PSVR Already Making Profits, Tremendous Demand Seen at GameStop

SupaTrupa1

Someone answer me this.. Can you play PS VR using the standard PS4 controller and without standing up/looking around. I would love to get a PS VR in time but I want to have exactly the same experience as I am now just more in the game, I want to be able to control the game (looking left and right optional) as I normally would just using the VR. If it's more like the Kinect where it demands space I don't have much room so it would be a nuisance for me. 

Yes you can use the DS4 pad although some games will require the move controllers, regarding looking around this is done with the headset per se and when you are in the VR world this is exactly how you would want to look around anyway, just as it is in real life you move your head to look left, right, up and down, you do the same in VR... it is very instinctive.

Whilst playing any regular PS4 game using the VR headset you still use the DS4 pad to look around just the same as you would without PSVR, the only time you would then need to move your head around is if (like me) you choose to play on a large screen setting which effectively turns your field of view into that of is if you was playing your games at the cinema and it would be impossible to see the whole screen without making slight head adjustments but again, this is very instinctive and really no problem whatsoever.

You can also play seated and please see my post 3 above this one regarding exactly that.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Sony has been making a profit on every PS4 sold too since launch, so this isn't anything new. The PS3 was sold at a loss, but Sony isn't in a position to do something like that right now.

PSVR is a risky move on their part. If they sold it at a loss and nobody bought it, that would be disastrous for them. At least if they're making a profit from every unit sold, they would be in a better position.

No it wasn't, it was a game or so away from profit at launch. I swear Shu outright stated this at one point, but this is all I can be arsed to find.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-20-sony-expects-to-recoup-playstation-4-hardware-loss-at-launch?

They reached pure profits quickly, but it wasn't profit out the gate on hardware alone.

No it wasn't, it was a game or so away from profit at launch. I swear Shu outright stated this at one point, but this is all I can be arsed to find.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-20-sony-expects-to-recoup-playstation-4-hardware-loss-at-launch?

They reached pure profits quickly, but it wasn't profit out the gate on hardware alone.

Ah, fair enough, my bad. Like you said, they reached pure profits soon after launch which is why I was confused. I don't believe Sony profited on each PS3 sold until the Slim came out, so it was still a big difference.

So how high should the camera be off the ground, mines about 4 feet and I still feel the calibration is off.

As I sit in a kitchen chair (standard height chair) my PS4 camera is approx 26 inches off the ground (I just measured it) and I tilt it back slightly by placing a small amount of blu tac under the front of the camera so it points upward a bit...

I did try the camera placed on the top of my TV which is approx 43 inches off the ground (I just measured this too) but I could not get it calibrated correctly, the camera was just too high like that.

​Edit: I am 5ft 10' tall and I assume I am of 'normal' posture and I play seated.

​Hope that helps.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

As of right now, the headsets are still widely available throughout Ontario, checking online stock for Best Buy, Walmart, TRU, and EB Games (Gamestop).

Given that Canada generally gets a very small amount of stock, that would suggest it isn't selling particularly well here at least.

I haven't done an exhaustive US search, but every Best Buy in the Buffalo region (closest cross border location from where I am located) has it available in stock for purchase today.

I'm sure the dollar difference isn't helping, but I would be surprised if this sells through and is unavailable, unless they are planning no additional stock through Christmas.

Not trying to be negative, but I'm also not convinced of this 'the stock is gone, rush out and buy it now!!!' hype.

As of right now, the headsets are still widely available throughout Ontario, checking online stock for Best Buy, Walmart, TRU, and EB Games (Gamestop).

Given that Canada generally gets a very small amount of stock, that would suggest it isn't selling particularly well here at least.

I haven't done an exhaustive US search, but every Best Buy in the Buffalo region (closest cross border location from where I am located) has it available in stock for purchase today.

I'm sure the dollar difference isn't helping, but I would be surprised if this sells through and is unavailable, unless they are planning no additional stock through Christmas.

Not trying to be negative, but I'm also not convinced of this 'the stock is gone, rush out and buy it now!!!' hype.

well considering the ps vr also run out of stock after a few minutes when it was available for pre-order i wouldn't say this is too far from the truth, at least since they said they are already making profits out of it that means they are having success with it, its not like it has to be completely out of stock everywhere for it to be considered a success. also the thread mostly talks about gamespot and probably just the US for now.

good on Sony's side. I guess it's a Win! Win!! to them, but for consumers like me who's not interested on the VR... yet, should I have to worry?

I mean after the upcoming games like horizon, Ni no Kuni 2, spiderman etc. more VR games in the future will raid playstation or something? plus, not to mention the shovelware VR titles because come on, shovelware piled up crappy VR games will gonna happen.

I work at GameStop, the policy was to sell your allotted systems by last Saturday or they'll get shipped to another store that is selling them. So I imagine stocks are shifting around right about now. We sold 4 I believe (Had 1 traded back in a day later) of the 6 we had in stock. We still had our extras on Sunday.