Demo impressions

BlazingCat83

Honestly, I wish the whole game were chibi instead of having character models with this aesthetic:

ps4-world-of-ff18.jpg

Honestly, i prefer the character models like that. They are pretty awesome IMO.

Just finished the demo. It was pretty nice, it's definitely on the wishlist. Just a quick question: are you supposed to fail at the end or do I just suck?

Save at the end just before the fight. You'll probably fail the first time unless you have loads of potions from the NPCs on the way to the end. Fight the boss using most of the potions and you should just scrape by and kill her. Then you've completed the demo in it's entirity! :)

• Like 2

Save at the end just before the fight. You'll probably fail the first time unless you have loads of potions from the NPCs on the way to the end. Fight the boss using most of the potions and you should just scrape by and kill her. Then you've completed the demo in it's entirity! :)

Do you earn anything by completing it in it's entiret, because I'm too lazy too complete it again :P

Well, I got all the way to

Lightning

and turned it off.  I really don't like that tiny body with oversized head children look but will look past it if the game is good,  I will give it another shot if someone can confirm that the thing talking during the tutorials stops using the word "the" in the most annoyingly way ever in the world of ever.  Until then I cannot proceed.  

Edited by angelgrievous

The demo was quite fun. I vastly prefer the classic menu settings to the one they have for this game so I'll be using that one. The combat was fun, stacking different monsters to see how they work together was fun, and I really like that everyone gets experience instead of just the ones in the party. Also quite enjoyed the English VAs

I do hope the game gets harder though because everything was a joke in the demo lol Didn't have to use any of the many items they gave you in the demo

Edited by Zangril

I'll copy and paste what I said on another site:

"So I finished the demo after I imprisoned/captured final boss, and....just wow....

This honestly might become my favorite game of all time knocking Kingdom Hearts series from my top spot. It will at least make my top 3 for sure bumping either Kingdom Hearts series, main Final Fantasy series, or Little Big Planet 2 from top 3. It's probably the best game I have ever played (gameplay and aesthetics wise, yet to know if story is good) and I've played thousands from 1989 to now. This is like everything I like in a game rolled into one.

Basically this is like Final Fantasy Pokemon, except far better than Pokemon which is saying a lot since Pokemon is one of the most popular gaming series of all time due to it's addictive gameplay. Well this game is even more addictive. What makes this better for me is the amount of depth and strategy. Each Mirage has its own growth tree which is nice. I'm not going to go into details about every aspect of it, many of which can be overlooked if you didn't experiment enough or keep a good eye on certain growth tree abilities and other things. I'm super excited about this game now, even more than I already was. I even caught 1 of every single mirage you could catch in the demo, including the Fenrir, Cockatrice, and female Ifrit (forgot its name)."

Canada's prices cause economy and currency exchange is garbage.

Considering I buy lots of games I have no issue paying 80. But I have others as a priority. Also for the record I don't think our prime minister will fix the dollar value. Ever.

Yeah I feel for you guys up north

This!  <3

Hahaha! Yes!

Well, I got all the way to

Lightning

and turned it off.  I really don't like that tiny body with oversized head children look but will look past it if the game is good,  I will give it another shot if someone can confirm that the thing talking during the tutorials stops using the word "the" in the most annoyingly way ever in the world of ever.  Until then I cannot proceed.  

Pretty sure the tutorial just pops once. Just finished it and it honestly nothing wrong with the VA's. But I guess preference and opinions is a factor. Haha

• Like 1

I thought the demo was amazing

The chibi style honestly works for a game like this and I thought it was amusing that all these adorable characters sound like the actual character

The new battle system seems simple bur I'm betting it gets proper in-depth. The gamelan felt like Pokemon Final Fantasy which isn't a bad thing and the world design and every little detail has obviously had a lot of thought put into it

The graphics are also outstanding, there's something just extremely crisp and lush about them which I wasn't expecting

I didn't play the demo for long, as I don't want to spoil anything but it's made me pre-order the game

It's probably one if the best games in the franchise I've played in a while

All the people hating it for the chibi honestly need to get over it, as chibi is bloody adorable and is a major boon for this game

I thought the demo was amazing

The chibi style honestly works for a game like this and I thought it was amusing that all these adorable characters sound like the actual character

The new battle system seems simple bur I'm betting it gets proper in-depth. The gamelan felt like Pokemon Final Fantasy which isn't a bad thing and the world design and every little detail has obviously had a lot of thought put into it

The graphics are also outstanding, there's something just extremely crisp and lush about them which I wasn't expecting

I didn't play the demo for long, as I don't want to spoil anything but it's made me pre-order the game

It's probably one if the best games in the franchise I've played in a while

All the people hating it for the chibi honestly need to get over it, as chibi is bloody adorable and is a major boon for this game

Don't worry, it won't, this dungeon was created exclusively for the demo and won't appear on the final game.

I had some time to play the demo last night, and here is my opinion.  I only played until the first save point so far.

Pros:

- I like the cutsey art style.  It is something different from all the FF games that are becoming more and more 'realistic' in their art styles.  I am not suggesting I want those to stop, just that I enjoy the attempt at something different.

- I like that capturing these mirages is not as easy as just throwing a 'Pokeball" at them.  You have to actually accomplish something special before you can even have a chance to capture them.

- Nostalgia holds some value here.  I like seeing old characters again, and it bringing back memories of when I played and enjoyed the games they are in.

- I also like how they adopted a similar leveling system to FF X.  And each of your mirages level up as well.  From what I have seen, I would guess that they can evolve too, because they all seem to have empty transformations.

Cons:

- This game is so incredibly slow.  I hope that when the actual game comes out, there is a way to speed up the battles.  All the option menus are locked in the demo.  EDIT: Apparently you can speed up the battle by pushing a button (R1).  I still hope that they add an option to speed up battles like that have in many of the older FF games without having to hold down a button.

- The simple battle system will take some getting use to.  I wonder how it picks who it attacks first (I know that you have the ability to pick with the d-pad).  I cannot say that I hate it yet, but as it stands right now it seems confusing and cumbersome to use.  The only reason I have been using it is because it is a little faster to speed up the snail pace battles.

- The map doesn't show chests or people, and you cannot rotate the camera.  This isn't so bad in itself, but it makes me think that it will be like God of War, in the sense that they hide things where you cannot see them, and you just have to mash X and hope something is there.

- This last one may only be a con for the demo, as I am not sure how the system works in the real game.  If it is like this though, it would be a little lame.  Every fight where you found a new mirage, they just handed you the item you need to catch it.  In the actual game I hope that you have to actually find these items, and that you can find more than one.

Anyways, that is my preliminary opinion.  Playing that small part of the demo did not change my mind about the game.  I am still interested, but I do want to wait for some reviews before buying.  If it is received well, I will likely be picking it up shortly after launch.

Couldn't figure out how to capture a Moogle. Any tips?

Small bit of advice.  One of your characters (I think the male) has Libra.  It will allow you to find out the requirements to capture any creature you run into.

Edited by Sir_Bee

Cons:

- This game is so incredibly slow.  I hope that when the actual game comes out, there is a way to speed up the battles.  All the option menus are locked in the demo.

-

You can fast forward during the battle by pressing  :r1:

• Like 1