Playstation VR who's getting it, one week now

Steveatron

Meanwhile, the topic can be changed to "three nights to go..." :D

Have fun everyone who's getting it, I hope everyone finds a fun game for them to play and that nobody who's just in it for the hype will find themselves disappointed.

Don't worry. :D I'm interested to RIGS, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Driveclub VR, PlayStation VR Worlds and Job Simulator if I had the VR already.

Don't worry. :D I'm interested to RIGS, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Driveclub VR, PlayStation VR Worlds and Job Simulator if I had the VR already.

It's not so much worrying as much as realising that some people will not have tried it beforehand and will have built up unrealistic expectations about VR. I knew my expectations were too high before, which is why I'm glad I tried it a few times last month. I know what to expect now and I'm still looking forward to it.

Personally, the one launch game I anticipate the most is Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. Other games on my shortlist include Batman, Thumper, Volume: Coda, Wayward Sky and The Assembly. I want to want Loading Human but I have doubts about that one ending up being good.

I also want to like Driveclub but I played the demo and it made me actually a bit sick, as well as a bunch of other people playing it at the same event. It might be that speed games need to be played when you are accustomed to VR, and it might be (like the personell said) that it just wasn't a very good demo and the game will be better, but it gave me enough of a spin to not want it until I absolutely know the full game is better. I'll try it out at a game store, they said they wanted to try to get a VR set in the store to have people try it.

Meanwhile, the topic can be changed to "three nights to go..." :D

I can't wait... my store gets its stock in today, but they cannot let me have mine until Thursday morning (I won't bother with going out at midnight) so in approx. 72 hours from now I will be outside the shop waiting keenly.

I really wanted to make a thread about PSVR experiences because of peoples apparent perception of how PSVR works... all I can say is it plays nothing like Move, it plays nothing like Playroom, because you see, in those experiences you are looking at the TV screen and watching yourself perform clunky and often innacurate movements just like how Kinect was... really really poor.

PSVR does not put you into a position of seeing yourself in the game, you actually are in the game, the game is all around you, and this is all you can see. Others probably could describe it better and I offer them the baton to do just that, but anyone who thinks this is just an expensive improved version of Move or Kinect is completely misinformed.

Look around you now, look up, down, left and right, now THAT is PSVR... you are there, seeing it how you would in real life. Not from some 3rd person perspective.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I have yet to try it out. I can't find anywhere in Norway where I can, and I've been looking for 4 months. My best bet would be to befriend the local GameStop manager in hopes I'll be invited to his house one day to try it out. 

It took me a long time to find a way to try it, too. When I finally got to play it this Saturday it was of course too late to preorder =/

That is the problem, as I think BillyHorrible said so previously, the main weaknesses of PSVR are that it is not cheap and also not easy for everyone to try and these factors will ultimately reduce sales.

One the subject of pre-orders, PSVR has done exceptionally well in this respect, my local GAME store in the UK are fully booked out to phase 5 on pre-orders at this time (Phase's 1,2 and 3 and guaranteed day one release, I am in Phase 1) with other pre-orders not being promised before Christmas 2016 and that is as of right now, demand will only increase aswell.

Edit:

This is why I urged people who had PSVR pre-ordered to consider their actions carefully if they was thinking of cancelling, you see the thing is they might not have been able to get their hands on another for 3 months or so but either way they would have had to wake up on Thursday knowing other people were playing on PSVR and that they wasn't...

They can always sell it on e-bay for what they paid for it if they disliked it after all.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

That is the problem, as I think BillyHorrible said so previously, the main weaknesses of PSVR are that it is not cheap and also not easy for everyone to try and these factors will ultimately reduce sales.

One the subject of pre-orders, PSVR has done exceptionally well in this respect, my local GAME store in the UK are fully booked out to phase 5 on pre-orders at this time (Phase's 1,2 and 3 and guaranteed day one release, I am in Phase 1) with other pre-orders not being promised before Christmas 2016 and that is as of right now, demand will only increase aswell.

Yeah I remember saying something along those lines, then again I'm saying so much on the subject... :D

The point of the Sony guy I was referring to was more along the lines of "we need people to get to try VR before they dismiss it because seeing videos about it is completely different from actually wearing and seeing VR yourself", but of course the price tag is also a reason why many people dismiss it right away. It really needs to be seen as the purchase of a new console in my eyes.

I'm reminded of something personell said at the PlayStation VR Experience event... They said that the definitive VR headset would have better graphics than the one I was wearing. I called bullshit on it at the time, decided I was going to expect exactly what they were showing me and nothing more (it's not like personell at these events are PlayStation experts, of course, they're just college teens with a part-time job, repeating what they've been told - Batman Arkham VR a "secret" game that hasn't been revealed? Yeah right). Right now, I'm starting to think I can't really wrap my head around what a massive worldwide project this PSVR thing is. Not only do they have to supply a huge number of stores with an even bigger number of headsets, but they're also going to tour many countries with these events to get people to try VR... Makes sense that they would just use an older headset for these events that they can't sell anyway.

The pre-orders has been sold out in the game store I frequent (as well as its brothers across the country) as well. Some stores in Holland still seem to have pre-orders for thursday available though, either that or they're not honestly telling that they won't have enough available.

Jim Sterling did a very good video discussing VR, and I've got to say, I agree with a lot of what he says.

He calls VR headsets "privilege goggles" and there's some truth to it. First of all you need a lot of money to buy one of these things, and that doesn't even the count the console or powerful PC you need to run it. You need a lot of space for it to function properly which is something many gamers don't have the luxury of having. Then it excludes people with disabilities, eye problems, people prone to motion sickness, etc. These are huge barriers to entry for many people. And let's say you do pass all of these checks, what exactly do you get? A bunch of tech demos and short games with no real substance. Even if you did get longer games down the road, from what I've been hearing, VR is very taxing on you and makes you feel sick after too long. You won't be able to pay games in VR for anywhere near the amount of time you will a traditional game. With that all in mind, I just don't see how VR will take off. Not in gaming, anyway. It's more for the privileged few than the mainstream. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road, but to me, it seems like a gimmick in its current form.

• Like 3

Jim Sterling did a very good video discussing VR, and I've got to say, I agree with a lot of what he says.

https://youtu.be/7_h6GYI8ddA

He calls VR headsets "privilege goggles" and there's some truth to it. First of all you need a lot of money to buy one of these things, and that doesn't even the count the console or powerful PC you need to run it. You need a lot of space for it to function properly which is something many gamers don't have the luxury of having. Then it excludes people with disabilities, eye problems, people prone to motion sickness, etc. These are huge barriers to entry for many people. And let's say you do pass all of these checks, what exactly do you get? A bunch of tech demos and short games with no real substance. Even if you did get longer games down the road, from what I've been hearing, VR is very taxing on you and makes you feel sick after too long. You won't be able to pay games in VR for anywhere near the amount of time you will a traditional game. With that all in mind, I just don't see how VR will take off. Not in gaming, anyway. It's more for the privileged few than the mainstream. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road, but to me, it seems like a gimmick in its current form.

If you've looked at that one then you should look at his video specifically on PlayStation VR as well. He's got a lot of positive things to say about it compared to the other headsets. An important one is that you can play most of its games sitting down and with a normal controller, this negates a lot of the points you're trying to make.

I think i speak for a lot of people when I say that VR seems incredible and i'm sure it has AMAZING potential. But maybe right now there isn't that fully fledged VR game that would make me purchase the VR set. Though that Batman Arkham VR looks so awesome.

Unfortunately, though Batman seems to be well made it also seems to be the shortest and "tech demo"-iest experience, with many reviewers complaining that it's even shorter than they were expecting.

Several reviewers have also pointed out that the AAA devs are wasting time trying to find the do's and don'ts of VR while indie devs have about a year, maybe two, of experience programming for the PC VRs and have already figured out a lot of this stuff.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Great video and post.  

I won't be picking VR up whatsoever as it would end up being a giant waste of money for me and would just gather dust in a corner somewhere.  There are some regular games that give me motion sickness, migraines and subsequently episodes of vertigo (usually it's because of the FOV - No Man's Sky was quite possibly the worst for this) and VR only exacerbates those feelings for me...even in a sitting down position, and I'm not prepared to medicate.  Do I feel like I'm missing out?  Not at all as there are absolutely zero VR games that interest me.

• Like 1

If you've looked at that one then you should look at his video specifically on PlayStation VR as well. He's got a lot of positive things to say about it compared to the other headsets. An important one is that you can play most of its games sitting down and with a normal controller, this negates a lot of the points you're trying to make.

The video is absolutely correct though and just because you don't get motion sickness when sitting down doesn't mean others don't.  I know people who can't even play normal games because they suffer from it badly.  I even suffer from it if a game I am playing has a certain amount of motion blur.  A lot of what the video said was true though and is the stuff you are constantly pointing out, that it is made for short and pointless games (seriously, you think those are good arguement points that will get us to side with you? Those games are a waste of money to the good majority of us).  That to some of us just isn't good enough and if they can't make VR to be comfortable playing with some longer games then that clearly means it still isn't ready for releasing yet and just proves it will be a fad that will be popular for a year or 2 and then people will drop it like it was nothing.  It is not the future of gaming.

• Like 2

No, that negates one of the points if that. You still need a lot of room otherwise the PlayStation camera won't be able to track the headset properly. It doesn't matter if you're sitting down or not. For a lot games, you also need to be waving your arms about with PlayStation Move. Not saying all games require PlayStation Move, but considering how few games are available on PSVR, restricting yourself to games that only use the Dualshock will leave you with even less things to do. Besides, for the "true VR experience" you need two Move controllers which is more money you need to spend. Speaking of, what you said still doesn't negate the barriers to entry such as cost and health problems that many people face.

Great video and post.  

I won't be picking VR up whatsoever as it would end up being a giant waste of money for me and would just gather dust in a corner somewhere.  There are some regular games that give me motion sickness, migraines and subsequently episodes of vertigo (usually it's because of the FOV - No Man's Sky was quite possibly the worst for this) and VR only exacerbates those feelings for me...even in a sitting down position, and I'm not prepared to medicate.  Do I feel like I'm missing out?  Not at all as there are absolutely zero VR games that interest me.

Hehe, thanks! :)

I totally agree with you there. If I bought PSVR, it would feel like a giant waste of money. Like you, there are no games for PSVR that really interest me at the moment. Even ones that do interest me slightly would probably get boring after an hour or so. Spending that much money for a piece of unproven tech that will go unused for the most part doesn't sound like a wise investment to me, especially when Sony has proven in the past that it will ditch things at the first sign of trouble. I don't usually have problems with motion sickness and stuff, but I know it would be different for PSVR. Play any VR games for too long and you'll eventually start feeling sick or tired, it's just a matter of when you reach that point that varies from person to person. Like motion controls, this just isn't how I want to play games. Give me a controller and a TV screen, and I'll be totally fine, thank you. :P

• Like 2

The video is absolutely correct though and just because you don't get motion sickness when sitting down doesn't mean others don't. I know people who can't even play normal games because they suffer from it badly. I even suffer from it if a game I am playing has a certain amount of motion blur. A lot of what the video said was true though and is the stuff you are constantly pointing out, that it is made for short and pointless games (seriously, you think those are good arguement points that will get us to side with you? Those games are a waste of money to the good majority of us). That to some of us just isn't good enough and if they can't make VR to be comfortable playing with some longer games then that clearly means it still isn't ready for releasing yet and just proves it will be a fad that will be popular for a year or 2 and then people will drop it like it was nothing. It is not the future of gaming.

I was not talking about motion sickness because that is still a valid point (and I said so in an earlier discussion with you), but it does undercut the "much space needed" and "not for people with disabilities" arguments and the like. I was pointing to a different video by the very same author, which also has a lot of good points, both for and against PSVR...

You're trying to put words in my mouth that I never used. I never called games "pointless", that's just your opinion and trying to make it sound like I said so is insulting. I also never talked about short games only. I talked about playing in short intervals, either by playing a short game or pausing a long game from time to time to stand up and walk around a bit, at least for a while until you've fully accustomed to VR. Even with regular gaming, people are saying that you should pause for fifteen minutes every hour, I'm only saying that that is even more true for VR gaming, in any case at first. I also never call it the future of faming, I've continuously said that it will be a side track and gaming without VR will be the main road, though I have said that VR is something many have fantasised about for decades and won't just go away now.

Honestly, I'm not trying to get people to "side with me", as you're saying. You're over-simplifying my points and even just making stuff up (really, it's very insulting that you talk as if I said that VR is only for "short and pointless" games). All that I wish is that people try out PSVR for themselves before dismissing it, that is literally all that I feel should be said about the subject.

No, that negates one of the points if that. You still need a lot of room otherwise the PlayStation camera won't be able to track the headset properly. It doesn't matter if you're sitting down or not. For a lot games, you also need to be waving your arms about with PlayStation Move. Not saying all games require PlayStation Move, but considering how few games are available on PSVR, restricting yourself to games that only use the Dualshock will leave you with even less things to do. Besides, for the "true VR experience" you need two Move controllers which is more money you need to spend. Speaking of, what you said still doesn't negate the barriers to entry such as cost and health problems that many people face.

Hehe, thanks! :)

I totally agree with you there. If I bought PSVR, it would feel like a giant waste of money. Like you, there are no games for PSVR that really interest me at the moment. Even ones that do interest me slightly would probably get boring after an hour or so. Spending that much money for a piece of unproven tech that will go unused for the most part doesn't sound like a wise investment to me, especially when Sony has proven in the past that it will ditch things at the first sign of trouble. I don't usually have problems with motion sickness and stuff, but I know it would be different for PSVR. Play any VR games for too long and you'll eventually start feeling sick or tired, it's just a matter of when you reach that point that varies from person to person. Like motion controls, this just isn't how I want to play games. Give me a controller and a TV screen, and I'll be totally fine, thank you. :P

See above. Also, yeah it does not refute all the arguments, though it does some. Seeing as the camera tracks the lights on the headset, you really don't need much room. I've played eight VR games now and all but one (Batman) could be played while sitting still in a chair with the dualshock. And Batman could be played while standing still in one spot.

Yes not using move restricts the choices a bit but not by much, and if limited number of games is an issue then you should think there's not enough games out even with the move games added, and you'd be better off waiting for a while, just like at the start of a new console.

I agree that even if you already own a PS4 (good chance if you're on this forum though), but it's much, much less than you'll need to play VR on PC (and those really require standing and much space for their games).

What bothers me the most, I guess, is that many people discard VR without having tried it. People harshly talk about it as a stupid fad even though there are enough people on this site alone that are excited about it and want to get it right away. It's mostly opinionated stuff in the end, can't we respect each other's view enough to wish people wanting VR the best, even if we don't want it ourselves, without talking down about it?

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

What bothers me the most, I guess, is that many people discard VR without having tried it. People harshly talk about it as a stupid fad even though there are enough people on this site alone that are excited about it and want to get it right away. It's mostly opinionated stuff in the end, can't we respect each other's view enough to wish people wanting VR the best, even if we don't want it ourselves, without talking down about it?

The problem with naysayers is that regardless of what words are spoken they will only hear the ones that they want to hear.

• Like 2

I haven't seen the video but I believe the main win of PSVR is the price and that's why he was doing a positive commentary on it.

Both Vive and Rift are, let's be frank, technically above PSVR but, the price for that is the cost of the product and the fact that only rich kids are going to be testers for the first generation.

Anyway, I actually see all the negative points mentioned as something that could be used. For the first time, we have something that we don't particularly need to own. VR is a peripheral you only use for a short period of time. This could potentially attract business of gaming cafe/restaurants where VR could be for renting :D

In fact, this would be the best thing that could happen. Players would have a chance to experience the first generation and the subsequent generations could be made with players' experience. 

Maybe I should actually do it for reals? :awesome:

The problem with naysayers is that regardless of what words are spoken they will only hear the ones that they want to hear.

That goes both ways you know. If you're happy and excited about VR that's great, glad it's something you're hyped for. Not everyone is though and they should be able to express their opinion as well. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen the video but I believe the main win of PSVR is the price and that's why he was doing a positive commentary on it.

Both Vive and Rift are, let's be frank, technically above PSVR but, the price for that is the cost of the product and the fact that only rich kids are going to be testers for the first generation.

Anyway, I actually see all the negative points mentioned as something that could be used. For the first time, we have something that we don't particularly need to own. VR is a peripheral you only use for a short period of time. This could potentially attract business of gaming cafe/restaurants where VR could be for renting :D

In fact, this would be the best thing that could happen. Players would have a chance to experience the first generation and the subsequent generations could be made with players' experience. 

Apparently a "sports bar" VR game is already a thing so I don't see why we can't turn it around and have a place where people spend a few bucks to play VR. It could be like the old arcade halls, only we have all separate pods where we go into VR instead of standing at an arcade booth next to one another.

... damnit, The Matrix is going to happen, isn't it?

I've thought about something like this before. I feel like VR could revitalise arcades, or like you said, be used in gaming cafe's and restaurants. I mean arcades used to give people the chance to play things that weren't possible on home consoles. I could see VR doing the same thing. It's something that's too expensive, and requires too much space to have in most peoples homes, but that's not a problem if you're only "renting" it for a short amount of time. Since VR games tend to be shorter experiences too, it's perfect for arcades and what not. It would also be able to provide a much better experience without space and cost limitations. Think something like this:

I'd support you. xD

• Like 1

Apparently a "sports bar" VR game is already a thing so I don't see why we can't turn it around and have a place where people spend a few bucks to play VR. It could be like the old arcade halls, only we have all separate pods where we go into VR instead of standing at an arcade booth next to one another.

... damnit, The Matrix is going to happen, isn't it?

I've thought about something like this before. I feel like VR could revitalise arcades, or like you said, be used in gaming cafe's and restaurants. I mean arcades used to give people the chance to play things that weren't possible on home consoles. I could see VR doing the same thing. It's something that's too expensive, and requires too much space to have in most peoples homes, but that's not a problem if you're only "renting" it for a short amount of time. Since VR games tend to be shorter experiences too, it's perfect for arcades and what not. It would also be able to provide a much better experience without space and cost limitations. Think something like this:

And what do you know, we have something we agree on =D

Now if only Arcades realize it =D

• Like 1

Not sure if it has been posted already but Playstation posted a video series on how to set up the PSVR properly.

EDIT: The tutorials are pretty funny too :P

Even though i'm not getting one myself, i'm pretty excited to see what people think of it.

Edited by xZoneHunter