AJ_Radio's Disappointing Backlog and Wishlist

AJ_Radio

Ah that's a shame, you know what's funny is that I forgot that DNF is that game. Well, that's alright then, I've now heard from you and CelestialRequiem after I posted my other message here that the game is really not so enjoyable. Thanks for your insight, good luck catching up though, I need to catch up with my one game that I've completed since making up the checklist. 

On 7.10.2021 at 7:59 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I had to play it because Duke Nukem was what I grew up with, believe it or not. Unfortunately Duke Nukem Forever isn't that good of a game, went thru development hell for over a decade and the final product, disappointing. There are certainly worse games out there, but I remember being pretty disappointed when the game first came out.

I'm practically months behind on my own thread. It takes a while for me to write up stories on the games I've done and sometimes I just don't feel entirely up to it, especially when you're making textbook posts.

I'll get to it, just have to catch up with the other games I've done before.

I platinuned Duke Nukem Forever and 100% the DLC with my friends account and it's a shame what they did with the game.  But I'm not that guy which is going crazy about it and did you liked the DLC? For me DLC > main game and I'm a huge Duke Nukem fan too. My fav Duke nulem game is Time 2 Kill. Great game, great levels and great soundtrack!

On 10/8/2021 at 0:24 AM, ShadyWARcotix said:

I platinuned Duke Nukem Forever and 100% the DLC with my friends account and it's a shame what they did with the game.  But I'm not that guy which is going crazy about it and did you liked the DLC? For me DLC > main game and I'm a huge Duke Nukem fan too. My fav Duke nulem game is Time 2 Kill. Great game, great levels and great soundtrack!

The DLC was more compact and actually a little more enjoyable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

100% Game #27: Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Episode 2

L47eb5b.png

Difficulty: 2/10

Excitement Rating: 7/10

For some reason, this version of Broken Sword 5 on the PS Vita is a non-platinum broken into two episodes, whereas the PS4 version of this game contains the platinum with both episodes intact. The only reason I have this and not the PS4 is the fact that the PS Vita version was offered as a PS Plus offer back in 2017, when Sony was still offering PS3/Vita games at discounts.

I absolutely adore these old style point and clicks. Secret of Monkey Island, King's Quest, Discworld were just some of the oldschool point and clicks that defined an era of computer gaming. I find point and clicks nowadays, at least the modern ones, to be pretty lackluster. There is Artifex Mundi, but they're more about find the hidden object, not so much about character progression or the story itself. Broken Sword 5 is a bit of a throwback to the old days, while it has some modern features, it feels for the most part like an oldschool point and click that will satisfy the gaming veterans who were around back in the 1990s.

To talk about the story itself will be delving into spoiler territory. Broken Sword 5 doesn't hold your hand, so you may need a trophy guide to figure out what to do. Trophy guide or not, if you love older style point and clicks, you can't go wrong with Broken Sword 5.

• Like 1

100% Game #28: DOOM 64

Lebf010.png

A Nintendo 64 classic that I never got around to playing until a few months ago.

DOOM is a franchise that invokes childhood memories for many middle aged gamers, and remains a classic nearly 30 years later. John Carmack and John Romero are two guys whose names are cemented in video game history. A few years later after the original was released, DOOM 64 was released on the Nintendo 64. Given Nintendo's strict censorship back then, it's interesting to note that a violent shooter such as DOOM or Turok would get an exclusive release on Nintendo's console.

This particular game was released by Midway in 1997, who were known for Mortal Kombat. I was never exposed to this as a kid, so I don't have the memories and nostalgia of DOOM 64 that others might have.

Because of the password system, practically all of the trophies in the DOOM 64 are trivial. The controls are okay, given that I was playing this on a PS4 controller and not a N64 controller. I think having a more fleshed out trophy list with a platinum would of of given me a higher opinion on this game. But given how old this game is, and the fact that modern gamers will take the quickest, easiest route possible to finish their games, I may argue the trophy list we ended up with is basically alright.

Nothing else to say really. DOOM 64 is a quick and easy 100%. Only two trophies in the set may pose any trouble for people, but it's otherwise a trivial list that most anybody can do with very little effort.

• Like 1

I honestly didn’t know the mafia series existed until 3. I played it and was super bored honestly. I saw the trailer for mafia: the definitive edition and was intrigued, so I rented it and it was honestly one of the best games I’ve ever played. Tommy is such an interesting character and his supporting cast really, really shined when given the chance. The story was incredible it was like watching an interactive movie but in a good way (no disrespect to quantum dream’s games) My only problem was this right here 

13 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

There is an infamous race in Chapter 5 that makes Classic difficulty a bit of a pain.

that STUPID race lol! I was pulling multiple 7 hour shifts trying it and when I beat finally I felt like I deserved an Olympic gold medal or at least a cheque for my work from the devs themselves. Great review though I hope people see it and try the game out it’s definitely worth it. 

10 hours ago, ArabianSwordsman said:

I honestly didn’t know the mafia series existed until 3. I played it and was super bored honestly. I saw the trailer for mafia: the definitive edition and was intrigued, so I rented it and it was honestly one of the best games I’ve ever played. Tommy is such an interesting character and his supporting cast really, really shined when given the chance. The story was incredible it was like watching an interactive movie but in a good way (no disrespect to quantum dream’s games) My only problem was this right here 

that STUPID race lol! I was pulling multiple 7 hour shifts trying it and when I beat finally I felt like I deserved an Olympic gold medal or at least a cheque for my work from the devs themselves. Great review though I hope people see it and try the game out it’s definitely worth it. 

The supporting characters were very good. I really appreciated the story they provided.

My issue with the race is you have to be precise, and most people who play open world games like Mafia aren't exactly used to precision. I had to race like I was playing Need for Speed or Gran Turismo, study the track after failing about 50+ times.

10 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Great review for Mafia, AJ. You’ve singlehandedly made me want to play it sooner rather than later. I bought it back on release and  shelved it due to being busy with a bunch of other games at the time. Might have to dust it off and give it a go!

Definitely jump on it. My main gripe aside from that shitty race in Chapter 5 is the collectibles. We didn't get Playboy magazines this time around, the collectibles serve nothing more than padding for the game. They also can't be tracked, so you have to watch a YouTube guide to find them all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Definitely jump on it. My main gripe aside from that shitty race in Chapter 5 is the collectibles. We didn't get Playboy magazines this time around, the collectibles serve nothing more than padding for the game. They also can't be tracked, so you have to watch a YouTube guide to find them all.

Yeah I’ve heard maaany things about that race, can’t wait to see what it’s all about. And that’s a bummer, but not surprising. When I get to the game I’ll be sure to update you on my thoughts!

100% Game #29: Capcom Arcade Cabinet

Lc0ab26.png

Difficulty: 9.5/10

Excitement Rating: 8/10

Here is perhaps the most difficult 100% title I have obtained on my profile.

Those of you 80s kids may remember the old arcade machines. There were arcade rooms, pizza huts, bars and cafeterias that held arcade cabinets. These machines were designed with the intention of taking kids quarters. Most kids couldn't beat a game, let alone have enough money to afford playing for long. 25 cents bought you a lot more back in the 1980s.

Capcom are greedy bastards, because this along with Capcom Arcade Stadium will cost you $40 each if you want all the games that come with them. For this collection I believe Black Tiger is the only free arcade game. Everything must be paid for separately.

Back in 2017 Sony was still offering discounts for PS3/Vita games, and Capcom Arcade Cabinet if I recall correctly was offered at around $14.99. I took up the offer and started to indulge in the collection myself.

Make no mistake, this collection of old arcade games is literally tough as nails. A few games in this set (Gunsmoke, Commando, Son Son) I would wager require a lot of skill as well as perseverance. Gunsmoke is the hardest game in Capcom Arcade Cabinet, and took me around 10 - 12 hours to beat the game which is saying something because this offers infinite continues. It is downright brutal. For such an old game it is amazing that the enemy AI has no mercy on you. A testament to how clever and good Capcom were. Commando is also really difficult, made so because of the fact there are no continues. This game was ported to NES and Atari, but the arcade version in this set is no joke. You have eight levels to push yourself thru, and if you run out of lives near the very end, you have to start at the very beginning. Finally, there is Son Son, the last game I needed to 100% this collection. It isn't as difficult as Gunsmoke or Commando, but it is still hard. I highly recommend a co-op partner for this game since it will make things much easier for yourself. Unfortunately because of poor internet I was forced to do this game by myself, and let me tell you it is downright aggravating. Everything has a pattern and you have to memorize all of it.

A few games in this collection (Ghosts n Goblins, Pirate Ship Higemaru,1942) are still hard, Pirate Ship Higemaru having no continues and 1942 having a bad continue system, but they aren't as daunting as the ones I just mentioned. The rest of the titles are a lot more doable, Avengers for one being the easiest game in my opinion.

There is a trophy for clocking in 50 hours of game time, so you can expect this to be a difficult 100% for you. Only the most dedicated of trophy hunters will 100% this collection. Not something to take lightly, Capcom Arcade Cabinet will test your patience, skills, determination, courage and reflexes. Anybody who has fully finished this collection earns my full respect.

• Like 4

100% Game #30: Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

L7d09ff.png

Here is Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, not to be confused with the PS4 game which is Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown which is far more grindy.

Virtua Fighter is a longtime 3-D fighting franchise developed by SEGA, a proper rival to Bandai's Tekken franchise. It has many of the same mechanics as Tekken, including being able to side step, which isn't possible in Street Fighter.

Not too much to say on this one other than it carries a pretty easy trophy list. I was expecting to have some trouble with the online trophies but I found people still playing this, even several years later. License Challenge Mode is the main hurdle to the 100%, but it's not that hard at all. Even for people who aren't into fighters, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown can be done relatively quickly.

Not sure if I'm going to delve into other fighters. I ended up enjoying both Tekken and Virtua Fighter 5, the trophy lists in both franchises are fair and aren't too taxing on the player. For someone like me who is only average at best at fighting games, Virtua Fighter 5 ended up being a good purchase.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

100% Game #31: A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV

L5ed323.png

Here is one of a small handful of games that is offered for free on the PS Store. It's a pretty short experience that was initially a DLC exclusive for people who preordered Final Fantasy XV at select retailers. For being basically "free", it ain't all that bad.

This is a standalone title, but I share absolutely no connections with the Final Fantasy franchise, as I jumped off the bandwagon after the 11th or 12th game in the series. I have yet to play Final Fantasy XIII or any of the other newer games, including the MMO which I'll probably never play in my lifetime.

Anyway, this standalone game is more akin to old school beat em ups of the 1990s with a 16-bit art style, so for those retro gamers out there I think they will be a little pleased. The combat system has magic attacks as well as regular attacks which are done in a beat em up style. Combos are a large part of the game and perhaps even necessary for some combat encounters. Enemies are varied and require different strategies to defeat.

The story is straightforward and is supposed to in some way connect to the actual Final Fantasy XV game. But I have no real analysis on Final Fantasy since I typically don't like JRPGs.

Pretty easy, very short and worthwhile game. Modern gamers looking for a more grand tale should already be playing Final Fantasy, but for guys like me who prefer older style games, A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV was enjoyable for the few hours I put into it.

Platinum :platinum: #280: Assassin's Creed Odyssey (June 20th, 2021)

1L13cef7.png

Difficulty: 3/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 75+ Hours

Hardest Trophy: 12Sc28779.pngChild of Poseidon ( Complete all underwater location objectives )

u9a2wSi.jpg

I have a serious love/hate relationship with Assassin's Creed. Anybody that knows me knows that I'm a fan of Assassin's Creed. Despite the gripes I constantly have with this franchise, I enjoy the lore, the historical settings, and the stories.... to an extent.

With where Ubisoft is going as a company and their intentions to bring out Assassin's Creed Infinity, the latest released title in the series, Valhalla, may be the final game I will play in the franchise. I'm aware of Assassin's Creed Chronicles, but that to me is more of a spin off game, that I can take or leave at any time. For consistency and keeping up to date with the series, I will be playing Valhalla, although I missed out on buying the Ultimate Edition for $60.

What can I say about Assassin's Creed Odyssey that hasn't already been said by thousands and millions of people out there on the internet? Not much.

I went into great length talking about this game months ago in my status update, since I generally write lengthy reviews anyway. The mythology, while great to see and witness, doesn't exactly fit into the franchise all too well in my opinion. Odyssey puts more focus into the mythology aspect instead of being consistent with what the franchise was in the first place. Social stealth, with some science fiction thrown in to keep audiences hooked. That was the premise of the old games, creative stealth with a correlation between the past and present day, which gave Desmond Miles himself several games to tell his own story.

With Desmond Miles long gone and Assassin's Creed long since delving into other categories, the franchise to me feels almost unrecognizable. Odyssey is the second of three games that puts a focus on mythology, a loot open world RPG adventure where you can mix and match different sets of armor and weapons to make the build you want. Some people have compared this to the Soulsborne genre, but there is very little to compare to any Soulsborne since Odyssey is significantly easier. A better comparison is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the game that inspired many games afterwards with it's excellent cast of characters, memorable stories, rich lore and vibrant open world teeming with life. Ubisoft executives more than likely saw The Witcher as a great inspiration, and instead of sticking to the series roots, they decided to turn Assassin's Creed into a whole nother direction with the focus on being more like a Witcher than an Assassin.

It's obvious too, that Odyssey simply borrows many aspects from The Witcher 3. From the endless question mark symbols to the sheer scope and size. People complained endlessly about everything from Syndicate and before being simply copy and paste, but I feel that everything from Odyssey moving forward is just that, copy and paste. Origins was the one game in the Assassin's Creed franchise that Ubisoft put the most effort into in years. It had a great setting, a time period that many people are fascinated with (Ancient Egypt), and an exploration aspect that was fabulous.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey simply took what Origins started and multiplied it. Unfortunately, many of the locations are just cut and dry, copy and paste. The first 20 - 30 hours of Odyssey were simply great. But after around the 40 - 50 hour mark, everything felt repetitive and monotonous for me. The same bandit camps, the same objectives, the same uninspired side content. Origins was just big enough to be interesting, but not big enough to be overwhelming. There were entire locations that were just endless desert with virtually nothing to do in Origins. In Odyssey, I couldn't help but think Ubisoft simply just packed anything they could think of into that given location. Then they had the audacity to make us do some boring side quest or fulfill some meaningless objectives just to mark a location complete. If Odyssey had a trophy for completing every single location in the base game, it would of easily been a 100+ hour platinum for me. After mindlessly doing locations for a good 20 hours or so, I simply gave up on doing them all. Too boring, not enough interesting content to back them up.

Despite this, I think the story in Odyssey wasn't half bad. Alexios, or Kassandra, depending on who you picked, is out looking for their long lost family, and learning the history of how they got separated. The first mistake I made was choosing Alexios over Kassandra, since Kassandra is the canon character for the story. Alexios simply grew old and tiring, with a rather stereotypical voice that Ubisoft simply thought was good for a character who is from Greece.

There is a lot to like about Odyssey, yet the endless padding and god awful repetition ruined a lot of my enjoyment with the game. It gets a 7 out of 10 to me in the rating, good enough for most anybody to get into, but far from a masterpiece. In comparison, I found The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt far more enjoyable, much more engaging, and a lot more energetic. In the 130 plus hours I poured into The Witcher 3 I never got bored with it. After the 40 - 50 hour mark, I was bored with Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

People tell me Assassin's Creed Valhalla is worse, with Ubisoft fully intending to release second year DLC for the game which means it is far from over. The company is getting far too greedy, and I wouldn't doubt there will be a second Season Pass that you have pay for separately, which ultimately means you can be spending as much as $150 or more for just one game. Why? Because Ubisoft knows there are whales out there who will spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for any pile of shit that sticks.

Odyssey, an okayish to fairly good game, that long overstays its welcome.

• Like 3

Platinums :platinum: #282 & :platinum: #283:Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition (July 23rd, 2021)

1Laa7cb7.png

Difficulty: 5/10

Excitement Rating: 4/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 4 - 5 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 17S28e9a9.pngLevel 4 - Hard ( Clear Level 4 on Hard Difficulty )

752zAKB.jpg

A low quality, low effort, low budget game that is one of Ratalaika's early titles.

I will just say that the trophy hunting landscape has drastically changed. In 2017, Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition was one of the more popular games for EZ trophy hunters to pick up. The game is crossbuy, which meant they only had to pay for the game twice for all the stacks. With far more easier games to choose from, Blasting Agent has quickly fallen into obscurity.

What can I say about the game itself? It sucks. This is one of the worst looking games I have played for trophies. I don't mind games that are minimalist in graphics. Downwell for instance, but unlike Blasting Agent, those graphics actually gave the game personality and more of a distinction. Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition has graphics equivalent to that of the old DOS games from 30 years ago, particularly Apogee's line of 2-D platformers such as Secret Agent. Even those old games looked better though. Blasting Agent just looks like shit.

This was definitely more of a handheld mobile type of game, because that's what it felt like the entire time I was playing. On the PS4, the developers couldn't even bother to properly fit everything on the screen. Everything looks a bit out of proportion. Having a shoestring budget to work with is no excuse. Downwell and Undertale were successful. Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition better resembles the ugly ducking that is better left forgotten.

Despite how bad it looks, the normal difficulty playthrough wasn't too bad. You play an agent with a gun, hence the name blasting agent. There are six levels to play thru, with a variety of enemies who each have their own quirks and style. The bosses were mostly okay, though nothing I haven't already seen before. Collecting all the treasure in each level grants you new abilities upon completing that level. On hard difficulty, you get new costumes.

Beating the game on normal to unlock hard difficulty is where everything fell apart from me. On hard, literally everything is far tougher, much faster, and much more aggressive. Unfortunately you don't keep the abilities you earned on normal difficulty, you start off with virtually nothing but your gun. Your blasting agent is too weak to take on the enemies since they are practically bullet sponges. So.... you have to pick the karate guy.

The karate guy is difficult to control sometimes and has a far steeper learning curve. The developers of this game weren't competent enough to actually put things like invincibility frames. You fall into a pit of lava? You're pretty much fucked. On hard difficulty enemies will not hesitate to try to push you off or juggle you until you die. With no invincibility frames, this game becomes a chore to finish on hard. 

It also makes levels like level 4 hinge more on luck than on skill. There is a lot of platforming in this level and at the end you fight a big eye monster who shoots projectiles while little eyes move from one side to the other. With the blasting agent, he isn't too hard. With the karate guy on hard difficulty, he is a complete nightmare. There is a specific strategy you have to use and if you screw up you have to start all over again. Reaching the doorways to proceed to the next section was real aggravating too, especially on levels 4 and 6. The karate guy loves to fly all over the fucking place, since you have to melee all you enemies since he doesn't have any projectile weapons. It took a lot of getting used to him to use him well.

This isn't the worst game I have played but it certainly left a bad impression on me. Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition is one of the games that you either take or leave. Many people picked this up back in 2017 because of the easy trophies, but I can probably say this game was the hardest platinum I have earned that is common in rarity.

Normally I'm a sucker for old school, 2-D retro platformers from decades ago, as Commander Keen. But Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition just didn't give me that good of a time. I'm sure some people really like this, but I'm not one of those people.

Edited by AJ_Radio

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy your list of Dropped Games and your reasoning for deciding not to play them. There are multiple games on my list that I have the same feelings about, but I haven't decided if I will officially "give up" on them. I've definitely started to prioritize my gaming time to the games that best suit my interest and that I enjoy playing rather than trophy whoring like I used to a couple years back!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TristanBrown17 said:

I really enjoy your list of Dropped Games and your reasoning for deciding not to play them. There are multiple games on my list that I have the same feelings about, but I haven't decided if I will officially "give up" on them. I've definitely started to prioritize my gaming time to the games that best suit my interest and that I enjoy playing rather than trophy whoring like I used to a couple years back!

I'm terrible at keeping up-to-date on my own trophy checklists thread, already written my review for Duke Nukem Forever, just need to look it over a bit.

There was no way I was going to go after all those DLC trophies in Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3. If I had started 10 years ago.... maybe, but I simply jumped on far too late. Mighty No 9 on the PS3 is simply a no go. I'm sort of on the fence for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and DOOM 2. Not impossible, but both extremely annoying. The former requires a six man team, the other requires utter luck and a good amount of skill.

Stuff like The Last of Us, just never got around to doing it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Platinums :platinum: #284: Duke Nukem Forever (August 3rd, 2021)

1Le84c13.png

Difficulty: 6/10

Excitement Rating: 6/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 22 - 25+ Hours

Hardest Trophy: 50Sba3c83.pngDamn I'm Good ( Complete the SP campaign on Insane Difficulty )

Duke Nukem and I go back a long ways. I was one of the very select few young kids lucky enough to have a father who had the old Windows computers. Duke Nukem 1 (which was titled Duke Nukum because of a certain character in the 90s cartoon show Captain Planet) was the first PC game I ever played in my life, on an old Windows 3.1 computer with DOS Prompt. Yes, there was a thing called DOS games way back in the early 1990s, which I'm sure some of the older gaming veterans here remember fondly.

Duke Nukem 1 and 2 weren't exactly all that great, but they were proper platformers during a time when Nintendo and Mario dominated the gaming world. Easily my favorite game and for millions of others in the Duke Nukem franchise is Duke Nukem 3D. This was perhaps the first truly 3-D first person shooter that combined great gameplay with a great sense of humor. Duke Nukem was complete badass, full of one liners and a real interest in scantily clad babes. Yes, I was far too young to see virtual tits in a strip club, but it was one of those experiences I will never forget. Duke Nukem 3D was groundbreaking and full of action.

Fast forward 15 years to 2011, and we get Duke Nukem Forever. A lot had changed. The gaming industry had matured, having long tipped their toes into 3-D and improving character progression and streamlining substantially. Unfortunately for the once great Duke Nukem, we get a game that felt horrendously outdated, and it was rightfully bashed by critics during its release in May 2011.

I explained a great deal about the gameplay for Duke Nukem Forever in my status update months back. Simply put, this game simply didn't deliver. Compared with other games of its time like LA Noire, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Dead Space 2, Killzone 3 and a few others, Duke Nukem looks like a 90s product that had aged like sour milk. Duke Nukem Forever was initially going to be released sometime in the late 1990s, early 2000s, but issues with development managed to push this back by over a decade. So much looked promising from this old trailer:

There are a lot of inconsistencies with this game. What aggravated me the most were the poorly implemented platforming bits where you are shrunk down and have to maneuver your way thru obstacles to progress forward. In one part you have to rescue a young female worker who is trapped inside a fast food joint, so you fight your way by jumping across kitchen utensils, fryers and stove tops while avoiding the electricity that is traveling across the water. You never see stuff like this in modern games, it may have worked back in the 1990s but here it's just a complete chore to get thru these platforming bits.

Controls were okay, but not great. Duke Nukem Forever brought back a lot of iconic weapons and bestiary from Duke 3D, including the awesome Shrink Ray and Freeze Ray. Pig Cops are abundant and you run into the occasional Assault Commander who shoots rockets from its anus. Octobrains occupy the more desolate areas and in places where there is alien organic life.

The graphics are subpar, perhaps the developers simply upped the textures and resolution from what was supposed to be an early PS2 era title. They just don't look that good compared with other AA to AAA level PS3 games.

One of the few highlights that made this game shine a little is Duke's Ego, which is basically his health. Doing certain tasks such as scoring a certain amount of points in a particularly frustrating pinball game and looking at sexy women in a magazine increases his Ego, which increases his health bar. It's what I would expect from a character who is generally seen as badass, cocky and a diehard attitude.

Difficulty wasn't too bad even on Insane, although I used Chapter Select which allows you to keep all the Ego you've accumulated on your first playthrough. Some parts towards the end were hard and took several tries which were made harder by the controls. The Dr Proton DLC I actually enjoyed more than the base game, as it was much shorter in length and more consistent, without throwing as many platforming segments.

All in all, I'm still a Duke Nukem fan so I've been a bit biased towards this game. It is an absolute shame that Duke is completely left in the dust, as the games were a childhood relic of mine and it's unlikely Gearbox is going to try to revive Duke anytime soon. But with the surge of reboots in recent times bombing and dividing a loyal fanbase such as that of He-Man, perhaps Duke Nukem himself is best left in the past. Wolfenstein and DOOM both had gotten successful reboots, but who is to say Duke Nukem will ever get one? Bethesda published both Wolfenstein and DOOM, and now Microsoft owns them, so that possibility is completely tossed out the window.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Duke Nukem input
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Platinums :platinum: #284: Duke Nukem Forever (August 3rd, 2021)

1Le84c13.png

Difficulty: 6/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 22 - 25+ Hours

Hardest Trophy: 50Sba3c83.pngDamn I'm Good ( Complete the SP campaign on Insane Difficulty )

Ohh the review that I've been waiting for :D again, congrats for this accomplishment! It's abit sad that Duke has received this treatment given his babe legacy. I do think he is a product of his time that should stick in the past however, because...let's be honest, a LOT of journalists would be beyond happy if a Duke Nukem game would be launched today, they would have a reason to write all those juicy and nasty articles. Let the king be part of history, don't necromance his corpse anymore!

However, I don't think this specific game would have been that well received even if it was launched at the desired time. Somehow nothing in this game landed in terms of humor. And yes, considering the 2000 humor even, somehow I don't know if Duke would have fit then. If I was to think of a game with crude humor that absolutely nails it, I would think of South Park Stick of Truth. Compared to that...I don't think I would have laughed at the peenus monsters from DNF even back in the day where the times "were simpler". So even compared to the old Duke games, this one still kinda sucked ? the DLC was way better though, that one retained the old charm!

32 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Ohh the review that I've been waiting for :D again, congrats for this accomplishment! It's abit sad that Duke has received this treatment given his babe legacy. I do think he is a product of his time that should stick in the past however, because...let's be honest, a LOT of journalists would be beyond happy if a Duke Nukem game would be launched today, they would have a reason to write all those juicy and nasty articles. Let the king be part of history, don't necromance his corpse anymore!

Just picture the Cyberpunk 2077 debacle all over again, and the cancel culture getting on Dave Chappelle. The media loves that shit, and Duke Nukem would just be an easy target, which is perhaps why nobody is taking the risk to make a reboot.

Reboots have been done to death, so I'm not going to be too upset if Duke doesn't get one.

33 minutes ago, Copanele said:

However, I don't think this specific game would have been that well received even if it was launched at the desired time. Somehow nothing in this game landed in terms of humor. And yes, considering the 2000 humor even, somehow I don't know if Duke would have fit then. If I was to think of a game with crude humor that absolutely nails it, I would think of South Park Stick of Truth. Compared to that...I don't think I would have laughed at the peenus monsters from DNF even back in the day where the times "were simpler". So even compared to the old Duke games, this one still kinda sucked 1f605.png the DLC was way better though, that one retained the old charm!

The South Park movie in 1999 would of still predated Duke Nukem Forever, probably the best example of crude humor done right. I love Duke Nukem, but it's just best to let him go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Just picture the Cyberpunk 2077 debacle all over again, and the cancel culture getting on Dave Chappelle. The media loves that shit, and Duke Nukem would just be an easy target, which is perhaps why nobody is taking the risk to make a reboot.

Reboots have been done to death, so I'm not going to be too upset if Duke doesn't get one.

Nah, they’d just do something along the lines of “Reboot Duke” is now Duchess, a black lesbian from Portland who likes farmer’s markets and hosts her own liberal-themed podcast when she’s not taking down waves of redneck insurrectionists in MAGA-esque caps and a Trump-like leader/final boss with their own AR-15s.

44 minutes ago, Tsundokuist said:

Nah, they’d just do something along the lines of “Reboot Duke” is now Duchess, a black lesbian from Portland who likes farmer’s markets and hosts her own liberal-themed podcast when she’s not taking down waves of redneck insurrectionists in MAGA-esque caps and a Trump-like leader/final boss with their own AR-15s.

Every bit as disgusting, but you get the point. Lucky that Wolfenstein and DOOM were able to get their respective reboots.

On 28/07/2021 at 5:25 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Platinum :platinum: #273: Ducati - 90th Anniversary (March 27th, 2021)

Difficulty: 5/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 16 - 18 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 12Sa86159.pngThe Champion ( Reach at least the third place in all the events in the Historic Tour mode )

I'm a few months late here, but congrats on finishing this game.  I still can't beat any of those damn Time Trials - I think there was one where I fell short of the bronze time by a TENTH of a second, and a couple of others where I fell short by 1-2 seconds, and I don't think I'll ever beat them.

On 18/08/2021 at 7:07 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Platinum :platinum: #275: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (May 4th, 2021)

Difficulty: 4/10

Excitement Rating: 8/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 50+ Hours

Hardest Trophy: 47S9cfae9.pngCommitted to the Cause ( Reach level 55 in Multiplayer  )

AC IV was an excellent game - I platted it on PS3 and PS4 and enjoyed it both times.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that Committed to the Cause is the "hardest" trophy - it's a bit of a grind, yes, but it's not "hard".  The way to make this more enjoyable is to play Wolfpack with a friend - you can chat to each other whilst playing and make the overall grind more tolerable, and the time targets are easier to meet since you don't have to do everything yourself.

EDIT: I see you have MGS Peace Walker listed as unstarted on your PS3 - that game has a few online trophies, so I would advise you to get started on the game as soon as possible, just in case.  It was released years ago, and PS3 servers are shutting down left, right and centre, so better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by StewartBros
  • Like 1