Only 18 for a Plat?

FOX-MIND

I was watching a stream, forgot which one it was, they were playing a variety of VR games on the PS4 and this was one of them. From the video it looks very.. dizzy/nauseating/etc.. although the person who had the VR headset on and everything said surprisingly the game didn't bother him at all. He briefly explained some of the controls of the game.. although, I'm still confused as to how the heck you play this.

• Like 1

Weird that small games like this and Playroom get a platinum but stuff like Batman does not. 

Lol. Batman is a lot shorter than this game...

Level 1 has 15 sub levels. Level 2 has 22 sub levels. Level 3 has 26 sub levels. There is a lot to do in Thumper. And it is hard. Very hard :(

To what extent can devs decide if they want a platinum trophy for their game?

It's not only up to the devs. Sony has some sort of criteria for "small scope" and "large scope" games, only the latter will be allowed to have a plat. It's weird because there are so many inconsistencies. 

There was a dev commenting on a NeoGaf thread a while back, when Outlast came out without a plat. Unfortunately, he didn't go into too much detail as to what a game has to do to be either large or small scope according to Sony, but his comments are here if you want to see them. Look out for the commenter called KennyLinder. 

Lol. Batman is a lot shorter than this game...

Level 1 has 15 sub levels. Level 2 has 22 sub levels. Level 3 has 26 sub levels. There is a lot to do in Thumper. And it is hard. Very hard :(

I did not know that a level was so long, kind of like it would be a "world" it seems then...

Well Batman can't be shorter than Playroom though, that's just four or five mini-games...

It's not only up to the devs. Sony has some sort of criteria for "small scope" and "large scope" games, only the latter will be allowed to have a plat. It's weird because there are so many inconsistencies. 

There was a dev commenting on a NeoGaf thread a while back, when Outlast came out without a plat. Unfortunately, he didn't go into too much detail as to what a game has to do to be either large or small scope according to Sony, but his comments are here if you want to see them. Look out for the commenter called KennyLinder.

Personally I don't care that much about trophies, but the weirdness bothers me. It's like when Telltale's Walking Dead S1 and S2 came out for PS4 and one did not get a platinum while the other did get one.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can get the S Rank trophies just by S Ranking the individual sections or if you have to S Rank every sublevel in one continuous play for it to count? Seems like that'll make the difference between an 8/10 and a 10/10.

Edited by Asuna Kagurazaka

I read that thread, and Mr. Linder actually doesn't say very much. Sure, he mentions large scope and small scope, but his details are sketchy at best.

Anyway, I hope VR isn't full of a bunch of games like that. It reminds me of the VR equivalent of those awful 3-D movies that came out in the 80s. I hope that most VR titles are immersive in atmosphere, rather than a who,e bunch of bright colors that woukd be better suited to some tech demo.

• Like 1

I just played through level 1 and got an S rank on all but one section. Overall got an A. It looks like you'll have to get S across all sections.

I did notice that if you die and restart a section, it is possible to get an S on the section you restarted.

Not only that, but you can pause and choose restart from last checkpoint and also get an S on a section. In general, it seems that not making a mistake will get an S. You don't need to get perfect turns but you need to hit all notes and not crash at all.