PSVR - Week One Game thoughts

AffectatiousDonk

Amalette - I think that's how it's spelled.

Allumette. We can also call it

The Little Match Girl, which this is an adaptation of.

I did not copy the rest of your post because of the length but good to hear you're getting so much fun out of the demo games.

One thing that I start to see is how everybody is amazed by the Deep Sea stuff in VR Worlds. I think that's weird since the first thing I got at the PSVR experience was a short introduction of the Deep Sea stuff - just sitting and looking so I could get used to the concept - and it wasn't that appealing to me at all. I'm starting to wonder if the actual demo and game actually look a lot better than what I have seen... or if I have just seen too many 4D movies and not having my chair rocked when the shark attacks the cage just ruins it for me now.

It's true, the Ocean Descent experience is great for non gamers, have had a few friends over in the last few days and they have all been blown away by it.

I'm going to post some more experiences in a few days but I have noticed my tolerance is improving each day. I managed a full 30 mins of Driveclub tonight. Today also saw some Hatsune Miku VR and Rez. I'm only getting about 90 mins a day but really enjoying it.

Thought I'd post it here as well - has anybody played EVE Gunjack yet?

I played the EVE Valkyrie demo and enjoyed it but I'm not into multiplayer so I will ignore that game for now. Gunjack is single player though and only €8 for PS+ members (20% off)... I might just get it but I'd feel more comfortable with some user comments first.

I'm back with thoughts on 3 demos I tried this morning.

Harmonix - I had a lot of fun with this. The dance party was a little gimmicky and I wasn't massively invested in the beach scene, up the artist level with the PlayStation move controllers was brilliant. I could probably spend hours there list ring to my music and making creations. Will definitely pick this up if it's a good price for that level alone.

Driveclub - very interesting for the most part. I love racing games, I've just finished Forza Horizon 3 which is crazy good, so the idea of a VR driving game sounded promising. The spectator view looking around the street at the car was great and being in driving seat was awesome. I didn't have too much issue with the racing, came first, was easy enough. I did find however if I looked around in my mirrors enough I started to get a little headache. Will have to give it another try.

Here they Lie - I couldn't handle this game for multiple reasons. First of all the thing shit me up big time. I got hacked to death my a pig man and it really frightened me when he was standing behind me. That aside however, the controllers made me feel very sick. Probably to do with the issue of the character walking but I wasn't. Not for me I don't think as I have a low tolerance level for horror. Question on this, those who've played it, based on my experience, should I avoid rush of blood and the kitchen?

Thought I'd post it here as well - has anybody played EVE Gunjack yet?

I'm also interested in this. I've bought Valkyrie but not tried it yet but gun jack is only £8 and looks a lot more casual and single player (perfect for me).

Next up I'm going to try the Valkyrie demo (i have the full game but will try the demo too), Rigs and job simulator.

Here they Lie - I couldn't handle this game for multiple reasons. First of all the thing shit me up big time. I got hacked to death my a pig man and it really frightened me when he was standing behind me. That aside however, the controllers made me feel very sick. Probably to do with the issue of the character walking but I wasn't. Not for me I don't think as I have a low tolerance level for horror. Question on this, those who've played it, based on my experience, should I avoid rush of blood and the kitchen?

I'm also interested in this. I've bought Valkyrie but not tried it yet but gun jack is only £8 and looks a lot more casual and single player (perfect for me).

Next up I'm going to try the Valkyrie demo (i have the full game but will try the demo too), Rigs and job simulator.

Here They Lie: I was annoyed by the slow walking speed myself. The demo did not scare me at all, I saw the pigman behind me as a shadow but I kept on walking (because the way the controls worked it would have taken me too long to turn around anyway) and nothing happened to me. I think the graphics are pretty ugly though.

Gunjack: I just went ahead and bought it :) will post my thoughts later. Personally I figured, with VR being new and not many games being released yet, I could stand to put a few euros in a small experience that seems unlike the other games already out. I enjoyed the Valkyrie demo after all even if I am not interested in that game because I don't like multiplayer.

Eve Valkryie

Out of everything I have played this is the first " complete " game experience I have had so far. Spent about 90 mins completing training missions and just starting to level up in online play. The cockpit layout, graphics and audio really leave you feeling completely immersed in the experience. The flying and shooting seem responsive, and the challenge maintaining a lockon on other spacecraft is definitely real. There also seems to be quite a deep upgrade system tied to in game currency and XP. There does seem to be micro transactions to give XP boosts and possible equipment boosts. There is a story mode but the online multiplayer was far to distracting for me last night, alot of fun, the time really disappeared on me. The fixed cockpit around your character and the use of the L1/R1 buttons to level out your spacecraft really help in keeping the experience smooth and didn't suffer from any queasy feelings. Obviously need to spend alot more time in the game to formulate a proper opinion but I feel happy with the content I have seen/tried so far in this title.

I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts after playing the game more, so far this is the only VR game that interests me.

I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts after playing the game more, so far this is the only VR game that interests me.

Why aren't you interested in Summer Lesson? :/

Or in Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes...

I get it though, you're probably looking for big games. Personally I don't mind as I have turend to a bunch of the smaller experiences. Robinson is the first "big" game I'm interested in, and Ace Combat is next on the list.

On Gunjack: played seven missions or thereabouts (out of twenty) and I'm enjoying it, it's just a simple arcade shooter (as expected) but it really delivers on the arcade action.

I don't see the appeal of playing games in Japanese while not understanding anything.

Or in Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes...

I get it though, you're probably looking for big games. Personally I don't mind as I have turend to a bunch of the smaller experiences. Robinson is the first "big" game I'm interested in, and Ace Combat is next on the list.

On Gunjack: played seven missions or thereabouts (out of twenty) and I'm enjoying it, it's just a simple arcade shooter (as expected) but it really delivers on the arcade action.

Actually it's the space combats I like in Eve Valkyrie. It doesn't matter if it's a big game or not.

Actually it's the space combats I like in Eve Valkyrie. It doesn't matter if it's a big game or not.

In that case, surely there's another type of game you like that is out for PSVR? Not trying to convince you to buy it, only trying to get you to look at the whole roster :D

I am halfway through now. It is a lot of fun, probably the coolest arcade shooter I've played in the last couple of years.

Personally I'm not a completionist but this game will probably be a burden to people just looking for an easy 100%. I'm not sure when exactly you get the Master ranking but you've got to be pretty good.

This actually makes me wonder if I should get Valkyrie. Not new mind you, but traded for Tomb Raider when I am done with it (or some other game). It's a completely different game I know but it's the same devs, I like their style in sci-fi and if I just trade it, then trade it on again, I could ignore the multiplayer part without feeling bad about it. Also, I need some fix until I get my hands on the X-Wing Mission.

Edited by BillyHorrible

In that case, surely there's another type of game tou like that is out for PSVR? Not trying to convince you to buy it, only trying to get you to look at the whole roster :D

That's very likely, I've only seen some gameplay videos of Eve Valkyrie and Thumber, so haven't checked out the other VR games.

That's very likely, I've only seen some gameplay videos of Eve Valkyrie and Thumber, so haven't checked out the other VR games.

Ah, Valkyrie is your only interest out of all the VR games you've seen stuff of... which is two games. That explains it :D

I actually like how Thumper looks but I admit it's not for everyone. There's other interesting games though, even in this pool of launch stuff.

After spending some time on Summer Lesson, it looks pretty good but not as great as it did at first to me, maybe I am over that first wow moment as I am more used to it now.

I am blown away by PSVR but it really does want the PS4 pro behind it.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I've now "completed" the PSVR demo disc and here are my thoughts on the final few demos.

Wayward Sky - this looks very intriguing. The fact you work around the walking issue by flicking back and fourth between over world and first person was great. I enjoyed what the demo provided and will get this in the future.

Eve: Valkyrie - shortest demo on the planet but was awesome being in the cockpit. I was completely immersed. No motion sickness and the graphics were great. Can't wait to play the full version.

Tumble VR - calm and relaxing puzzle game that could keep me entertained for hours. Lots of different puzzle types. Will get this when the price drops.

Job Simulator - who thought pretending to work in an office was more fun than actually working in the office. I had lots of fun smashing the shit out of my desk and playing with all the various things dotted around. Could be a fun game.

RIGS - fun game but it made me have a headache. Don't think I could handle the whole game, the garage sequence was cool though. Reminded me of a mini Pacific Rim.

Rez Infinite - great game! Had a lot of fun with this reminded me of an old style Tron type game. Would definitely pick this up if the price drops.

Until Dawn - a fun little of the rails arcade shooter that relies a little too much on jump scares. Reminds me of house of the dead.

Now that all the demos are out of the way I'm going to move on to playing the VR games I own which are Eve Valkyrie and Gunjack, Batman and Playroom. Looking forward to them all. The demo disc has helped me however decide which games I will be avoiding and which games I'll be getting over the coming weeks and for Christmas.

Now that all the demos are out of the way I'm going to move on to playing the VR games I own which are Eve Valkyrie and Gunjack, Batman and Playroom.

Good to hear you bought Gunjack as well! I just finished the final mission, there were some awesome moments in the game. Good value for €8. Wish there had been more missions like M10 and M20 though.

I didn't want to know this :/

Ok I should explain more.

At this time I think the game just needs a patch to sharpen it up a bit, some bits look great other bits look less great.

Overall Summer Lesson is a great game, but it is let down by blurry graphics in places.

It is still early and I am sure things will improve, but I do think PS4 Pro will be that big kick up the arse that PSVR needs, and I honestly think this is why PS4 pro will even exist in the first place, forget all that talk about 4k, Sony just didn't want to say that PSVR needs more 'oomph' cos it would have hurt its sales.

To be fair I think we all knew this anyway, if we are honest with ourselves.

Ok I should explain more.

At this time I think the game just needs a patch to sharpen it up a bit, some bits look great other bits look less great.

Overall Summer Lesson is a great game, but it is let down by blurry graphics in places.

It is still early and I am sure things will improve, but I do think PS4 Pro will be that big kick up the arse that PSVR needs, and I honestly think this is why PS4 pro will even exist in the first place, forget all that talk about 4k, Sony just didn't want to say that PSVR needs more 'oomph' cos it would have hurt its sales.

To be fair I think we all knew this anyway, if we are honest with ourselves.

What you said is actually the most worrying thing.

I have no intention of buying PS4KHDRPRO because it plays on power and graphics, something I don't give a crap about, but if even game like this does not run optimally on PS4 Amateur, chances of me getting PSVR drop significantly.

It should not put you off at all.

Because i do feel that Sony's long term plans for PSVR and the graphic intensive games that will likely come out will require the PS4 pro, i do believe that.

But, games like Summer lesson probably won't benefit from that, i think this game just needs a patch to sharpen it up, it is not lacking in power it is lacking in refinement.

I would say PSVR is the best thing i have bought in many years and i completely reccomend it to people, but i think realistically it will want the PS4 pro powering it at some point and like I said I think Sony know this and also games developers too, and this is why it is coming next month.

Do get PSVR, it is insane as it is... but in time to get the most out of it we might need to upgrade PS4's... that's my honest opinion.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I do feel like quality of graphics does not only depend on size of the game but also on the devs.

I played the Here They Lie demo and it was a pixellated mess. The horizon in Driveclub was awful, but the backgrounds in Gunjack were beautiful, if a bit obviously 2D paintings and not 3D models. The Moto Racer 4 demo had pixel mess all around while EVE Valkyrie can handle speed without issue. Bots in The Playroom look very slick, Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes has graphics that are not pushing any boundaries but work perfectly for the game...

Personally, with the hit and miss of these demos I am kind of afraid to buy a VR game before I have tried it, or any other VR game from the same devs. Luckily I tried and liked Batman and Thumper so I have two purchases lined up already.

I totally agree about Here they lie and Drive club, and just when i thought it couldnt get worse than Drive club Here they lie pops up, it is shockingly bad... it is not PSVR doing this as you rightly say Eve Valkyrie looks amazing and plays really fluidly with no slow down at all.

Some of these demo's are that bad that I ask myself why would Sony even want to showcase them...

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Ah, Valkyrie is your only interest out of all the VR games you've seen stuff of... which is two games. That explains it :D

I actually like how Thumper looks but I admit it's not for everyone. There's other interesting games though, even in this pool of launch stuff.

Yeah, I'll be checking out some other VR games. Thumper definitely isn't for me, the combination of high speed and bright colours make my eyes hurt after watching for 30 seconds. I'll be staying away from that game :lol:.

Yeah, I'll be checking out some other VR games. Thumper definitely isn't for me, the combination of high speed and bright colours make my eyes hurt after watching for 30 seconds. I'll be staying away from that game :lol:.

Oh right, I remember that conversation now :) I don't mind the speed, and how it looks and works on the eyes makes me want to get it even more! :D

Try to check out everything, even the ones you've heard nothing about. There's some hidden gems in there.

Oh right, I remember that conversation now :) I don't mind the speed, and how it looks and works on the eyes makes me want to get it even more! :D

Try to check out everything, even the ones you've heard nothing about. There's some hidden gems in there.

Lol, good luck with it.

Sure thing, I'll do that :D. Anything you recommend to check out first?

Kitchen demo would be one i would recommend anyone try. I also thought Until dawn Rush of blood was very good, as was Rez and EVE Valkyrie.

Would not recommend Here they lie or Drive club demo's I honestly think if someone saw those as their first experience it could put them off PSVR right away.

Edited by JapanimeGamer