Playstation VR who's getting it, one week now

Steveatron

I'm not a hater by any stretch but that's why I'm not getting one. For £350 I would absolutely have to get multiple 30+ hour experiences from it for it to be worth it to me. Maybe in time there will be but I suspect that will be the problem. You need the install base to get those kind of games and you need those kind of games to get the install base.

I'm on the fence with VR. If it doesn't work out I won't be too bothered. If it does, they'll get the game library needed for me to make that investment and I'll happily jump in. I'll just wait and see what happens

Right and i totally agree with you, that if that's what you want out of it, then i would hold out until the games you're looking for in a VR unit come out, or the price drops. The only meaty games i can think of thats AAA is Resident Evil 7, and Grand Turismo. 

Topic meaty games: Ace Combat, Driveclub (seems to be about as big as Driveclub Bikes, at least), Moto Racer 4, Eagle Flight (going by price), Star Trek: Bridge Crew (again, going by price), Robinson: The Journey... It's true that there probably will be less gigantic games for VR than without (though there's already a few big VR exclusive games revealed like Robinson) but it's not like you'll starve.

On the topic of what it's worth: yeah this will be a reason not to get VR for many people. I'm not going to talk people into spending so much money but I will say that you'll have to look at this like a full console release - PS4 would never have worked if all those early adopters had waited until there were more games. Usually I'm more of a waiting person myself, but there were games announced exclusively for new gen that I absolutely needed to have. With VR it's less about specific games and more about the general experience, but if I'd have to point at one game in particular then it would be the single X-Wing mission. I really want to sit in an X-Wing, and I really want that one to make money for EA so they realise they should make Rogue Squadron VR.

In the end, to each his own. I agree that someone who mainly wants massive AAA time sinks, VR offers little right away. People who are more into small games, preferably with some weird factor that makes them stand out from others, will get much more out of it.

Very well put. Like I said I'm one of those people where it doesn't matter. Im totally on board for the first "wave" of VR games that are going to be tech demos and short experiences for the most part and im okay with that. Publishers are just getting a grasp for how vr totally works and stuff. It'll take time before we get a Last of Us or whatever type game changer where it becomes a must have system

I really hope I'm getting it on Thursday.

Basically, I pre-ordered it through an Australian retailer who were the last ones in Australia to have the day 1 pre-orders (Big W for those who want to know) I'm very skeptical on their reliability for this because I had a bad experience just getting my pre-order. I've emailed them to confirm that they will have units coming on the 13th and they have yet to get back to me with a definitive response.

Already pre-ordered my Move Twin Pack for Thursday and physical copy of Rez Infinite which was originally supposed to be ready at launch.

Very worried. Hoping for the best. :unsure:

Will update when I know more.

Edited by olimoo101
  • Like 1

Very well put. Like I said I'm one of those people where it doesn't matter. Im totally on board for the first "wave" of VR games that are going to be tech demos and short experiences for the most part and im okay with that. Publishers are just getting a grasp for how vr totally works and stuff. It'll take time before we get a Last of Us or whatever type game changer where it becomes a must have system

Same here.The game I'm actually most interested in to play right away is Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. Now there's a developer that seems to realise what kind of weird stuff can be done with VR...

For those who don't know: in KTANE you have to defuse a bomb. You need a second player with you who looks at the manual for you, as you can't see the manual yourself. But the person with the manual can't see the bomb, only the person wearing VR can...

I get motion sickness playing Duke Nukem 3D on the Vita, so yeah no.

Besides, I'm a traditional gamer, I never got into move controls or any other gimmick other than me, my TV and a controller on my hands.

The most of the games for VR can be played sitting down with the regular dualshock controller, Sony's orders :) Only a select few games will require Move, Batman and VR Worlds are the only ones I can think of right now.

As said earlier in the thread to someone else who thought VR required Move, personally I only got interested after I found out that Sony wants the dualshock to work on most games and recommends sitting down most of the time.

The most of the games for VR can be played sitting down with the regular dualshock controller, Sony's orders :) Only a select few games will require Move, Batman and VR Worlds are the only ones I can think of right now.

As said earlier in the thread to someone else who thought VR required Move, personally I only got interested after I found out that Sony wants the dualshock to work on most games and recommends sitting down most of the time.

I get you, but I meant the headset itself as a gimmick. I'd have to try it before dismissing it completely, but the very idea to have to buy another thing full of cables for something that will probably give me motion sickness as opposed to simply playing games on my TV doesn't appeal to me. I wish everyone who digs the concept to be happy with it though, it just doesn't seem to click for me.

P.S. It appears on the EU PS blog that today we'll get some information on "non-game experiences".

Here we go...

Seems to be one of two things: actual movies, and 360 degrees documentaries. I'm mostly interested in the First Life docu from Attenborough but many of the CGI movies, documentaries and even 360 degrees rollercoasters sound cool to try.

Didn't I say there would be more going on with VR? I figure it won't be long until we get stuff like Walking With Dinosaurs filmed in VR (the awesome series, not the horrible movie).

• Like 1

No I won't buy it

Love it that you bring forth so many arguments for your decision. This is really contributing towards the conversation. Good job.

OT: just printed out the Bomb Defusal Manual from Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes so the missus can guide me through. Is it weird that that's the launch game that interests me the most? It's probably weird.

Edit: yes I know JG and Satoshi, you lot win in weirdness by being interested in Summer Lesson. That doesn't count, I mean West-weird :) I can understand people being interested in Summer Lesson even if I am not, that's just a difference in culture. I'm talking about being mostly interested in such a low-key side game instead of some of the main fluff they want you to feel excited for.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

I'm a traditional gamer, I never got into move controls or any other gimmick other than me, my TV and a controller on my hands.

That's basically my stance on VR as well. I've been around video games long enough to see power gloves, motion controls, and all the other bells and whistles the industry has given us. I'm not saying VR will be the same, but like those it's just not something that interests me. 

Edited by Sofa King
  • Like 1

I won't be buying it as VR doesn't interest me, When I'm gaming I like to be able to freely move around, Speak/See people around me or pay my pets some attention, check news or read gaming forums or whether it's just simply been able to look around my room or see some daylight during loading screens a quick look out of my window to see if anything is going on instead of been oblivious to my surroundings.

Basically having a bag over my head closing me off from the rest of life isn't my idea of fun gaming.

Edited by Obscure_Ale
  • Like 3

Got mine paid for and ready to ship. Getting PSVR worlds,Until dawn and Rez and Driveclub VR as DLC. just hope i'm gonna be ok to use it as I only had laser eye surgery gone Tuesday

Don't start with Driveclub, it's the only demo that made me sick and it made lots of people sick. Maybe fast moving games in general are better reserved for when you're a bit used to VR...

• Like 1

Given it's $549 in Canada, lolno. Shame as I like buying new things like this, I've got PS Move and really enjoyed it. I got Wonderbook, even though I knew Sony would drop it like a ton of bricks [which they did]. But I like Augmented Reality gimmicks and knew I'd get a kick out of it. Got the PS Camera for PlayRoom which is neato [Ninja DLC is best~]. But $550? No thank you.

RIGS, PlayRoom VR, Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, Robinson: The Journey, and Golem are the standouts for me. But nothing they do can make it worth $550 to me. That's just ridiculous. I don't care how horrible the Canadian dollar is, I'm not a shareholder at Sony so it's irrelevant to me. I'm a consumer, and that price is way far beyond what I'd be willing to pay for VR.

Maybe I'm weird but I'm just not that bothered about strapping a big piece of plastic to my face. I just don't see the appeal, using 3D glasses in my own house is already too much of a leap for me. Then there's the cost, I would certainly wait for that to drop.

I get that horror games would be great in VR though.

Man, I'm still on the damn fence about this.  I have it pre-ordered on Amazon and have even paid off about $75 dollars of it.  I worked a lot of overtime this past couple of weeks to have a good paycheck and have the money to get it paid off with money left over.  I'm just worried that the games coming out at launch are what I really want to play.  I have EVE pre-ordered and VR worlds included in the bundle and I would likely get Driveclub and Rez.  I'm mostly looking forward to RE7 and some other horror games but hell, that's next year.  I know I can wait and pick it up but... I have the money now, money I worked for for this very reason.  I can always save up and get it later but then I'm afraid I won't be able to get the bundle and would have to piece everything together.  I don't know what to do.  Ugh.  I want it, I really do but I don't need another game sitting in my backlog cause I have a ton.

• Like 2

Man, I'm still on the damn fence about this. I have it pre-ordered on Amazon and have even paid off about $75 dollars of it. I worked a lot of overtime this past couple of weeks to have a good paycheck and have the money to get it paid off with money left over. I'm just worried that the games coming out at launch are what I really want to play. I have EVE pre-ordered and VR worlds included in the bundle and I would likely get Driveclub and Rez. I'm mostly looking forward to RE7 and some other horror games but hell, that's next year. I know I can wait and pick it up but... I have the money now, money I worked for for this very reason. I can always save up and get it later but then I'm afraid I won't be able to get the bundle and would have to piece everything together. I don't know what to do. Ugh. I want it, I really do but I don't need another game sitting in my backlog cause I have a ton.

Good luck on making a decision, even though I'm looking at different games I was just like this. Personally, I decided to go through with my pre-order a few days ago. Unfortunately only afterwards will you know if you'll regret the decision you've made.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

I really hope I'm getting it on Thursday.

Basically, I pre-ordered it through an Australian retailer who were the last ones in Australia to have the day 1 pre-orders (Big W for those who want to know) I'm very skeptical on their reliability for this because I had a bad experience just getting my pre-order. I've emailed them to confirm that they will have units coming on the 13th and they have yet to get back to me with a definitive response.

Already pre-ordered my Move Twin Pack for Thursday and physical copy of Rez Infinite which was originally supposed to be ready at launch.

Very worried. Hoping for the best. :unsure:

Will update when I know more.

They got back to me by email and told me that it was a store issue and not an online issue :rolleyes: , so I went to the store today and they told me that it should be coming on the 13th but they're not too sure. They confirmed that they will contact me by phone on that day if it arrives, so fingers-crossed that they'll be getting units this week. I don't have a PS4 camera so I'll have to purchase one even before I know if I'm getting a PS VR this week.

Until then I'll be on my knees praying to Shuehei Yoshida.

Sony-Shuhei-Yoshida-Pope.jpg

Edited by olimoo101
  • Like 4

I pre-ordered it when the base bundle came out since I'm one of those people stupid enough to own two dildos and a PS4 camera.

But I cancelled it a couple days ago, not only because it will be cheaper getting it from another retailer without paying $50 bucks to Amazon in taxes, but also because by Black Friday (when I intend to grab one) there is a high chance for some of the games to go on sale OR to get some of them cheaper.

Judging by the fact the games/experiences are short, my suspicion is that people will start to sell them second hand pretty early on, and that's when I'd be able to get a discount even this early on the life cycle. That's my idea anyway.

I pre-ordered it when the base bundle came out since I'm one of those people stupid enough to own two dildos and a PS4 camera.

But I cancelled it a couple days ago, not only because it will be cheaper getting it from another retailer without paying $50 bucks to Amazon in taxes, but also because by Black Friday (when I intend to grab one) there is a high chance for some of the games to go on sale OR to get some of them cheaper.

Judging by the fact the games/experiences are short, my suspicion is that people will start to sell them second hand pretty early on, and that's when I'd be able to get a discount even this early on the life cycle. That's my idea anyway.

When is Black Friday again? I'm going to wait with many games for a sale as well, and while Holland does not celebrate black friday or thanksgiving and stuff, the last few years we still had a black friday sale on the PSN store.

I've gone from don't care too much to mini hyped. I'm just worried my eyes will have a funny reaction like not being able to see anything properly afterwards. Anyway, I've located Sony in Osaka and will try this next week, I think I'll like it for the vr dedicated and regular games.