PSVR - Week One Game thoughts

AffectatiousDonk

Sure thing, I'll do that :D. Anything you recommend to check out first?

Depends on what you like to play. EVE Gunjack is another sci-fi shooter though that one is arcade, you're manning a turret of a mining operation, defending it from pirates.

As for space combat, there is of course the X-Wing mission (I do so hope they'll make a full Rogue Squadron VR next). Not in space but the first big combat fighter after Valkyrie should be Ace Combat (and it's probably with more single player).

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes is a cool game where you have to disarm bombs... with the help of someone without VR, who has the manual.

I have played the How We Soar demo a month ago on a PSVR Event and it was the first VR experience that had me go "wow".

You've got two options to see dinosaurs: ARK for multiplayer (and a bit of single player), Robinson for single player only.

The Playroom VR is free and shows off some nice Super Mario like graphics and music while having a few different multiplayer minigames.

I've heard Batman is even shorter than expected but I played the demo and enjoyed it enough that I will definitely get it, eventually in a sale.

Personally the games Eagle Flight (multiplayer flying over Paris, doing capture the flag etc) and Star Trek: Bridge Crew (exactly what it says on the tin), but they are worth mentioning since Ubisoft is probably the biggest name already developing a full game for PSVR and they're doing two games right away.

I agree with JG that the Driveclub and Here They Lie demos are bad but I'd suggest you try them anyway at some point so you can experience bad programming yourself. You should know how slow first person walking feels in these games, it has turned me away from any FP VR until I know it's standing still or has better speed.

Finally: do not neglect non-game experiences. I had a lot of fun with the Allumette and INVASION! shorts and will definitely watch more when they arrive.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Kitchen demo would be one i would recommend anyone try. I also thought Until dawn Rush of blood was very good, as was Rez and EVE Valkyrie.

Would not recommend Here they lie or Drive club demo's I honestly think if someone saw those as their first experience it could put them off PSVR right away.

Depends on what you like to play. EVE Gunjack is another sci-fi shooter though that one is arcade, you're manning a turret of a mining operation, defending it from pirates.

As for space combat, there is of course the X-Wing mission (I do so hope they'll make a full Rogue Squadron VR next). Not in space but the first big combat fighter after Valkyrie should be Ace Combat (and it's probably with more single player).

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes is a cool game where you have to disarm bombs... with the help of someone without VR, who has the manual.

I have played the How We Soar demo a month ago on a PSVR Event and it was the first VR experience that had me go "wow".

You've got two options to see dinosaurs: ARK for multiplayer (and a bit of single player), Robinson for single player only.

The Playroom VR is free and shows off some nice Super Mario like graphics and music while having a few different multiplayer minigames.

I've heard Batman is even shorter than expected but I played the demo and enjoyed it enough that I will definitely get it, eventually in a sale.

Personally the games Eagle Flight (multiplayer flying over Paris, doing capture the flag etc) and Star Trek: Bridge Crew (exactly what it says on the tin), but they are worth mentioning since Ubisoft is probably the biggest name already developing a full game for PSVR and they're doing two games right away.

I agree with JG that the Driveclub and Here They Lie demos are bad but I'd suggest you try them anyway at some point so you can experience bad programming yourself. You should know how slow first person walking feels in these games, it has turned me away from any FP VR until I know it's standing still or has better speed.

Finally: do not neglect non-game experiences. I had a lot of fun with the Allumette and INVASION! shorts and will definitely watch more when they arrive.

Ok, thanks for the recommendations :D.

Just to be clear, you're talking about Loading Human now and not Rigs, right?

That is correct. I returned it yesterday and had it put towards another purchase.. Just the game feels so incomplete it's horrifying. I typically don't have strong opinions on games, but.. jesus christ that game was bad. Plus I never return games either. If I don't like them (like Bloodborne for example) I just keep them for collection reasons.. I just didn't even want this game in my possession anymore.

That is correct. I returned it yesterday and had it put towards another purchase.. Just the game feels so incomplete it's horrifying. I typically don't have strong opinions on games, but.. jesus christ that game was bad. Plus I never return games either. If I don't like them (like Bloodborne for example) I just keep them for collection reasons.. I just didn't even want this game in my possession anymore.

Your go-to bad game example is Bloodborne? Now I'm pissed...

Your go-to bad game example is Bloodborne? Now I'm pissed...

I-I-I mean T.T It's not a bad game in other peoples eyes. I never said it was bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not a type of person who likes Dark Souls type of games.. although I had never tried the concept, plus it was on sale so I decided to buy it. ..Clearly it was an awful experience for me because I literally learn nothing when I play video games. I do the same thing like every time lol.

I mean maybe that's the real reason why I kept it, I probably want to try it again later on it time.. but that Loading Human abomination.. I just can't..

Edited by DuckSwimmer

I-I-I mean T.T It's not a bad game in other peoples eyes. I never said it was bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not a type of person who likes Dark Souls type of games.. although I had never tried the concept, plus it was on sale so I decided to buy it. ..Clearly it was an awful experience for me because I literally learn nothing when I play video games. I do the same thing like every time lol.

I mean maybe that's the real reason why I kept it, I probably want to try it again later on it time.. but that Loading Human abomination.. I just can't..

Ill be honest, i dont like bloodbourne either.

Get triggered bro.

Hey, people are allowed their own opinions, I just thought it weird that a game like Bloodborne (high on many people's lists) is first on a "games I did not like" shortlist while there's so much disappointing stuff out there. The Family Guy game, for instance, or Duke Nukem Forever.

I have not played through Bloodborne yet - got distracted by a different game - but I liked it. After the initial points of yelling at the screen, I did not give up and I completed the first two bosses. And I'm told those two are among the hardest in the game.

I'm not good in explaining it since I am not a Souls veteran (I do admire the work though). I would suggest watching Jimquisition's take on the game, it's pretty good and it's what MMDE showed me when I was thinking about giving the series another shot by getting Bloodborne.

Edit: found the post and it's still good. Here's the start of a conversation that let me to give Bloodborne a chance...

Nah, it really isn't. I know Dark Souls has been marketed as such by Bandai Namco, but it really isn't. FROM SOFTWARE has done these hack n slash dungeon crawler RPGs since very early PS1, and they've always been the same. With PS1 you had 3D graphics, so the natural succession of the old school dungeon crawler genre (games like Wizardry etc) was you exploring the caves more naturally in 3D environment. Not just walking one step forward in a big maze, but rather move around naturally and with real time battle system. Not turn based, but walking up and hitting enemies that can hit back. The first game was pretty much just 5 floors of a giant maze, with two bosses. You usually had to do some various stuff on each floor and there were people living there. Anyway, second game was more open, but still most of the game took place in a big cave AKA maze. Then you got even more open areas with the third game and the movement and graphics just kept improving. All three games were pretty dark too, almost getting into horror territory. After that they did some few horror games in similar fashion. On PS2 they did more of similar RPGs, even did one more game in that same series they started with on PS1. One huge difference between these games and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is the early games were first person, Demon's/Dark is third person. Really, Demon's was just another iteration of these games, but this time third person and way more fluid controls and a good bit faster. This is solely due to better hardware. There's even unused enemy models in Demon's that you can see in King's Field IV (the PS2 game of the RPG series they started). There was other unused things too, like a character that could tell you what the various items were etc, but they cut this from the game. As we all know they did backstory for each item on their description. As for dying and respawning? It was a bit more limited back in King's Field, but it worked much the same, though you needed an item. They also did instant auto-saving, so no save and load. ;p

Anyway, the point is, they aren't really trying to do "NES hard", and the games really aren't "NES hard", they just got a bit of a learning curve. "NES hard" is usually associated with being unfair, the Souls games are anything but unfair. If you die, it's because you messed up. It is not because you necessarily suck, because the games really aren't that hard. For me, getting the platinum for Demon's is like 1/10 difficulty. :P Even for a new player, no way it is the 8/10 you find in the trophy guide on this site. A good indicator is the high completion percentage, even if the game has been free for PS+ in all regions.

Once you get the hang of how to play the game "properly" and have found some weapons you like, the game is pretty easy. I know in Demon's, my very first playthrough, except of the very first level and the times when I intentionally died, I died like 5 times I didn't want to die throughout entire NG... I'm not some amazeballs at the game. Same goes for Dark Souls, I even remember NG++, I did like over half the game in like 45 minutes and a lot of the time was wasted on this one time I died against what I else usually found to be one of the easiest bosses in the game. I guess I shouldn't have taken on him so lightly. lol

What you may experience in these games is that the first part of the game is some of the hardest in the entire game. lol They usually serve as a way for you to learn how to play the game. At some point they will be super easy, even without any leveling, and then you're totally ready for the rest of the game. :) No joke, and it's intentional. It's not long since I did Bloodborne, and I found the portion before the first boss to be some of the hardest in the entire game. This is especially true because you haven't leveled up much yet, but in Bloodborne, they also push a ton of enemies on you at the same time near the beginning. The rest of the game was rather smooth sailing (except for a couple of extra bosses you needed for the platinum, but once you get the trick with those they weren't that hard). How many times did I die PvE in Bloodborne? hmm 15 times max? Yeah, so really not that hard. Even back in PS1 days they started you out at places where you could get yourself killed within seconds of playing. :D A bit of the idea is that you learn from it, you learn to be a bit more careful, and if you are, there really aren't many surprises that will catch you off-guard. The games are in no way unfair.

Did you complete the tutorial section in Dark Souls? A troll? A door that slams shut? :S Did you fly away from where you started with a bird? Because what you describe sounds like 1 minute into the game where you are supposed to just run into a corridor on the left side. Then you will be taken through more tutorial and get yourself some equipment and then get back to the beast you saw earlier and kill him rather easily. Still, this isn't the entire tutorial IMO. I'd say the tutorial ends when you beat the Gargoyles. :P Why do I say that? Because the game throws a lot of different stuff at you up to and including that point, where you are supposed to learn different things. After that the game is rather smooth sailing for the most parts. Honestly, you often don't have to fight enemies. You can run past like at least 80% of the enemies in the game. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXUzbcNM6K0

^ Definitely worth watching.

:P

Edited by BillyHorrible

Triggered so hard you had to quote another thread. You suck.

/sarcasm

I haven't played much of the souls games to be giving a fair opinion. The games are meant to be moderately brutal and require the ability to retry instead of ragequit. This I dont mind. But for me the controls in these games will always irritate me. Sometimes it feels like Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter had a special child.

Triggered so hard you had to quote another thread. You suck.

/sarcasm

I haven't played much of the souls games to be giving a fair opinion. The games are meant to be moderately brutal and require the ability to retry instead of ragequit. This I dont mind. But for me the controls in these games will always irritate me. Sometimes it feels like Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter had a special child.

So that's what triggered means...

I'm not "triggered", I know that there are some people out there who have played through whole Souls games and still said they were not enjoyable afterwards. Hate the games for all I care, the controls do indeed require some getting used to and could be off-putting.  Personally I just hope people will not be put off by the image the games have (and the devs seem to enjoy enforcing this image), because they're not really that brutal at all once you give it a fair chance. Indeed the hardest thing about the games is being able to keep your cool and try again. I agree with others on this site that the beginning of Bloodborne is really hard, the game indeed does seem to loosen up a bit afterwards (though I have not played enough of the game yet to be able to honestly tell if such a hard part won't return).

MMDE taking the time to explain the game to me made me take a chance and get the game, and I really like it so far. I'm going back to it once I finish Far Cry Primal and Rise Of The Tomb Raider.

OT:

Tethered will be released a week from now, some kind of God game. Looks good.

Edited by BillyHorrible