Dead Star Servers to close November 1st

Shadiochao

It's understandable that the game just didn't pan out, but pretty crappy of them to give 2 weeks notice on the servers.

Also a bad look for Sony. That's at least two games that have been offered on PS plus this year that have already lost online services (this plus Call of Juarez.)

FYI, the Call of Juarez "shutdown" hasn't affected the game at all. Even the multiplayer trophies are still achievable. Still wish the PS+ offerings were a little better, though.

Yeah, it was only the Uplay service that got shut down. Not the multiplayer servers themselves. 

It's pretty near 100% impossible unless you already had just about everything done. Takes over two weeks based on the majority of the plat times, if you're lucky. 

Yeah, you might be able to clean up some small stuff, but level 50 takes a while. So can waiting for a contract to drop. Over on the official forums, some regulars have asked the community contact guy if they can turn on double XP for the remaining time as a going away present. He's said he'll look into it. So if you just have to gain those last few levels, that would help.

EDIT: Triple XP is live for the rest of the game's lifespan; hope that helps somebody!

That's fucked, not even half a year up and only two weeks notice for server closer. Won't play a game from these devs again that has online. 

Yeah. Two weeks' notice is rough on something this grindy. Armature really did not handle the player community well on this game.

Edited by rdhight

Not at all surprised, though I really feel for the people who enjoyed the game. I know I liked what I saw of the gameplay and the setting but to be honest I didn't even bother to download it once I read that it was online/multiplayer only - just completely lost interest.

Yeah, you might be able to clean up some small stuff, but level 50 takes a while. So can waiting for a contract to drop. Over on the official forums, some regulars have asked the community contact guy if they can turn on double XP for the remaining time as a going away present. He's said he'll look into it. So if you just have to gain those last few levels, that would help.

That would actually be a very good PR thing to do, especially with the date of termination being so close following the announcement. Hopefully this gets done, as it might generate some extra players playing it till the last day, and maaaaaaybe bring in a little extra revenue they might not've gotten otherwise. Every penny counts, right?

Last hurrah, guys. I started it, there was nothing to do, and now it's messing up my completion ratio forever. On the last weekend I'll still be able to play it, so I'll make it count. I'll be there.

Are you really concerned about your completion ratio? I mean, come on. Have you looked at your trophy list lately. 

Anyways, back on topic. I find it strange many developers don't even know some of their games have working servers yet these guys complain about the cost of running them. Seems fishy to me. 

Decided to redownload the game because of the 3x xp boost, can't find anyone online at all lol. 

If they wanted to really get people on for the last two weeks they should have increased xp and drop rates tenfold. 3x on just fame isn't really a lot, especially with how few people are playing meaning you can't even get a game going. 

Edited by Gage

Are you really concerned about your completion ratio? I mean, come on. Have you looked at your trophy list lately .

Prarpin has never had an issue with saying exactly what he's thinking. Much respect for that.

So wait, have the game's makers confirmed triple XP? I might jump in if so lol

For whoever that keep saying no one playing there was always someone playing all this time. People actually enjoyed it and there were small groups that played over time. Now since it's shutting down more people are own to finish the trophies. Also its best to change the location to all of regions. Also its possible to get to 50 by then if your at 30 but there will be 24/7 grind. I can see a few level each day until shut down. Unless there's s psn maintenance like the one right now when I was playing it.

It's understandable that the game just didn't pan out, but pretty crappy of them to give 2 weeks notice on the servers.

Also a bad look for Sony. That's at least two games that have been offered on PS plus this year that have already lost online services (this plus Call of Juarez.)

I'm not excusing either of them here, but Microsoft last month put up a game on Games with Gold whose servers were already DEAD. 

Are you really concerned about your completion ratio? I mean, come on. Have you looked at your trophy list lately. 

Anyways, back on topic. I find it strange many developers don't even know some of their games have working servers yet these guys complain about the cost of running them. Seems fishy to me. 

"Concerned" is a stretch, but I try to keep a healthy majority of A ranks. My trophy list lately shows severe signs of house renovation.

A shame. The game was good fun if you were in a squad with friends and co-ordinated properly. With silent or unco-operative randoms it didn't hold my interest. 

Went back to it a while after that initial fortnight or so and the only people online were really high level and well upgraded, so it wasn't as fun to play anymore. 

A real shame for the devs. Turning off a server is never an easy decision, especially when they will have poured so much care into the game over a long period of time. I hope they can bounce back on their next project.

I enjoyed this game it's first month on PS+. After that numbers were dwindling which made it hard to find different players often [when trying to get away from a group more or less in previous matches.]

DLC then ruined the game for me. I wouldn't buy that variety of DLC, but the one's who did made it miserable for others to use the regular ships, so put these two problems together, no amount of time off from game would make Plat possible since I'd always hate playing with the same annoying DLC fully upgraded people.

2 weeks notice is shockingly mean, but truly, they shot themselves in the foot long ago, so it makes sense.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this game it's first month on PS+. After that numbers were dwindling which made it hard to find different players often [when trying to get away from a group more or less in previous matches.]

DLC then ruined the game for me. I wouldn't buy that variety of DLC, but the one's who did made it miserable for others to use the regular ships, so put these two problems together, no amount of time off from game would make Plat possible since I'd always hate playing with the same annoying DLC fully upgraded people.

2 weeks notice is shockingly mean, but truly, they shot themselves in the foot long ago, so it makes sense.

Thanks for that insight, I have decided to just delete this off my download list. Ain't no way in hell I am buying DLC for a game dying in two weeks and it really must suck playing without it based on what you said