PSVR - do NOT buy!

antithesis

PS4 were disappointing at launch

Speak for yourself please. I've loved PS4 since launch. No problems with it at all. And anyone still disappointed in Vita, needs to move on already. It's current year, not late 2013. Time to readjust your expectations of a niche console and stop being perpetually disappointed that it doesn't magically have exclusive AAA western games.

And it's just generally strange you would start off saying that people are naive, and have "high expectations" and then list a bunch of things that are disappointing. You usually end up disappointed by having high expectations. I had reasonable ones for PS4, and was happy with it. I got over my disappointment of Vita ages ago, because it came out ages ago and now just enjoy it for what it is. And at launch I wasn't disappointed in it anyway. PS3 was just a mess, objectively. No proper dev tools, yet the system came out.. gg Sony.

• Like 1

I stated when Project Morpheus was announced years ago that I'd take one for the team, just as I did with day one PS4 and XB1 purchases.

I've done that again for PSVR and it wasn't good. I can honestly say that I'm glad I returned it and tossed the cash into the PS4 Pro instead. Consider that me taking another one for the team.

Oh yay, can't wait for your trash / praise thread when that releases. Please do also mention how bad the PS Vita is and also how the PS1 can't make coffee. What even is this disappointing hardware? It's 2016 bloody hell Sony. IF PS5 doesn't have a built in cappuccino machine as well as a breakfast-on-the-go-maker with an all in one PC on the controller I am honestly going to be SO DONE.

Oh so you already no longer have your PSVR?

Oooooo k k and k.

That only goes to show how bad the PSVR experience is. I figured I'd get it back to the store before Sony started blocking returns.

Again, it's not the software, it's the hardware to blame.

Oh yay, can't wait for your trash / praise thread when that releases. Please do also mention how bad the PS Vita is and also how the PS1 can't make coffee. What even is this disappointing hardware? It's 2016 bloody hell Sony. IF PS5 doesn't have a built in cappuccino machine as well as a breakfast-on-the-go-maker with an all in one PC on the controller I am honestly going to be SO DONE.

Here's my super-secret PSVR review, just for you. It's really, really good. Don't hesitate, buy now. You won't regret it. :tumbleweed:

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Ok, I got my PSVR all hooked up and I can categorically & absolutely recommend that you DO NOT BUY this piece of sh!t. It's fucking awful.

Remember when you were a kid and you sat WAAAYYY too close to the old CRT screen and you could see the pixels clear as day while everything else was washed out and muddy. That's PSVR.

Everything looks blurry and smudged and I need to pull the screen right up to the point where they're colliding with my glasses. I don't think wearing glasses is the problem, it'll look like shit for everyone - the resolution may be 1080p, but it makes everything look like 480p.

The nose flaps are bloody annoying too and the headband is a sweat magnet.

Regular games and movies look like crap. VR's a slight improvement because you need to look around to see the otherwise equally blurry and smudged crap on-screen.

I'm taking these back. Day one buy. Day one return. If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!

Thanks for letting me know about this. i'll use it as a future reference for whether or not i should ever get it.  :)

Edited by Skeptical69

I would advise you to do some more research before getting a Vive... PSVR has an RGB screen while Vive and Rift use PenTile. RGB has three subpixels per pixel while PenTile has only two, meaning PSVR has less pixels but more subpixels. PSVR actually looks a bit better because of that, and more importantly, it lacks the screen door effect that the other two systems do have.

Just pixel count is not knowledge enough, hope this info helps.

I'm all about research baby. I won't be buying a Vive, I just want to demo it to see if the competing VR systems are equally poor.

A large part of the problem is the PS4 is simply too underpowered to deliver compelling VR, hence the mid-generation Pro revision to try to close the gorge between what we want and what Sony can do with VR. That effectively doubles the cost-of-entry for PSVR, or condemns it to a quite obviously second-rate experience if Sony instructs developers not to scale their games to the hardware (a BIG mistake for the PS4 Pro).

PC doesn't experience that problem as VR will scale with the hardware. Problem is I ditched PC gaming and have no intention of spending the amount of dough I'd need to invest to get optimal VR.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Ok, I got my PSVR all hooked up and I can categorically & absolutely recommend that you DO NOT BUY this piece of sh!t. It's fucking awful.

I've been burnt with the PS MOVE before with all that was promised and the crap games that came out with it. As for the PSVR.....One should absolutely not buy it on day 1 unless you have experienced it yourself with a demo or something of that sorts and you enjoyed it. What I've seen and heard it doesn't sound too promising. I could be wrong but it's a no buy for me. Just give me a normal PS4 or PS3 controller and my screen and I'm happy

Garden Warfare, not Modern Warfare. The one with Plants and Zombies :) It has cartoony graphics that don't push the hardware too hard. Bright, blurry and washed out is just how cinema mode seems to look. I tried to tweak my video settings but nothing improved it.

I quoted this and the rest of your post earlier, wanted to say I misread because I had just woken up and then I went and forgot to actually write that down while I commented on the rest... It really was too early :D Anyway, I never was a fan of the P&Z graphics. Stuff like Bound (which is very blocky anyway), Here We Soar (which looked great but didn't have to push anything) and Batman (which only uses small settings and looks awesome) work the best for me.

I got to try one at EGX in 2015. I also noticed the pixels at first, but once I let my eyes focus on the 3D effect and wasn't actively looking for the pixels, I couldn't really see them. 

If it's bothering you tho, then sure you should try and return it or trade it in.

P.S.A. If you're in the EU or UK, I'd recommend you buy your PSVR online. Then if you find you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund no questions asked provided you do so within a reasonable time (maximum 2 weeks or so) and the product is still in good condition. These distance selling regulations don't apply if you buy in store. I dunno if other territories have similar rules about online selling. 

I don't mean to be dissrepectful but i am very surprised by the amount of 'Thanks for the heads up' kind of replies based on one persons experience.

It is as though that one persons opinion is the gospel and that's that...

If people do not like it or do not want it then that's perfectly fine, but to be completely tilted in one direction by one persons opinion in an online forum seems a bit hasty in the least.

Very much this, great post!

Make a decision based on your OWN experiences, if I listened to reviewers or random people on the internet, I'd never buy anything!  

It's all a matter of agreeing with the few people who try it and don't like it, and ignoring the people who like it, really.

I just started and if anything the VR seems to be even clearer than what I've tried a month ago. Just watched Allumette and it's so weird, watching a movie and actually being able to walk around the characters... Not regretting this buy one bit. Hope Bound finishes downloading soon!

• Like 4

So mine is ready to be collected from the local DPD dropoff point, this thread has kind of taken the excitement out of it for me and am now weighing up whether to not open it and send straight back as Shopto won't take orders back if they have been unsealed. Really in 2 minds now!

Whilst I would not want to dismiss one person's experience it seems like the you only tried a few demos rather than anything built from the ground up in for VR. This makes a huge difference to the experience. Also aspects like watching movies or the game cinema mode are not what this really about.

Did you consider that you may have had a faulty unit? I saw that some of the major sites had similar issues to you and found they had faulty units [itself not a great situation of course]. GiantBomb seemed to attract a lot of attention for their somewhat disastrous launch stream but more recent comments suggest that they had a lot of set up issues and the experiences they are having a home are a lot better. If those guys had technical / setup issues it is quite possible you did as well. 

• Like 1

I don't mean to be dissrepectful but i am very surprised by the amount of 'Thanks for the heads up' kind of replies based on one persons experience.

It is as though that one persons opinion is the gospel and that's that...

If people do not like it or do not want it then that's perfectly fine, but to be completely tilted in one direction by one persons opinion in an online forum seems a bit hasty in the least.

Well that is the point of a critic to tell people what they think and the reader themselves to form an opinion based on that review. Also what is wrong with people forming that kind of opinion, it is their right to one and it isn't hurting you in any form.

As I stated this before in a previous thread, I always do research on the product that I have interest in buying from watching gameplay videos, reading reviews from multiple trusted critics, listening to normal people who have the product and sometimes waiting after the product is out to see how it fairs, then after I gather all the evidence then I make my decision. In my fifteen years of gaming, I have been disappointed only twice (Sonic the Hedgehog Unleashed and Dragon Ball Z Sagas) and dodge four bullets by getting off the hype train in time (Battlefield 4, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, Assassins Creed Unity, EA's Star Wars Battlefront). 

I am right now still gathering evidence on PSVR, there are some pros and cons to device and I want to find out more stuff about it.

So mine is ready to be collected from the local DPD dropoff point, this thread has kind of taken the excitement out of it for me and am now weighing up whether to not open it and send straight back as Shopto won't take orders back if they have been unsealed. Really in 2 minds now!

I suggest you ignore everyone here because it has become a Comment War with one side Blindly Bashing the PSVR and the other Blindly Praising the PSVR. Both sides will try to convince you to think their way. Go watch some gameplay videos, read some different reviews from multiple people, see what types of games are coming that might interest you and then try to come up with a decision based on the evidence you gathered. 

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 3

Keep it and try it out. This is just a few people's opinions. You can always pass it on to another gamer for a cheaper prize. Received mine and like the one above me, I tried the PS VR at an event. I knew what to expect since I tried the other virtual reality headsets and my expectations weren't that high. I don't regret buying it as it is much cheaper and has better games, but I'm really looking forward to VR in 4k.

As for this thread, remember that these are opinions of individual gamers. Who knows? Maybe your experience with it will be totally different. It all comes down to expectations, and let's face it. You're quite injudicious if you had high quality expectations for the PS VR.

• Like 1

I suggest you ignore everyone here because it has become a Comment War with one side Blindly Bashing the PSVR and the other Blindly Praising the PSVR. Both sides will try to convince you to think their way. Go watch some gameplay videos, read some different reviews from multiple people, see what types of games are coming that might interest you and then try to come up with a decision based on the evidence you gathered. 

Better yet, see if you can try it out somewhere. That doesn't help people who are doubting about buying it right now, I know, but I advise anyone who truly wonders, to see if they can try it at a store or a friend's house. VR really is a weird thing, and watching a video is not enough to really appreciate what has been done. As David Attenborough has stated (paraphrasing), you put on VR, hear something behind you, you realise you can turn around and see what made that sound, and suddenly you are immersed.

I get that there are people who don't like or want VR, I really do. I do believe though that anyone who wants to truly be able to comment, should have given it a few tries in different settings.

• Like 2

At least half of those complaints were inevitable. I appreciate and respect Sony fans but some are just downright super naive. And to have high expectations at launch is very, generally ignorant. PS3 and PS4 were disappointing at launch. Vita is just indefinely disappointing, objectively (few great games doesnt save a system, neither does close-to-dead support, its popularity being carried by one genre.. which so happens to be one if the most played and love, etc).

I have never understood this talk about how any of them are bad or good or disappointing or even saved in whatever way. I had a day one ps3, I still have my day one ps4 and I have a vita. I love them all.

My day one 60 GB fat ps3 lasted for 7 years (I changed the hard drive after 5 years). The vita has two bad pixels after 3 years. The ps4 still works. What's the problem ...

To me, story has and always will trump game play, which in turn will always trump graphics. I hardly care about graphics. To each his/her own of course.

Games you like might come in due time, or they won't. At start, the ps3 had one great game in my opinion: enchanted arms. I still think it's one of the best ps3 games so far. I bought the ps3 because my ps2 died just before the ps3 launch.

At start the ps4 had zero games I liked. Not that I cared, I had some new stuff to play. And games I'd like on the ps4 would come eventually. By the time they did, I was ready with my ps4 to play them.

The vita is giving exactly what I wanted from it. A way to pass the time during travel, in waiting rooms and on the toilet.

And with ps plus I get to play a wide variety of games. Most aren't to my taste and some are. But it has broadened my game experience a lot. And with a day one ps4 I could play the early ps4 plus games as well. Which is part of why I got a day one ps4. Don't go bashing about plus being good or bad or whatever. I don't care either way and to me it's mainly a good way to play games I would otherwise ignore completely. And sometimes I come across a game with plus I would have ignored but which I actually liked a lot.

If I were to get a PSVR this month, it would be with the same intention. To broaden my gaming experience, and maybe have some enjoyment as well. Games I like will come eventually, and most are merely to pass the time.

• Like 3

I have my PSVR all hooked up right now and here is my brief experience of the first 30 minutes (which includes setting it all up).

Firstly all of the cables I would need are supplied including an additional HDMI cable (you need 2 in total).

All of the cables are numbered clearly and in the large setup book it shows very simple instructions on what goes where, it really is self explanatory but still took me about 15 minutes in total to do it all.

I will say that I found I sweated a little with the head set on, and this caused a little condensation which in turn made my screen hazy and out of focus, after wiping the lens with the supplied cleaning cloth it was ok, but I do feel like this might be an occasional issue for me and perhaps other people too, especially those is warmer climates.

Onto the game itself, just like my experience when I played a demo back in August I was knocked sideways, it is completely surreal finding yourself in a world that is not where you are actually sat.

Back to the game (Summer Lesson)...

Edited by JapanimeGamer