Demo impressions

BlazingCat83

What is bad about it?

They deleted most of voiced content during localization.

In JP version two sidekicks (fairy and white buncle) are constantly talking, making jokes, giving advices, etc. Voice actors did amazing job too, it's very pleasing to listen to them.

In NA version this content was simply cut out.

They also deleted starting cutscene.

I assume that it was done because they weren't fast enough to buy voicing rights for NA version, since there's a choice between JP and ENG voices in the config menu, but NA version is much blander/boring because of it.

Edited by nyonmyan

Is there any way to stop the random battles? I really disliked seeing an NPC i wanted to talk to and then on my way to them i had to fight monsters multiple times. :S

Thought riding a Chocobo would turn it off, i also rode a Behemoth but was still getting battles, those were really annoying.

They deleted most of voiced content during localization.

In JP version two sidekicks (fairy and white buncle) are constantly talking, making jokes, giving advices, etc. Voice actors did amazing job too, it's very pleasing to listen to them.

In NA version this content was simply cut out.

They also deleted starting cutscene.

But if it's voiced in the JP version, wouldn't it mean they would be voiced in the localized version as well if you switch to proper voices? :)

Sure, but you get them through day 1 patch/pre-order DLC, so... unless they cut it off from there, there's a chance it could stay there.

I think you misunderstood me in some way.

NA demo has a LOT of content cut out. Content that is present in JP demo.

I'm sure that full game will be fine and completed, but because of cuts NA demo is much blander.

And it does creates some worries regarding quality of localization of full version.

I think you misunderstood me in some way.

NA demo has a LOT of content cut out. Content that is present in JP demo.

I'm sure that full game will be fine and completed, but because of cuts NA demo is much blander.

Ooooh, you meant only demo-wise, yea, misunderstood that.

Thanks for clarifying that.

And it does creates some worries regarding quality of localization of full version.

Can we actually be surprised? With FFXV WW release soon, it isn't really surprising they wouldn't allocate many sources towards the better (:awesome:) this one...

Chibi + Final Fantasy = Instant Nope

Well, I'm not a chibi fan in general, that'd go for pretty much any game. But seeing the FF characters as chibis rather than their regular appearance just made it worse for me due to me knowing how they'd look otherwise. The not so great English voice acting, no Japanese VA in the demo and mediocre gameplay made me delete it after playing less than ten minutes. No way I'm buying this game.

Maybe I'd consider it if there were no other games for me to play, but I'm already overwhelmed with what I own/preordered.

What do you mean by their "regular appearance"? Certainly, Lightning looks different, but for people like Edgar, or Vivi, or Boko, etc., chibi is MUCH closer to their "regular appearance",

Anyway, I like the demo a llot.

The human characters and cringey dialogue definitely gave me a Kingdom Hearts vibe. I can't say I find the two main characters appealing, either. It won't stop me from getting the game though. It was a lot of fun. The demo did make me decide to switch my preorder from PS4 to Vita. It felt like it was meant for handheld.

Some notes:

1. It's been mentioned already, but Libra is your friend for finding out how to make a monster catchable.

2. Don't worry if you mess up trying to catch the Cockatrice or Ifreeta. You can fight that battle over and over again.

3. You have a limited time to imprism Ifreeta once she becomes susceptible. Once the circle of light under her disappears, you won't get another chance for the remainder of the battle.

4. Fenrir has an ability (forget the name) that only appears when in a stack that will instantly knock down Ifreeta's stack every time. Just be careful using it too many times in one battle, it destabilizes you as well. You don't want to have Fenrir exposed to fire attacks.

5. Speaking of Fenrir, it's a pretty rare battle configuration. Keep wandering around and you'll eventually get it. You'll have to knock a Mandragora off of it to catch it.

6. Finally, there's a really rare battle setup that contains two Werebats and an Ahriman. I've only ever seen them in the room with the save point and boss. Since the battle setup is so rare, I'll go ahead and tell you that you need Wind Magic to catch the Werebat. Hopefully that info will save someone some time.

Edit: One last thing. I noticed that Fenrir, Behemoth and Tonberry had transfigurations on their boards that didn't say they were locked. Has anyone leveled them up enough to find what they were or if they were available? I didn't have the patience. It looks like the Behemoth would be the easiest to test with.

Edited by Auralancer42
  • Like 1

It was okay, very short though.  I did like the Pokemon elements to it.  Not a fan of the fact the "simple" battle system is the one you start with default.  I hope there is a way to change that as I don't know how many times I accidentally pressed :cross: on that and ended up defending instead of attacking. -_-

I'm guessing you were playing with English voices? If so, try Japanese. It's waaaaaay less less cringey. :P

I don't know if I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole, ha ha  

It was okay, very short though.  I did like the Pokemon elements to it.  Not a fan of the fact the "simple" battle system is the one you start with default.  I hope there is a way to change that as I don't know how many times I accidentally pressed :cross: on that and ended up defending instead of attacking. -_-

In the options at start up you can switch the menu style to classic. You can also switch during battle but you have to do it every time.

I don't know if I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole, ha ha  

In the options at start up you can switch the menu style to classic. You can also switch during battle but you have to do it every time.

Oh good.  Tbh, I didn't spend much time in the options.. don't even know if I looked in them at all. lol

I played the demo and it was okay.

The game is really slow (even when holding down  :r1:) but after I beat it I did see where you can speed things up in the config menu.

In battle the classic menu should be used at all times (once again after I beat the demo I saw were you could make the classic battle menu stay on by default.)

All and all it was a okay demo.

The human characters and cringey dialogue definitely gave me a Kingdom Hearts vibe. I can't say I find the two main characters appealing, either. It won't stop me from getting the game though. It was a lot of fun. The demo did make me decide to switch my preorder from PS4 to Vita. It felt like it was meant for handheld.

Some notes:

1. It's been mentioned already, but Libra is your friend for finding out how to make a monster catchable.

2. Don't worry if you mess up trying to catch the Cockatrice or Ifreeta. You can fight that battle over and over again.

3. You have a limited time to imprism Ifreeta once she becomes susceptible. Once the circle of light under her disappears, you won't get another chance for the remainder of the battle.

4. Fenrir has an ability (forget the name) that only appears when in a stack that will instantly knock down Ifreeta's stack every time. Just be careful using it too many times in one battle, it destabilizes you as well. You don't want to have Fenrir exposed to fire attacks.

5. Speaking of Fenrir, it's a pretty rare battle configuration. Keep wandering around and you'll eventually get it. You'll have to knock a Mandragora off of it to catch it.

6. Finally, there's a really rare battle setup that contains two Werebats and an Ahriman. I've only ever seen them in the room with the save point and boss. Since the battle setup is so rare, I'll go ahead and tell you that you need Wind Magic to catch the Werebat. Hopefully that info will save someone some time.

Edit: One last thing. I noticed that Fenrir, Behemoth and Tonberry had transfigurations on their boards that didn't say they were locked. Has anyone leveled them up enough to find what they were or if they were available? I didn't have the patience. It looks like the Behemoth would be the easiest to test with.

Good info. I got Ahriman (I only saw that config once, but in a different place from you). Glad to hear that you can catch the boss stuff safely.

By the way, does the stuff from the demo carry over to the main game, or is this gloriously futile effort?

It was okay, very short though. I did like the Pokemon elements to it. Not a fan of the fact the "simple" battle system is the one you start with default. I hope there is a way to change that as I don't know how many times I accidentally pressed :cross: on that and ended up defending instead of attacking. -_-

LOL. In the first battle, I could not figure out what I was doing. I kept hitting X, and nothing happened. Classic style all the way. Edited by starcrunch061

So, adding to Auralancer's post:

- Fenrir's ability is called "lunge", and it breaks Ifreeti's stack in one hit.

- Ahriman also has a good stack-toppling ability called "misdirection"

- Ifreeti and Cockatrice are both pretty hard to capture, even when you get the circle. I had to fight the battle 6 total times to get both of them.

• Like 1

By the way, does the stuff from the demo carry over to the main game, or is this gloriously futile effort?

Nothing carries over to the full game. Only thing that will carry over is one mirage that you can catch in the coliseum if you have a completed save file from this demo.

• Like 1

So, adding to Auralancer's post:

- Fenrir's ability is called "lunge", and it breaks Ifreeti's stack in one hit.

- Ahriman also has a good stack-toppling ability called "misdirection"

- Ifreeti and Cockatrice are both pretty hard to capture, even when you get the circle. I had to fight the battle 6 total times to get both of them.

I got Ifreeti on my 1st try. xD Cockatrice is another one you can get in that fight? Don't know if I'll bother, since I don't think it carries over. You get a small bonus for completing the demo, but that's all I'm aware of.